175 processing times

Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 175 processing times

Originally Posted by Sugo
not sure where you are getting your info from but according to DIAC its 455 for the nomination, I then pay 2500AUD for the application. The hospital pays nothing.

Also im on a 457 visa so I cant just leave, need to get another job offer who is willing to wait while i apply for another 457 visa, get medicals and xrays and wait for it to be confirmed before changing. Also believe it or not, out of all the hospitals in my city, this is one of the friendlier ones. The others are worse, i hear that from agency aussie nurses who work in all of them.

I think its unfair that I would jump through hoops and end up paying an extra 455 bucks on top of the 2500 or so for the visa and then be bent over a barrel until the visa is issued.

Maybe your lucky and you work in a fair and reasonable workplace, or maybe you have turned into one of the bullies your self, who knows.

I think my plan of getting the defacto visa which will mean I am not under any work restrictions and then apply for the 175 visa is a good one. It means that I can reduce my hours, or change jobs while i wait for the 175 visa, i just wish i knew about it 3 years ago. Its funny that out of 100 or so nurses in my dept there are only 6 or 7 who are full time, and 2 of us have no choice. Its the kind of work/dept that people do not work full time because of burn out. I have done it for 3 years. Back in the UK i would never dream of being a part time member of staff, i didnt need to. The shift allocations were fairer, there was more job satisfaction with a clear career progression. I was enabled to further my practice and given paid study days.

Here in Oz you only get 4 paid study days a year, the rest you have to do in your own time. You have to pay for all courses including in house courses. Remember that these don't benefit me, I won't get paid more if i do these. If i do the post grad i will get an extra 50 bucks a fortnight, but the course costs around 14000 bucks. Also i lose a year and half of leave to attend uni. The only way to then progress in my dept is to wait until one of the ANUMS die, they never leave, most have been there for 20 years and the only people to get management jobs trained at that hospital. 100% fact. When i started the trio had me in the office, (i felt like a turd under their shoe) saying they didnt know what to do with me since they havent had anyone with experience start before, they usually like to 'grow their own'. Nurses in Australia do like to eat their young, the union president said this in a speach. Its true, maybe because im not young and not a push over and have experience they have difficulty dealing with me.

Its amazing that they sponsored me for the 457 visa.
Have to say that a lot of that sounds very similar to what I have heard about nursing in Brisbane.
I'd never actually advise on what visa to go for, but the 175 is definitely better than ENS in that it gives you the freedom to move as soon as its granted, no moral obligations or anything. Main advantage of the ENS is that its quicker than 175 and can be granted onshore.

However the NZ option could be the answer, I don't know what the timeline is but it would give you a good option.

Just beware that the 175 doesn't get granted BEFORE the NZ one (is it the 461?) as the later one will cancel out the earlier one, so if you are still on the 457 when you get the pre-grant letter for the 175 (telling you to leave so it can be granted) contact DIAC at once and withdraw the 461 application!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

not sure where you are getting your info from but according to DIAC its 455 for the nomination, I then pay 2500AUD for the application. The hospital pays nothing.

Also im on a 457 visa so I cant just leave, need to get another job offer who is willing to wait while i apply for another 457 visa, get medicals and xrays and wait for it to be confirmed before changing. Also believe it or not, out of all the hospitals in my city, this is one of the friendlier ones. The others are worse, i hear that from agency aussie nurses who work in all of them.

I think its unfair that I would jump through hoops and end up paying an extra 455 bucks on top of the 2500 or so for the visa and then be bent over a barrel until the visa is issued.

Maybe your lucky and you work in a fair and reasonable workplace, or maybe you have turned into one of the bullies your self, who knows.

I got my info from what you posted, you said you were paying $455 for your visa, you didn't mention the rest so I assumed you were not paying it.

I still think that a lot of people would gladly pay for their visa for the security of PR.

As for your comment accusing me, somebody you do not know of being a bully on the basis of me saying they have to have procedures, well all it shows me is that you are slightly irrational and a bit childish.

Personally, if you have such an axe to grind with your employer I would go for the ENS because it is quicker, bite your tongue and then as soon as it is through, quit.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I got my info from what you posted, you said you were paying $455 for your visa, you didn't mention the rest so I assumed you were not paying it.

I still think that a lot of people would gladly pay for their visa for the security of PR.

As for your comment accusing me, somebody you do not know of being a bully on the basis of me saying they have to have procedures, well all it shows me is that you are slightly irrational and a bit childish.

Personally, if you have such an axe to grind with your employer I would go for the ENS because it is quicker, bite your tongue and then as soon as it is through, quit.
Ok will ignore that last post, i dont want to turn this into a mud slinging thread. However I didnt accuse I suggested. Your posts are not useful, and if you havent been in a similar situation you probably dont fully understand the situation. Nursing here in Australia is not that pleasant, the only good thing is that we are paid alot more than UK nurses.

Thanks for the reply pollyana, yeah it is the 461 visa, so will this override the 457 visa? Im expecting the 461 to take around a month or so, we have friends who did the same and it only took about a month. I hope its the same for us, then we can wait for the 175 visa and i can do something about work. Also wonder if banks will look more favorable on us for a mortgage with this visa?

I also hope they give me a bit of time to get out of the country to get the visa issued, my rosta is usually planned 2 months ahead so cant take a long weekend off easily. Will probably visit friends in NZ for a few days then on way back in get the visa issued. I know since its an offshore visa they can't give me a bridging visa. Shame i cant go to the airport, go through security then come back through immigration and come back in on the pr visa.

karma to pollyana with thanks
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ok will ignore that last post, i dont want to turn this into a mud slinging thread. However I didnt accuse I suggested. Your posts are not useful, and if you havent been in a similar situation you probably dont fully understand the situation. Nursing here in Australia is not that pleasant, the only good thing is that we are paid alot more than UK nurses.

Thanks for the reply pollyana, yeah it is the 461 visa, so will this override the 457 visa? Im expecting the 461 to take around a month or so, we have friends who did the same and it only took about a month. I hope its the same for us, then we can wait for the 175 visa and i can do something about work. Also wonder if banks will look more favorable on us for a mortgage with this visa?

I also hope they give me a bit of time to get out of the country to get the visa issued, my rosta is usually planned 2 months ahead so cant take a long weekend off easily. Will probably visit friends in NZ for a few days then on way back in get the visa issued. I know since its an offshore visa they can't give me a bridging visa. Shame i cant go to the airport, go through security then come back through immigration and come back in on the pr visa.

karma to pollyana with thanks
Firstly , yes the 461 will replace the 457. If they are being granted that quick it could be the answer as you obviously want to change employers and get off the 457 as soon as you can.
I know they don't expect you to leave straight away for the 175 grant - they'll send you a pre-grant letter and ask where/when you intend to go. There are several threads about getting 175s in NZ so if you search around a bit you'll find the timeline to expect once you reach NZ.

Have to admit until recently I was quite sceptical myself about conditions for nurses over here compared to the UK, but I've learned a lot in the last year or so, which is why I can now see where you're coming from and what lies behind your reasoning. I've seen people go home rather than take a visa tying them to certain Aussie healthcare employers, and without hearing it from the horse's mouth (so to speak) it is hard to comprehand how big the difference is between the two countries.