What type of Visa to apply for?

Old Aug 7th 2013, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Martin_Hastings90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What type of Visa to apply for?

Hi everyone, I have just found this site today after looking around at visa options etc.

I'm hoping someone can help me select the correct Visa to apply for. I'll go into a little detail about myself and our family situation.

Basically to start off i am a floor layer here in the UK and have been since i left school around 10 years ago. I have all the certificates for the job (SQA) while i did my apprenticeship.
I started looking for a job in New Zealand last year. Finally I have been offered one near Nelson which is where we really wanted to go after looking around for a while. I have a contract of employment already to assist with the visa app.

My family consists of my partner Emma who is 25 (who is a beauty therapist in training. Has completed 1 year at collage with certificates and been working in a local salon) myself 27 and two children 6 and 4 years old. We are looking for a permanent move.

We don't have a lot of money and were wanting to do the visa our self to save on costs as much as possible.

Our plan was for me to come over to New Zealand for 3 months to make sure everything is OK and get things sorted out etc (School for the kids, a suitable family home, vehicle). Then for Emma and the kids to come over.

Now the hard part for me is choosing the correct visa. Ive looked into them all and am no further forward. I've been reading other posts about people who have got a working visa then applied separately for there partners and children.
Is this the best way to do it? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to look.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What type of Visa to apply for?

Firstly, welcome to BE!
I'll try and simplify things for you!
I have had a look for floor layer on the ANZSCO list of skilled occupations and can't find it-is there another title it could come under? Floor finisher and wall and floor tiler exist-do these fit your job description?

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Finishers
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Floor+Tilers

I will assume you fit into one of the two categories in the links above!
If you want to stay permanently then you'll need to apply for residency. The two ways to do this are:

1. Skilled Migrant Category - is based on points, have a look here to see how many you have: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...sindicator.htm You need over 100pts in order to submit an EOI. Generally those with over 100pts which include points for a job offer will be selected at each draw. This application can take a while to go through. It may be necessary to apply for a temporary visa to get you started at work-all depends on when the employer wants you to start.

2. Work to Residence - you are issued a work visa which lasts 30m, once you have worked for 24m you can convert this to residency. Floor finishers or tilers are not on the Long term skills shortage list so the only way you could apply for this visa is if your employer is accredited with NZIS and you earn at least $55,000 for a 40hr week. That would be the Talent[accredited employer] stream.

The only other visa available is a Work Visa. This is temporary only and does not lead to residency in itself. As floor finishers are not on the LTSSL or the ISSL [immediate] then the employer would have to prove no NZers could do the job. That job description is on the Canterbury SSL but your job is in Nelson so it doesn't apply.

Hope this helps clarify things a little

To add: You have children so Working Holiday Visas are not an option.
Also doing the visa application yourself is not that difficult-agents are scarily expensive

Last edited by Persephone; Aug 7th 2013 at 5:35 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
Firstly, welcome to BE!
I'll try and simplify things for you!
I have had a look for floor layer on the ANZSCO list of skilled occupations and can't find it-is there another title it could come under? Floor finisher and wall and floor tiler exist-do these fit your job description?

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Finishers
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Floor+Tilers

I will assume you fit into one of the two categories in the links above!
If you want to stay permanently then you'll need to apply for residency. The two ways to do this are:

1. Skilled Migrant Category - is based on points, have a look here to see how many you have: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...sindicator.htm You need over 100pts in order to submit an EOI. Generally those with over 100pts which include points for a job offer will be selected at each draw. This application can take a while to go through. It may be necessary to apply for a temporary visa to get you started at work-all depends on when the employer wants you to start.

2. Work to Residence - you are issued a work visa which lasts 30m, once you have worked for 24m you can convert this to residency. Floor finishers or tilers are not on the Long term skills shortage list so the only way you could apply for this visa is if your employer is accredited with NZIS and you earn at least $55,000 for a 40hr week. That would be the Talent[accredited employer] stream.

The only other visa available is a Work Visa. This is temporary only and does not lead to residency in itself. As floor finishers are not on the LTSSL or the ISSL [immediate] then the employer would have to prove no NZers could do the job. That job description is on the Canterbury SSL but your job is in Nelson so it doesn't apply.

Hope this helps clarify things a little

To add: You have children so Working Holiday Visas are not an option.
Also doing the visa application yourself is not that difficult-agents are scarily expensive
Hi. Thank you for the reply

Sorry for the confusion the job title is Floor finisher.

We score 190 pts. If I go for this route does this visa include my partner and children? I presume that we can apply for residence further down the line with this option?

My employer would like me to start as soon as possible. Also i would be making more money than $55,000 on a 42.5 hour week
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:13 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

[ Hi. Thank you for the reply

That means the job is classed as skilled and so the SMC is available to you

We score 190 pts. If I go for this route does this visa include my partner and children? I presume that we can apply for residence further down the line with this option?
That seems to be a very high score though not impossible The points indicator is not always 100%. However if you have a job offer and over 100pts you are likely to be selected and go onto the next stage. Have a look at the History of Selection Points on the website-it shows you what has recently been selected from the pool.
Have you checked your qualification is here?: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rq/default.htm

The points indicator is for an application under the Skilled Migrant Category only and is an application for residency-you don't apply further down the line with this. You're thinking of the WTR visa!

The whole family goes on one application under the SMC. With a job offer you, your partner and children are very likely to be issued residency straight away.
You will have to prove that you've lived together for more than 12m for your partner to be included, marriage is not relevant, it's the living together they want to see. I suspect you are given the age of the kids

My employer would like me to start as soon as possible. Also i would be making more money than $55,000 on a 42.5 hour week

That's for the WTR visa only. Your employer would need to be accredited. It's $55K on a 40hr week, any hours over 40hrs are not counted. Only a problem if you need those extra hours to push you over the $55k level.
Starting asap may be a problem, you may need to look into a Work Visa as well. I don't know whether NZIS are less strict with the rules if an SMC application is already set in motion

P
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
[ Hi. Thank you for the reply

That means the job is classed as skilled and so the SMC is available to you

That seems to be a very high score though not impossible The points indicator is not always 100%. However if you have a job offer and over 100pts you are likely to be selected and go onto the next stage. Have a look at the History of Selection Points on the website-it shows you what has recently been selected from the pool.
Have you checked your qualification is here?: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rq/default.htm

The points indicator is for an application under the Skilled Migrant Category only and is an application for residency-you don't apply further down the line with this. You're thinking of the WTR visa!

The whole family goes on one application under the SMC. With a job offer you, your partner and children are very likely to be issued residency straight away.
You will have to prove that you've lived together for more than 12m for your partner to be included, marriage is not relevant, it's the living together they want to see. I suspect you are given the age of the kids

That's for the WTR visa only. Your employer would need to be accredited. It's $55K on a 40hr week, any hours over 40hrs are not counted. Only a problem if you need those extra hours to push you over the $55k level.
Starting asap may be a problem, you may need to look into a Work Visa as well. I don't know whether NZIS are less strict with the rules if an SMC application is already set in motion

P
Thank you very much for the help. Waiting to get medical and police certificates done then we will submit an EoI.

Also thank you for the links.

My qualification is listed on the site and awards 40 points
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:22 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Hmm just a thought. Could you come over on a Working Holiday Visa without the children as you mentioned doing above?...you are not allowed to take up permanent work on this visa though.
It might solve the issue of proving no NZers can do the job which is a problem with a Work Visa appl.

Anyone else have an opinion on that?