work to residence help.

Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default work to residence help.

Have I got this right?

1)If you get a 'work to resident' visa you have just 6 months after arriving in NZ to get a job? And during this period at least two months must be in your profession. Is this how it works? cos I have read on other posts that it can take 6 months to get a job and that many companies want 'nz experience' making it harder? Principle applicant is looking for IT work.

2) Once a work visa is issused how long to we have to get our arses over there? (Worried about the time it takes to sell house).

3) Also once over there we will then have to apply for permanent residency all over again with new medicals and more fees

4)Also I understand that time on your 'work to residence' visa doesn't count towards permanent residence time. What I am thinking this means is that if we wait 6 months to make sure we love it and then apply for permanent residency we will have to be in the country at least 5.5 years to get NZ passports?

Help drowning in negativity.....
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: work to residence help.

Originally Posted by nero
Have I got this right?

1)If you get a 'work to resident' visa you have just 6 months after arriving in NZ to get a job? And during this period at least two months must be in your profession. Is this how it works? cos I have read on other posts that it can take 6 months to get a job and that many companies want 'nz experience' making it harder? Principle applicant is looking for IT work.

2) Once a work visa is issused how long to we have to get our arses over there? (Worried about the time it takes to sell house).

3) Also once over there we will then have to apply for permanent residency all over again with new medicals and more fees

4)Also I understand that time on your 'work to residence' visa doesn't count towards permanent residence time. What I am thinking this means is that if we wait 6 months to make sure we love it and then apply for permanent residency we will have to be in the country at least 5.5 years to get NZ passports?

Help drowning in negativity.....
Hi Nero,
my understanding is that to apply for a Work to Residency visa you must have a job offer with an acredited employer (which also means your salary must be over $45k). After 2yrs on this visa you can apply for residency. sorry don't know if need medicals/police reports again but i guess you would.
You saying about having 6 mths to get a job - i can only assume you mean that you can enter NZ as a visitor/tourist and stay for max of 6mths, you could come and try and find a job in that time, but you need to allow time for prcessing the visa.
cant apply for citizenship/passport til been PR for 5yrs, which means 7yrs after starting work.
With PR you have to move to NZ within 12mths of being granted, with visas i dont think you get that long. we applied for work visas in june and stated on application that we would be travelling in oct and that was ok, the visas ran for 3yrs from that date.
Hope it helps, Judy
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:10 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work to residence help.

We initially looked at WTR visa, and were told by NZIS that we could go out on a WTR and then submit for PR as soon as you land in NZ !!

He also said that so long as they were still valid, there's no reason why you couldn't use your medicals and police certificates for both, but I'd get that bit in writing.

Sarah