Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

What about the chances if i have 120 points

What about the chances if i have 120 points

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

limeloveaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about the chances if i have 120 points

dear frnds,
i'm new to this forum. i have done Bachelors of pharmacy(4yrs) and M.B.A in health care. i've 3 yrs exp. as Hospital pharmacist. acc. to my calculation my points are 120. should i aplly for EOI or not ?
What are the chances for PR ?
Please reply.
Thanks.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: What about the chances if i have 120 points

Originally Posted by limeloveaman
dear frnds,
i'm new to this forum. i have done Bachelors of pharmacy(4yrs) and M.B.A in health care. i've 3 yrs exp. as Hospital pharmacist. acc. to my calculation my points are 120. should i aplly for EOI or not ?
Please reply.
Thanks.
No one here for reply...
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:22 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What about the chances if i have 120 points

Best thing to do is post where your points come from and wait until NZ wakes up in a couple of hours....
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:41 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

No one here for reply...
Morning and Merry Christmas, maybe santa will bring you a bit of patience this year.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iselection.htm

140 points is the current threshold for PR without a job/job offer.

If you are serious about coming here, then I would suggest you should come over and try and secure a job.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

dear frnds,
Please reply.
Thanks.
No-one can tell you whether or not to submit an EOI or not. That has to be your own decision.

For a PR application to be accepted by NZIS overseas Pharmacists need to be NZ registered .

Pharmacist Council NZ
Old Dec 24th 2011, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
No-one can tell you whether or not to submit an EOI or not. That has to be your own decision.

For a PR application to be accepted by NZIS overseas Pharmacists need to be NZ registered .

Pharmacist Council NZ
As i knw registration is not a requirement for PR application.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 10:37 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just browsing this forum on Xmas day (how sad am I!?) and just wanted to post to say that I am a pharmacist who has successfully emigrated to NZ from the UK.

There are a few tricky points with immigration - like BEVS has said you do need to be registered to be able to get PR, but cannot get registered until you're in NZ - nice hey! So a temp work visa will be issued rather than full PR initially.

BUT hospital pharmacists do seem to be in shortage here (beleive me I've been interviewing non-stop over the past 2 months to try to fill vacancies in our hospital), so you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a job offer - even before you arrive, as most hospitals understand the whole immigration process to some degree.

If you want further info, just let me know - also if you want advice about jobs (if you're looking at hospital work) give me a shout too.

To be able to give you more advice can I ask a few more questions.....
Are you from the UK?
If it's the UK, is it a Bachelors or Masters that you have?
Where are you looking to move to?
Will you be after hospital or community work?
Have you started the process to get registered in NZ yet? (there are exams you need to take)
Old Dec 25th 2011, 1:57 am
`

As i know registration is not a requirement for PR application.
As you will see from the above post, Shelloid is a pharmacist who is willing to help you.. Registration is a requirement.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shelloid
Hi, just browsing this forum on Xmas day (how sad am I!?) and just wanted to post to say that I am a pharmacist who has successfully emigrated to NZ from the UK.

There are a few tricky points with immigration - like BEVS has said you do need to be registered to be able to get PR, but cannot get registered until you're in NZ - nice hey! So a temp work visa will be issued rather than full PR initially.

BUT hospital pharmacists do seem to be in shortage here (beleive me I've been interviewing non-stop over the past 2 months to try to fill vacancies in our hospital), so you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a job offer - even before you arrive, as most hospitals understand the whole immigration process to some degree.

If you want further info, just let me know - also if you want advice about jobs (if you're looking at hospital work) give me a shout too.

To be able to give you more advice can I ask a few more questions.....
Are you from the UK?
If it's the UK, is it a Bachelors or Masters that you have?
Where are you looking to move to?
Will you be after hospital or community work?
Have you started the process to get registered in NZ yet? (there are exams you need to take)
Dear Shelloid
Thanks for your reply and nice to see a pharmacist in this forum.
i'm from india and i have done Bachelors of pharmacy(4yrs) and also pursuing M.B.A in health care that is going to be completed in april. i have 2 and half years exp. as a hospital pharmacist and even i've cleared Ielts with 6.5 overall. please suggest me how to act on the matter. Is it possible for me to got Temp. work visa in newzealand without Reg and a job offer letter.
i have not started the process of reg.
Thanks for ur useful words.

Last edited by limeloveaman; Dec 25th 2011 at 7:48 am.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:15 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

OK, first of all many apologies for not replying to this thread (or your PM) sooner - have had a very busy couple of weeks and not been on line much.

Now from the info you've given so far, I *think* what I'm about to tell you is correct....

I'll split the info into 2 separate sections - 1 part for info regarding NZ pharmacist registration and 1 part for immigration

1 - pharmacist registration
have a careful look through this website: http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.nz/other_overseas
it provides ALL the information you need about registration in NZ. Unfortunately because of the country you're currently registered in, the process is more lengthy than the process I went through (I'm from the UK).

the pharmacy council of NZ (PCNZ)will want to see info regarding your degree and your registration - these must be sent directly from the uni and your registration body.
It also looks like you'll need to redo your IELTs if your overall score was 6.5 - the PCNZ want a minimum of 7 in each band with a 7.5 in the academic catergory. There are exemptions from the IELTs requirements (see the PCNZ website for more info).
There are also some exams that you will need to pass - one being the KAPS exam (knowledge about pharmaceutical science) - only held twice a year. If you've not already applied for the March exam, then the next exam that you will be able to take is in September (you have missed the deadline for the March one).
Once you have passed the KAPS then you will need to take a law & ethics course - I believe this is offered by Auckland Uni and is a 4 month course. I don't know much about this course as it's not one I had to do coming from the UK.
The once you have completed ALL of these you can then start your internship - coming from India you will need to complete a full internship programme which is usually over a period of 44 weeks. This programme is the same as NZ pharmacy graduates have to undergo, so I am not sure how easy it would be to find somewhere that would want to take you on.

When I first replied to your post saying that you should be able to find work, I hadn't realised that you were from India, so I apologise for making it sound easy to register here. The process is very lengthy and not particularly easy if you are coming from a country that has what the PSNZ counts as a non-recognised equivalent qualification.

All of the information I have given you has been direct from the PSNZ informatin booklet for pharmacists applying under the non-REQR route, here: http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.nz/cm...oad.php?id=219

I would suggest starting the registration process before the immigration process as it looks to take a long time.

2 - immigration
I'm not sure how you've figured out your points for immigration so far, but I would suggest using the points indicator on the NZIS website: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Please note that any points claimed for work experience need to be in a comparable labour market or area of skilled shortage - I am not sure whether your work experience would count as India is not seen as a comparable labour market, but your degree does seem to be exempt from assessment for immigration purposes. I would check with immigration about this.
As I have said immigration will not issue full PR without registration - and given that it looks like you'll need to do a 4 month course from Auckland Uni, it may be that you won't even be able to get registration as an intern straight away.

I'd really look more into the whole registration process before going further with immigration, as it looks like even the initial exams will take you up until next year to complete.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hope the info I've given has helped.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shelloid
OK, first of all many apologies for not replying to this thread (or your PM) sooner - have had a very busy couple of weeks and not been on line much.

Now from the info you've given so far, I *think* what I'm about to tell you is correct....

I'll split the info into 2 separate sections - 1 part for info regarding NZ pharmacist registration and 1 part for immigration

1 - pharmacist registration
have a careful look through this website: http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.nz/other_overseas
it provides ALL the information you need about registration in NZ. Unfortunately because of the country you're currently registered in, the process is more lengthy than the process I went through (I'm from the UK).

the pharmacy council of NZ (PCNZ)will want to see info regarding your degree and your registration - these must be sent directly from the uni and your registration body.
It also looks like you'll need to redo your IELTs if your overall score was 6.5 - the PCNZ want a minimum of 7 in each band with a 7.5 in the academic catergory. There are exemptions from the IELTs requirements (see the PCNZ website for more info).
There are also some exams that you will need to pass - one being the KAPS exam (knowledge about pharmaceutical science) - only held twice a year. If you've not already applied for the March exam, then the next exam that you will be able to take is in September (you have missed the deadline for the March one).
Once you have passed the KAPS then you will need to take a law & ethics course - I believe this is offered by Auckland Uni and is a 4 month course. I don't know much about this course as it's not one I had to do coming from the UK.
The once you have completed ALL of these you can then start your internship - coming from India you will need to complete a full internship programme which is usually over a period of 44 weeks. This programme is the same as NZ pharmacy graduates have to undergo, so I am not sure how easy it would be to find somewhere that would want to take you on.

When I first replied to your post saying that you should be able to find work, I hadn't realised that you were from India, so I apologise for making it sound easy to register here. The process is very lengthy and not particularly easy if you are coming from a country that has what the PSNZ counts as a non-recognised equivalent qualification.

All of the information I have given you has been direct from the PSNZ informatin booklet for pharmacists applying under the non-REQR route, here: http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.nz/cm...oad.php?id=219

I would suggest starting the registration process before the immigration process as it looks to take a long time.

2 - immigration
I'm not sure how you've figured out your points for immigration so far, but I would suggest using the points indicator on the NZIS website: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Please note that any points claimed for work experience need to be in a comparable labour market or area of skilled shortage - I am not sure whether your work experience would count as India is not seen as a comparable labour market, but your degree does seem to be exempt from assessment for immigration purposes. I would check with immigration about this.
As I have said immigration will not issue full PR without registration - and given that it looks like you'll need to do a 4 month course from Auckland Uni, it may be that you won't even be able to get registration as an intern straight away.

I'd really look more into the whole registration process before going further with immigration, as it looks like even the initial exams will take you up until next year to complete.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hope the info I've given has helped.
Thanks for ur reply shelloid.
I have calculated my points from official website only and also got confirmed from registered officials of new zealand immigration. but i want to know the thing is that before start my immigration process ( to apply EOI or else) should i have to go thorugh the registration process first ? do i have to take ielts again for immigration process. i want to start my registration process when i'll be dere. means to apply as a pharmacist should i have to meet the additional requirements of pharmacist ?
Thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:31 am
~^_^~

As I've said, if it was me personally I would start the registration process first, because it looks like the whole process could take you over a year in total. You don't necessarily need to have finished the whole registration process before applying for immigration.

I'm not sure about taking and passing the IELTS for immigration as I come fromt he UK and so didn't have to do it.

I'd suggest having a thorough read through of the links I've posted in my last post, and reading through the immigration website for more info - everything you need is here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:47 pm
`

but i want to know the thing is that before start my immigration process ( to apply EOI or else) should i have to go through the registration process first ?
You should start the registration process by contacting the pharmacy council to see what will be required of you. It may be that you needed a placement in which case this would effect what visa you could look to apply for.

do i have to take ielts again for immigration process
That depends. Was your main education in English?
Was your study to become a pharmacist in English or another language?

If it is YES to the above, then IELTS will not be necessary although NZIS reserve the right to ask for it anyway.

If the answer to the above is no, then a current IELTS is needed.

. i want to start my registration process when i'll be there.
Don't see how you can . You need to contact the NZ pharmacy council to see what they say. You cannot enter NZ without a correct visa in place

means to apply as a pharmacist should i have to meet the additional requirements of pharmacist ?
Yes. You need to meet the registration requirements.

Shelloid has given excellent advice.

Good luck