Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Visa process - What happens if they need more information?

Visa process - What happens if they need more information?

Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

imogenreeves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa process - What happens if they need more information?

Hi all!

My partner has been offered a PhD at Massey University in Palmerston North and we are planning our move!

We have started getting our visa application together (study visa and partnership visa) and have our medicals next week. But I was wondering what happens if we submitted our application but they needed more information?

Would they just reject it and send it back? In which case would we have to pay the fee again?

Or would they contact us and request we submit the missing information and it only delay it by a few days.

This process with the move is costly enough as it is as we don't want to have to pay for an immigration adviser to check our application for us! Obviously we are going to try and ensure we give them everything they need, but I just want to know what the process is.

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:11 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa process - What happens if they need more information?

they will just ask for any additional information if you have not provided it initially. just read the guide that came with the application forms and follow what it says and you should be ok.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

That happened to friends of ours. They just had to post more information to them. In their case it was more relationship proof, so we took note and send probably more info than they required
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant. That is very useful to know. Thanks! Would this be the same if we applied for residency too?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

It was residency we had both applied for so yes it will be 😀
Old Jul 26th 2015, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Nikki!

You wouldn't happen to know if when applying for residency with a partner you pay for two lots of applications? Or just the main applicants?

From looking at the website it seems like you only pay for the main applicant? But that seems a bit too good to be true?! Thanks for the help
Old Jul 26th 2015, 7:48 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you pay one application fee, if you have OH or children on it its the same the cost just increases on the medicals and the levy if you are successful
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Ok that is good to know! Thanks for the help! What is the levy? Is there an additional fee to pay if successful then?
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Is just one visa application, but 2 medicals, 2 X-rays and 2 migrant levies.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:43 pm

yes there is a levy that goes towards helping out immigrants that don't have English as a first language (well that was what I was told it was for). sure we had to pay for the kids as well? will see if I have some documentation on it after school run
Old Jul 26th 2015, 10:15 pm

"Migrant Levy is a fee payable by most residence applicants once their residence is approved in principle.

The immigration officer usually advises applicants in writing if they are required to pay the levy and how much do they need to pay (dependant on the application type and number of applicants).

Migrant Levy is used to fund, or contribute to the funding of the:

provisions of programmes intended to assist the successful settlement of migrants or categories of migrants and
the carrying out of research into settlement issues and the impacts of immigration."

Looks like the migrant levy fee is £160 per applicant up to 4 applicants Migrant levy - New Zealand Immigration Service
Old Jul 31st 2015, 1:25 am
Just Joined

maya_123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've also gone through the same process last year for a PhD. So, everything described below is what I experienced.

If they require any information they'll contact who ever you have consented to contact. As I assume you have applied or will apply by your self as I did, you'll be contacted if they need any clarifications or so.

And of course, the decision will be delayed depending on how soon you can provide them the required evidence. So, my advice is to provide INZ as much as information you can with the application upfront and be honest. As I have heard from my fellow PhD students, hiring immigration agents have not made a single difference in their application processes compared to mine.

If you ever come across any questions that seems so confusing while filling your applications, just contact Immigration NZ, the'll provide you the clarifications free of charge. And any communication between you and INZ can be also used as evidence with INZ's permission (be clear at the point of contact) if any conflicts arise between you and your case officer (believe me it happens).

However, you need to know that if you are self funding you get only a one year visa, which should be renewed at the end of each year of study (believe me, the paper work is nothing compared to the first time). And, regardless of when you apply, your partner's application must be approved first to start processing your application. It does not mean that you have to wait until your partner hear back from her case officer, you can always save time by applying at the same time or probably two weeks after your partner's application is lodged.

And, your partner can always refer to you in her discussions with her case officer, as I did. Usually, PhD offer's are valid for 6 months, so you might not get your application approved as soon as expected since they tend to process applications with a deadline first in peak times .

Hope you got an idea about the process.

Good luck with your applications.

Last edited by maya_123; Jul 31st 2015 at 1:29 am.