Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Visa application - completing the form yourself

Visa application - completing the form yourself

Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

joshywoshy is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Visa application - completing the form yourself

Hi All,

From anybody who has first hand experience, how easy is it to complete the visa application yourself i.e. without the services of a migration expert/consultant. Did you make any mistakes which delayed the process?

For the full picture, I am applying for an essential skills work visa, my employer has already been very helpful with the documentation - proof they have exhausted the nz job market before looking overseas etc.
I will also be bringing my partner and 1 yr old child on a partner of a worker work visa, and a dependent child student visa.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 21st 2018, 7:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa application - completing the form yourself

lots of us done it all ourselves, there is a manual with it that takes you through the application form step by step, so as long as you read that along with the application form you will be fine.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Pinchendavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My wife and I did our essential skills and partner visas and submitted them on Monday of this week. We found them relatively easy to do and where I did get stuck, which was largely due to querying the amount or type of evidence that would be acceptable, I called the INZ helpline. They run a fantastic 24/7 service and can tell you exactly what is needed.

Good luck with it!
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

knickerdropofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pinchendavid
We found them relatively easy to do and where I did get stuck, which was largely due to querying the amount or type of evidence that would be acceptable, !
Exactly my problem. A little self-doubt pushes you to add that extra evidence required.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 25th 2018, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

joshywoshy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. I'll be having a go myself then
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joshywoshy
Thanks everyone. I'll be having a go myself then
you'll be fine, check the information booklet as you go along, give us a shout or just give INZ a call
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

We did our own visas. Just make sure you answer all the fields, putting "n/a" where it is required. We left some fields blank and that caused stress and added to the overall delay of the application as it was all sent back to the UK and then had to be returned to NZ. Rule of thumb is to provide more info that what you think they need. The helpline is very good and so is the documentation and guidance notes.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Koalabear is an unknown quantity at this point

A question, please: I’ve seen ‘n/a’ mentioned quite a few times on the forum. However, whenever I tried to do that, it then requests details (e.g. ‘other names you are or have been known by’ which in my case is ‘n/a’). I put ‘not applicable’ down for middles names though??

Otherwise, my experience so far is that the form is straightforward enough to complete!