Visa / Immigration advice, please?

Old Sep 9th 2013, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

ellec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa / Immigration advice, please?

Hi all,

New to this and just in the early planning stages of 'hopefully' moving down under, so I have many, many questions rolling about in my head! I'm not even sure which of the visa options I would qualify for

I have had a look at the points calculator, and unfortunately I am scoring around 50 as I don't have any certificate or degree level qualifications.

Will list some of my initial queries for ease:

- At this stage I will be entering New Zealand on a six month UK visitor visa. I will have around $7-8,000nz to support myself. During this time I will be living with my partner - is this timeframe long enough to then apply for, support/evidence a partnership based visa application?

- My partner is a New Zealand citizen currently going through separation/divorce - will this have any implications to a partnership based visa application?

- I am thinking of entering a debt management plan here in the UK to re-pay some un-secured debts. I will of course continue to pay when in NZ - will this affect any visa / immigration application?

- In 2001, I received a driving ban and fine for being over the legal drink drive limit - do I have to declare this / will this show up on Police Certificates (when equired further down the line) and will this affect any visa / immigration application?

Any advice on the above would be very much appreciated at this early stage.

Cheers
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:03 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa / Immigration advice, please?

6mths is not long enough, its a minimum of 12mths

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ed/default.htm

and looking here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ck/default.htm

you would not get residency

there are possibly other visa's you could try to come over on like the working holiday visa if you fit the criteria
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply MrsF.

My partner and I have been in a relationship for just over a year now, I have been over to NZ twice and he has been to UK twice aswell. We can hopefully support this through various forms of evidence, references from family/friends, communication via email, Facebook, viber etc... Would this count towards partnership visa?

I wouldn't qualify for working holiday visa as unfortunately I am the wrong side of 30!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

annie1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ellec
Hi all,

New to this and just in the early planning stages of 'hopefully' moving down under, so I have many, many questions rolling about in my head! I'm not even sure which of the visa options I would qualify for

I have had a look at the points calculator, and unfortunately I am scoring around 50 as I don't have any certificate or degree level qualifications.
Hi Ellec,

Hopefully I can help answer some of your questions, as I've been in the same position so can relate to your concerns.

Will list some of my initial queries for ease:

- At this stage I will be entering New Zealand on a six month UK visitor visa. I will have around $7-8,000nz to support myself. During this time I will be living with my partner - is this timeframe long enough to then apply for, support/evidence a partnership based visa application?
This timeframe isn't enough time to apply for a partnership based residency application as the requirement is you should be living together for 12 months however, I came here on a UK visitors visa in July and moved in with my partner who is a NZ citizen. As we have not lived together for 12 months I applied for a partnership based temporary visa (form INZ 1198). This visa allows me to work. NZ Immigration have given me a 12 month visa.

- My partner is a New Zealand citizen currently going through separation/divorce - will this have any implications to a partnership based visa application?
Unfortunately, I cannot answer this, but someone else on the forum may be able to.
- I am thinking of entering a debt management plan here in the UK to re-pay some un-secured debts. I will of course continue to pay when in NZ - will this affect any visa / immigration application?
I am currently in a UK DMP and still continuing to pay while I'm here. I would think as long as you continue to pay your debts there shouldn't be a problem.

- In 2001, I received a driving ban and fine for being over the legal drink drive limit - do I have to declare this / will this show up on Police Certificates (when equired further down the line) and will this affect any visa / immigration application?
this will not affect your entry to NZ. I assume you did not serve prison time, if you have then I am not sure what the implications of this would be. However, you must declare your driving conviction on all applications as this could cause you problems down the line if you do not tell the truth.

Any advice on the above would be very much appreciated at this early stage.

Cheers
I hope my answers have helped, if you need any more information please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 9th 2013 at 10:37 pm. Reason: adjust quotes
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

annie1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ellec
Thanks for your reply MrsF.

My partner and I have been in a relationship for just over a year now, I have been over to NZ twice and he has been to UK twice aswell. We can hopefully support this through various forms of evidence, references from family/friends, communication via email, Facebook, viber etc... Would this count towards partnership visa?

I wouldn't qualify for working holiday visa as unfortunately I am the wrong side of 30!
Hi Ellec,

When submitting my application for a partnership-based temporary visa I supplied the following:-

A letter detailing the history of our relationship
a list of email communications with times and dates (I didn't print off all emails as there were 2,000+, just a screen shots).
Skype records
mobile phone record showing calls from UK mobile to NZ number
Home phone bills showing calls from my UK phone to NZ number
Photos of us together
Wedding invitation
Facebook pages showing relationship
Pictures from Instagram that my partner's daughter took of me

I didn't think it was enough but I submitted my application on 30th August and received the visa in my passport on 9th Sept. In total 5 working days!!!!

When you eventually apply for the partnership based residency visa, the information you supply will help, however the residency visa process is more stringent I believe and you will be assessed as a couple.

Hope that's helped.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by annie1969
This timeframe isn't enough time to apply for a partnership based residency application as the requirement is you should be living together for 12 months.
True. NZIS like lots of info regarding commitment to a long term ongoing partnership. Even a marriage cert and having kids is not enough.

However, I came here on a UK visitors visa in July and moved in with my partner who is a NZ citizen. As we have not lived together for 12 months I applied for a partnership based temporary visa (form INZ 1198). This visa allows me to work. NZ Immigration have given me a 12 month visa.
Yes. This would be the way to go.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We had been married for 12 years when our residency application went in, even we had to provide additional information, apart from marriage certificate, mortgage statements, bills, photographs, childrens birth certificates (we have 3).

So as BEVS says just being married isn't always enough, so if you are in a relationship, the more paperwork and proof of your relationship the better.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Thank you annie1969 in particular, your reply has been very informative. I think the 'partnership based temporary work visa' application upon arrival in NZ was really what I was trying to find out about! I'm slowly but surely getting used to all the immigration lingo and abbreviations ! I have a few more detailed queries, so your offer of PM would be great if you don't mind?

Appreciate you taking the time
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It's all been said but to answer your question about his previous relationship. I can only see it being a problem if he has previously sponsored a partner from overseas and even then it depends on how many years ago.
For a temp visa he must be eligible to support your application under the Partnership residence category within 12 months of your application:
http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/EligibleSponsor.htm