Worked out the cost properly?

Old Nov 19th 2018, 10:14 am
Just Joined

jim79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worked out the cost properly?

Hi,

with the help of a few posts on here, We're looking moving over on a skilled migrant visa for two years to see if we like it. (She's not sure about long term because she's worried about leaving family behind)
I've done a rough working out and for us and the dog to get over and storage would be about 6k.

Obviously hopefully we'll like it enough to stay but if we don't...it'll be another 4-5k to get back.

I suppose the question is, have I worked it out properly and is it worth the money if we only do it for a few years?

sorry, should have mentioned, there s just the two of us and the dog. We're looking at a fairly small storage unit ( about the size of a mid sized shed

Last edited by jim79; Nov 19th 2018 at 10:20 am.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worked out the cost properly?

What about visas, buying a car, paying deposits for things as you don't have credit scores, insurances, etc? In the Canada forum those things usually total about £25k, I can't imagine NZ would be so much cheaper to move to but could well be wrong! It just seems a very low figure to me for emigration.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 11:09 am
Just Joined

jim79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, think I might have missed a few bits and pieces then!
Old Nov 19th 2018, 11:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jim79
Ah, think I might have missed a few bits and pieces then!
It definitely adds up - even just things like having to start from scratch with groceries when you don't have the usual store cupboard full of stuff isn't cheap! It's probably not much use as it pertains to Canada, but just in case it helps this thread has lots of forum members giving their moving costs - at least some of the costs would apply no matter which country you're going to, so it would be worth a look I guess. cost of moving to canada

And I'm sure others in NZ will be along to help with their moving costs/budgets later.

Good luck.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

My family and I are hoping to move to NZ in Q3 2019 all being well. My approx workings are £3500 for flights, £4500 for shipping, £1500 for medicals, £1500 for visas and that's before you, as Christmasoompa has said, factor in cost of securing a rental property (circa $3000), cost of a car (unknown) and general cost of setting up a house from scratch again.

We are estimating about £20,000 for our family of 6, and that's doing it as cheap as we can by shipping as much as we can over.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 6:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

your working out to get back is that UK or NZ ? Also does that cost include insurance?
you also need to look at cost for GP visits, dependant on visa will depend on how much you pay. We are fully funded and we pay approx $55 per visit. I did see somewhere else that someone on a years visa has to pay $150.00 per visit.
Within your visa costs if you gain one then you will need to pay a "immigration levy",
bringing stuff over, possible customs fees ?

Cost of dog, they will need vet visits and rabbies checks and injections and need to pass these before flying, plus cost of quarantine this end, you would be looking at a couple of grand just for the dog, and good luck finding accommodation with a dog in tow, not impossible but will mean you would have less choice. https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/li...cats-and-dogs/
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-res...ne-facilities/
3 years ago appareantly it was 4k, not sure if that was UK or NZ for a Border Collie, but I do know that they have tightened up the process so you would need to contact a pet carrier and a vet to get the latest costs/

Dependant on size of storage unit you would be looking at a cost for storage of no less than $45.00 per week, this may or may not be GST inclusive.

so yeh think you have really underestimated
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Pinchendavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently doing all of this, moving with my wife and two little dogs.

Our medicals £810 (paid), police certificates £90 (paid), essential skills visa and partner visa £400ish (paid), EOI for skilled migrant visa and partner visa £400(sh (paid), actual skilled migrant visa and partner visa £3500(ish), rabies vaccines for dogs has to be done at least 6 months before flying) £300 (paid), blood tests for rabies £98 (paid), pet shippers £3400, other tests and vaccines 8 weeks before the dogs fly £400, property shipping (based on a 20ft container £3700, flights £1500, Airbnb for 2 weeks when we land $1000, deposit, bond and weeks rent when we find somewhere $5500 (Max), Car $10000 (Max) and still waiting for shipping insurance quotes. We’ve budgeted £23k and I’m getting $10k relocation from my employer as well as starting a week after we land in January, so will be earning, near enough, straight away.

Experiencing a new adventure in an amazing part of the world - priceless!
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

I agree that you may have underestimated the costs. Small things like restocking the kitchen, cleaning supplies and bits and bobs to restock a house quickly adds up, as someone else has already mentioned. You also need a contingency in case rental or car purchase doesn't happen as you planned. I would say try and have 20% on top of your estimate as a guide.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

Where will you be based as the price of two weeks accommodation can be expensive and your $1000 might not go as far as you hope

Originally Posted by Pinchendavid
Currently doing all of this, moving with my wife and two little dogs.

Our medicals £810 (paid), police certificates £90 (paid), essential skills visa and partner visa £400ish (paid), EOI for skilled migrant visa and partner visa £400(sh (paid), actual skilled migrant visa and partner visa £3500(ish), rabies vaccines for dogs has to be done at least 6 months before flying) £300 (paid), blood tests for rabies £98 (paid), pet shippers £3400, other tests and vaccines 8 weeks before the dogs fly £400, property shipping (based on a 20ft container £3700, flights £1500, Airbnb for 2 weeks when we land $1000, deposit, bond and weeks rent when we find somewhere $5500 (Max), Car $10000 (Max) and still waiting for shipping insurance quotes. We’ve budgeted £23k and I’m getting $10k relocation from my employer as well as starting a week after we land in January, so will be earning, near enough, straight away.

Experiencing a new adventure in an amazing part of the world - priceless!
Old Nov 21st 2018, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Pinchendavid is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s an Airbnb that I’ve booked in Mt Eden. They gave a discount for biking two full weeks