Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Yet another advice request... quite complicated though :P

Yet another advice request... quite complicated though :P

Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

xylaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another advice request... quite complicated though :P

Hiya

I've just registered, been lurking here on this forum for quite a long time now but never really got time to register... so hi everyone

First of all, sorry for a nuissance, I'm sure every new person comes here with exactly the same questions yet for all of us (new people) these questions aren't really the same

Been thinking of migrating for couple of years now (yeah, I'm a thinker ), first Australia (4 years ago), then Canada (2 years ago) and now I'm on another crusade for NZ.

The problem is, my situation is kind of complicated, I was about to move to Canada but they had changed the wanted skill list and I'm not on it anymore.

The reason for all of that is, I'm bored , I'm living in Ireland for 6 years now and just can't cope with the lack of sun. I'm here with my family, wife and 13 years old daughter who is pretty much irish girl now. Unfortunately, we're not, being polish so we're looking to explore a little bit more of the world outside.

The thing is, my education and work experience is kind of weird mix&match so I'm not sure if the calculation done by EOI makes any sense at all. I would like an advise on what kind of strategy should I undertake in order to get through the whole immigration process less painfully...

So, the calculator shows 125 points without any job offers... just basic education etc... that's not enough, right?

So... I tried to experiment a bit - 145 points with my wife doing IELTS... that would put us through the threshold but in a very wierd way...

In fact, I'm not sure if I did this right at the first place... Can you please confirm if I'm thinking correctly?

Skilled Employment - all NOs

Qualifications
Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8) Yes (PHD Media Studies - Internet Communication)

Do you have a recognised post-graduate qualification? Yes (I suppose that's the answer, according to ANZQ my uni is recognised and my qualification is exempt from assesment (uni lecturer/ postdoctoral fella)

Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's:
identified future growth areas?
Yes ( again, I suppose, uni lecturer?)
areas of absolute skills shortage?
Yes (same as above? can I claim both?)

Relevant Work Experience
Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) - that's about 10 years (4 years in PL, 5 years in IE, correct?)

Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's:
identified future growth areas ? - that's 4 years at uni I guess?

areas of absolute skills shortage ? - same as above? again, that doesn't make any sense

Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage? Yes (same as above???)

Partner
Do you have a partner? Yes
Would your partner have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant? Yes/No ( she can do IELTS, no probs

Does your partner have a recognised qualification ? (level 7, 8, 9 or 10) Yes (pretty much same thing as with me, MA in economy in PL, uni is recognised according to ANZQ thingy...)

Now, assuming I did all of that correctly, will that be a proof of anything to Immigration people? Here in Ireland we're kind of adapted to a different environment, so I was working mainly in IT industry (ICT support, customer service, game industry + couple of my own projects, none of them is really relevant to my academic education, I wasn't teaching since then), my wife is currently doing Pharmacy technician course and working in a pharmacy which isn't relevant to her education either...

Therefore, I'm wondering if all of the above would really make sense to the immigration guys? Because for me it doesn't :P

So I was thinking, what if I get a job offer in NZ, let's say somewhere in IT sector (ICT i mean :P), I would probably need to fly there first anyway. Would that increase my chances? Again it would be more or less irrelevant to my previous teaching experience. Does your education and job offer need to match or not?

Because if not, I should probably get a job offer then, any kind of working visa and then apply for a PR from NZ right? That would be probably easier and faster... But could I take my family with me then? This is the only option obviously so either we're going all together or we're staying in this dark wet windy ugly piece of rock for eternity - which would of course make my daugther extremelly happy...

So that's my dillemma... Sorry again, I know it's long and probably boring for most of ya as you can probably answer all my questions within 2 seconds... But I'm just confused and the more I read about it the more confused I feel

Help please?

Cheers
Andrew
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Yet another advice request... quite complicated though :P

Does your education and job offer need to match or not?
It needs to match. For anything in IT you need an IT degree.

For your age = 25 points

• 50 points: recognised level 7 or 8 qualification (e.g. bachelor degree, bachelor degree with honours)
  • 60 points: recognised level 9 or 10 post-graduate qualification (masters degree, doctorate)
Which of these do you have. You mention level 7 or 8 but then mention a PHd
Skilled work experience 10 years = 30 points.
Are you saying you have worked for 10 years in the above field? The qualification needs to match the work exp and vice versa.
Please search HERE and come back with the occupation that most closely matches your work experience per your qualifications

20 points: if your partner holds a level 7+ qualification.
So that is 20 points for your wife's quals if they meet the criteria.

Here is a link to the absolute shortage list.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

xylaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey BEVS

Thanks very much for the reply, now it makes much more sense indeed

I've redone my calculations and it sums up at around 125-135 points without a job offer so the most rational thing would be then simply to add a job offer to it.

Which probably is the most reasonable thing to do anyway...

Thanks for the help
Andrew
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There is a whole lot of difference between 125 points and 135 points.

Be aware it is possible to be deemed over qualified . A qualification must match the level required for a named occupation. Not more and not less.

Yes. Any job offer within the fiend of the qualification held strengthens and will prioritise the application