British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work permit vs Permanent residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-permit-vs-permanent-residency-479970/)

Here comes the sun Sep 9th 2007 8:47 am

Work permit vs Permanent residency

Im in the process of gaining PR im waiting for the ITA, is it possible to switch to a work visa? Is the process of applying for a work permit any cheaper? Would you still need medicals?

Sorry for all the questions! I hadnt really considered a work permit but the hospital ive applied to suggested it i suppose to get us out there sooner. Either way we cant leave for 12 months but financially we will struggle to clear all our debt before we leave, so if the work permit was a cheaper option i would consider it, if it wasnt to late.

I dont want to stay in the UK longer than 12 months as my daughters in a fee paying school (we would have to pay for another term) and i dont want her education disrupting too much so the end of the summer holidays seem the natural point to move

Any advice appreciated thanks!

happynz Sep 9th 2007 9:37 am

Re: Work permit vs Permanent residency

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5290515)
Im in the process of gaining PR im waiting for the ITA, is it possible to switch to a work visa? Is the process of applying for a work permit any cheaper? Would you still need medicals?

Yes, I suppose you could still apply for a work visa. You'd need to have an offer of employment from a sponsoring New Zealand employer. If you get a work visa your partner will also get a work visa valid for the same period as yours. Any dependent children will get student visas. Your visas will allow you to enter New Zealand and upon arrival you will have work permits or student permits stamped into your passports. If the permits are for less than a year no police clearances nor medicals are required. However, if the contract is for a longer period than one year you will need the police clearances and medicals done. If you decide to apply for PR you'll have to get medicals done again as well as supply new police clearances. Don't you just love paperwork?

;)

good luck.

lardyl Sep 9th 2007 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5290624)
Yes, I suppose you could still apply for a work visa. You'd need to have an offer of employment from a sponsoring New Zealand employer. If you get a work visa your partner will also get a work visa valid for the same period as yours. Any dependent children will get student visas. Your visas will allow you to enter New Zealand and upon arrival you will have work permits or student permits stamped into your passports. If the permits are for less than a year no police clearances nor medicals are required. However, if the contract is for a longer period than one year you will need the police clearances and medicals done. If you decide to apply for PR you'll have to get medicals done again as well as supply new police clearances. Don't you just love paperwork?

;)

good luck.

mmm....depends how you play it with meds/police certs. If you need to get to NZ fast on a work visa but really want PR then you can do it all at once and use the same certificates for both - if you submit in person then you start at one desk in NZ house and then move over to the other one, just take another ticket.....easy as. Anyone know what happens with the under 5s? Ours got a visitor's visa and I think it may have been for the 3 years (like the main applicant's work visa) but as the passports are with NZIS I'm not sure.
Good luck 'arr kidd
gee it sum ommer! (resident yamyam talking) :thumbsup:
BTW there are benefits from having PR rather than WP - search is your friend!! I'm off to bed.....

P2L Sep 10th 2007 12:41 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5290944)
mmm....depends how you play it with meds/police certs. If you need to get to NZ fast on a work visa but really want PR then you can do it all at once and use the same certificates for both - if you submit in person then you start at one desk in NZ house and then move over to the other one, just take another ticket.....easy as. Anyone know what happens with the under 5s? Ours got a visitor's visa and I think it may have been for the 3 years (like the main applicant's work visa) but as the passports are with NZIS I'm not sure.
Good luck 'arr kidd
gee it sum ommer! (resident yamyam talking) :thumbsup:
BTW there are benefits from having PR rather than WP - search is your friend!! I'm off to bed.....

She might be from that posh bit called Soley Hall!!! :rofl::p

Yotty Sep 15th 2007 11:19 pm

I don't think you need medicals for a work visa ;)

happynz Sep 16th 2007 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 5316368)
I don't think you need medicals for a work visa ;)

If your work visa is for longer than twelve months you will need police clearances and medicals. If you come here first on a one-year-or-less work visa then no, you don't need the medicals. However, if you wish to extend for a longer period, then yes, medicals will be required. That has been my experience.

lardyl Sep 16th 2007 7:08 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5316520)
If your work visa is for longer than twelve months you will need police clearances and medicals. If you come here first on a one-year-or-less work visa then no, you don't need the medicals. However, if you wish to extend for a longer period, then yes, medicals will be required. That has been my experience.

yep, the thing that slowed us down was the blood tests that stopped the medical results arriving in time and although we had the medical certs in our hands when we applied for PR/work visas the lead time on PR applications was such that we had to take the work visas concurrently so that we could get here in time for MrsL to start work. As we had meds then it seemed sensible to make the applications for the work visas the maximum length - for us it was 2 years. Not sure why.....