Work permit vs Permanent residency

Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:47 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Here comes the sun's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 243
Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Lightbulb Work permit vs Permanent residency

Im in the process of gaining PR im waiting for the ITA, is it possible to switch to a work visa? Is the process of applying for a work permit any cheaper? Would you still need medicals?

Sorry for all the questions! I hadnt really considered a work permit but the hospital ive applied to suggested it i suppose to get us out there sooner. Either way we cant leave for 12 months but financially we will struggle to clear all our debt before we leave, so if the work permit was a cheaper option i would consider it, if it wasnt to late.

I dont want to stay in the UK longer than 12 months as my daughters in a fee paying school (we would have to pay for another term) and i dont want her education disrupting too much so the end of the summer holidays seem the natural point to move

Any advice appreciated thanks!
Here comes the sun is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:37 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,813
happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Work permit vs Permanent residency

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun View Post
Im in the process of gaining PR im waiting for the ITA, is it possible to switch to a work visa? Is the process of applying for a work permit any cheaper? Would you still need medicals?
Yes, I suppose you could still apply for a work visa. You'd need to have an offer of employment from a sponsoring New Zealand employer. If you get a work visa your partner will also get a work visa valid for the same period as yours. Any dependent children will get student visas. Your visas will allow you to enter New Zealand and upon arrival you will have work permits or student permits stamped into your passports. If the permits are for less than a year no police clearances nor medicals are required. However, if the contract is for a longer period than one year you will need the police clearances and medicals done. If you decide to apply for PR you'll have to get medicals done again as well as supply new police clearances. Don't you just love paperwork?



good luck.
happynz is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2007, 12:03 pm
  #3  
you dewty owld maan!
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: is practically perfect in every way
Posts: 5,564
lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit vs Permanent residency

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
Yes, I suppose you could still apply for a work visa. You'd need to have an offer of employment from a sponsoring New Zealand employer. If you get a work visa your partner will also get a work visa valid for the same period as yours. Any dependent children will get student visas. Your visas will allow you to enter New Zealand and upon arrival you will have work permits or student permits stamped into your passports. If the permits are for less than a year no police clearances nor medicals are required. However, if the contract is for a longer period than one year you will need the police clearances and medicals done. If you decide to apply for PR you'll have to get medicals done again as well as supply new police clearances. Don't you just love paperwork?



good luck.
mmm....depends how you play it with meds/police certs. If you need to get to NZ fast on a work visa but really want PR then you can do it all at once and use the same certificates for both - if you submit in person then you start at one desk in NZ house and then move over to the other one, just take another ticket.....easy as. Anyone know what happens with the under 5s? Ours got a visitor's visa and I think it may have been for the 3 years (like the main applicant's work visa) but as the passports are with NZIS I'm not sure.
Good luck 'arr kidd
gee it sum ommer! (resident yamyam talking)
BTW there are benefits from having PR rather than WP - search is your friend!! I'm off to bed.....
lardyl is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:41 am
  #4  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit vs Permanent residency

Originally Posted by lardyl View Post
mmm....depends how you play it with meds/police certs. If you need to get to NZ fast on a work visa but really want PR then you can do it all at once and use the same certificates for both - if you submit in person then you start at one desk in NZ house and then move over to the other one, just take another ticket.....easy as. Anyone know what happens with the under 5s? Ours got a visitor's visa and I think it may have been for the 3 years (like the main applicant's work visa) but as the passports are with NZIS I'm not sure.
Good luck 'arr kidd
gee it sum ommer! (resident yamyam talking)
BTW there are benefits from having PR rather than WP - search is your friend!! I'm off to bed.....

She might be from that posh bit called Soley Hall!!!
P2L is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:19 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 548
Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit vs Permanent residency

I don't think you need medicals for a work visa
Yotty is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:08 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,813
happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Work permit vs Permanent residency

Originally Posted by Yotty View Post
I don't think you need medicals for a work visa
If your work visa is for longer than twelve months you will need police clearances and medicals. If you come here first on a one-year-or-less work visa then no, you don't need the medicals. However, if you wish to extend for a longer period, then yes, medicals will be required. That has been my experience.
happynz is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:08 am
  #7  
you dewty owld maan!
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: is practically perfect in every way
Posts: 5,564
lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit vs Permanent residency

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
If your work visa is for longer than twelve months you will need police clearances and medicals. If you come here first on a one-year-or-less work visa then no, you don't need the medicals. However, if you wish to extend for a longer period, then yes, medicals will be required. That has been my experience.
yep, the thing that slowed us down was the blood tests that stopped the medical results arriving in time and although we had the medical certs in our hands when we applied for PR/work visas the lead time on PR applications was such that we had to take the work visas concurrently so that we could get here in time for MrsL to start work. As we had meds then it seemed sensible to make the applications for the work visas the maximum length - for us it was 2 years. Not sure why.....
lardyl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.