WTR/Job offer advice please

Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default WTR/Job offer advice please

Hi, We have decided that we want to move to NZ , OH is being forced to retire from the police force in January 2012, he's 48yrs.
We know the NZ police are not recruiting.
Neither of us have enough points for an EOI (PR visa), so we are both trying to go down the WTR route, applying for jobs within companies on the accredited employers list
My questions are ;
1. If offered a job how long does the WTR visas usually take?

2. If offered a job (knowing we have to get visas) do the employees happily wait for the visa to get sorted etc.

I suppose I am trying to work out when the best time is to start applying for jobs, now or nearer christmas?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks for your time x
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all
Default Re: WTR/Job offer advice please

Hi there,

My OH was offered a job by an accredited employer and we came over on a WTR visa. The job he was offered was being advertised in the UK so the company expected to wait whilst whilst we got our visas sorted.

The visa's came through really quickly, the longest part was getting everything else prepared such as the medicals and police certificates. The whole process for us took 2 and half months from job offer to moving over.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

fychan66 is an unknown quantity at this point

can I just ask where you saw the job advert? we are looking to go over but do not have enough points as yet. (confusion on whether OH degree would be accepted)
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

My OH works in retail so it was advertised on a retail recruitment site.

WTR visas are generally for skilled employment which isn't recognised on the shortage list. The number of people in the same role as my OH is pretty small so I assume that is the reason for the job not being on the skill shortage list.

It's called a talent visa for a reason and I think it might not be as easy as just looking at the accredited employers list and applying for jobs.
The accredited companies still have to prove that they can't find people in NZ for their roles in order to become accredited. Accreditation can be taken from them at any time apparently.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:58 am
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

omg, i think it stinks that he is being forced to retire, mind i would embrace it personally and get the hell out of this country. crime is on its way up and police officer are being forced to retire, don't make sense to me. i work alongside the caiu daily and they are so stretched its unreal.

get over there what means possible, goodluck

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Hi, We have decided that we want to move to NZ , OH is being forced to retire from the police force in January 2012, he's 48yrs.
Neither of us have enough points for an EOI (PR visa), so we are both trying to go down the WTR route, applying for jobs within companies on the accredited employers list
My questions are ;

2. If offered a job (knowing we have to get visas) do the employees happily wait for the visa to get sorted etc.

I suppose I am trying to work out when the best time is to start applying for jobs, now or nearer christmas?

omg, i think it stinks that he is being forced to retire, mind i would embrace it personally and get the hell out of this country. crime is on its way up and police officer are being forced to retire, don't make sense to me. i work alongside the caiu daily and they are so stretched its unreal.

get over there what means possible, goodluck

Last edited by josephine123; Jul 25th 2011 at 7:00 am.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Guys for your repies, it is very frustrating to say the least, that two respectable middle class people who have worked for the uk goverment for so long cant get into NZ, still this is what the UK should have done years ago
Still we will keep applying for jobs and fingers crossed luck will be on our side.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Hi - our visas didn't take long at all:

8/9/10 - Applied for job on SEEK
23/9/10 - First telephone interview
4/10/10 - Second telephone interview
12/10/10 - Meeting with UK office
14/10/10 - Job offer from Accredited Company
15/11/10 - Sent off Police Checks
29/11/10 - OH Started at working in UK office
3/12/10 - Went for Medicals
15/12/10 - Medicals Received back
24/12/10 - Email to say that our WTR visa had been approved.

It all moved really quickly for us. In our case the new employers wanted OH to start working ASAP in the UK office while waiting for the visa to come through - He worked there for 3 months before flying out to NZ to start here.

Hope this helps

My questions are ;

Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you KayC, confirms what I thought about 3 months.
Now I need to find out if there is a NZ equivalant to SEEK.
Much appreciated
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

SEEK covers NZ too - that's where OH job was advertised

Thank you KayC, confirms what I thought about 3 months.
Now I need to find out if there is a NZ equivalant to SEEK.
Much appreciated
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The period up to & over the Christmas shutdown/holidays is wind down time for many companies.

(confusion on whether OH degree would be accepted)
Depends where he got it and what for.

what type of jobs are you thinking of?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS

We have now checked with NZ house in London and it appears that even though husband degree is not related to his work, so we cannot put it forward as such on the EOI, it does still count so we have added it.

Husband spent most of yesterday filling in the EOI, some very confusing questions but getting there. Hopefully we will be able to submit it by the end of the week when I have the details of my step siblings.

Husband looking for work in IT, Management rather than engineer.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Moonie - if you can I would suggest going to NZ house and speaking to the guys there as they were extremely helpful and informed us that some of the information we were told by the agent wasn't exactly correct. As with the new rules on points allocation that came in this week they will also be able to tell you the best way to get in.
From my understanding you can have two visa's going at once, obviously you will need to pay for both, we are going ahead with the EOI until my husbands contract with current employer runs out in Sept then we are seriously considering him going over on a work visa which can be turned around a lot quicker than the EOI, if we are not picked out on the EOI and husband gets work we will update the EOI to get the rest of the family out.
Hope that makes sense.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
The period up to & over the Christmas shutdown/holidays is wind down time for many companies.

Bev, not sure if the above question but we are both police officers, so we have those skills but on top of that OH has surveillance, cid work, and more recently special branch.I have the recent skills of working with young people and multi agencies, trying to stop children go missing. i complete one to one work, and have some child protection qualifications, so could be looking for something along those lines. Trouble is none of the above are defined in a recognised qualification