LIFE IN NZ - Prison officer

Old Jul 28th 2015, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Andy75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LIFE IN NZ - Prison officer

Hello I am wanting to move to New Zealand with my wife and two children (4-5) I am a qualified prison officer and also just completed 24 years in the Royal Navy military police, would it be difficult for me to move
Thanks in advance
Andy
Old Jul 28th 2015, 11:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: LIFE IN NZ - Prison officer

Can a nice mod move this question to the NZ immi forum, as it's not really anything to do with the USA.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy75
Hello I am wanting to move to New Zealand with my wife and two children (4-5) I am a qualified prison officer and also just completed 24 years in the Royal Navy military police, would it be difficult for me to move
Thanks in advance
Andy
Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread across to our NZ forum. You may have to wait a few hours for a response as the good folks in NZ will be getting their Zzzzzzzzzs in at the moment.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

can only speak about the corrections post which Im pretty sure isnt on any skill shortage lists
Therefore i think you might struggle.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will pop along soon and set you straight
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:02 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

prisons officer is on the skills list but I would suspect that you would require a job offer to gain enough points
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

check out this thread to make sure you fill in the correct fields, some field you have to met certain criteria, as being in NZ or having a job offer in hand.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...d-pool-810756/
Old Jul 28th 2015, 10:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: LIFE IN NZ - Prison officer

Hi there and welcome to BE.

The Department of Corrections is on the New Zealand Immigration Accredited employers list. This means that if there is a suitable vacancy, they are free to offer that to someone from overseas.

If you gained a job offer from the Dept of Corrections you would be looking at what is called a Work To Residence visa. This is a two year temporary work visa which after completion you would then apply for NZ residency.

442111 Prison Officer is not on the NZ Immigration skilled occupation listing.

However - NZIS has this to say.

Originally Posted by NZIS
Appendix 7 - Occupations treated as exceptions An offer of employment or current employment in New Zealand that is in an occupation listed below is eligible for points for skilled employment (see SM7.10.3).
  • 442111 Prison officer
This seems to indicate that although the occupation is not on the skilled listing, the job offer would be considered skilled for residency purposes.

To summarise.

If you can gain a job offer, you can certainly arrive and go on to apply for residency

Job vacancy listing.

Can anyone looking in please double check the above please. Particularly those prison officers that moved over.

Please do come back with your own thoughts Andy75.

I can see several vacancies & each of those regions are very different to each other.

Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Wll there you go, I stand corrected.

Maybe I should just shut up and get me coat !!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Wll there you go, I stand corrected.

Maybe I should just shut up and get me coat !!

I'm a bit confused now.

What you wrote was correct Mr Corrections Officer. Prison Officer is not on any of the shortages lists. It is also not on the skilled occupation list

However, it is the only occupation to be treated differently. It is treated as an 'exception' to current immy policy so , if you like, will be seen as a skilled occupation for the purposes of applying for SMC residency.

A riddle: When is an occupation not seen as a skilled occupation by NZ Immigration, seen as a skilled occupation by NZ Immy
Answer: when the occupation is Prison Officer.

As the Dept of Corrections is on the accredited employer list , that means that the Dept of Corrections can offer posts to overseas POs without going through the rigmarole of approval in principle.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Welcome Andy75

I've sent you a PM.

Pigdog
Old Jul 31st 2015, 7:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigdog
Welcome Andy75

I've sent you a PM.

Pigdog
he won't be able to receive it till he has made three posts, if you really need to send him something, an e mail would be better.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
he won't be able to receive it till he has made three posts, if you really need to send him something, an e mail would be better.
Thank you for that, will email him.