Visa Concern

Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Gameroll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Concern

Hi, this is the first time I have ever ventured onto a forum, but thought it was about time to received some help for some niggling concerns. My husband has a teaching position awaiting him in NZ even though he still awaits the ok from NZQA. We have only booked one-way tickets but are now getting a little concerned that we may have problems if the working visa hasn't come through in time for Feb. Perhaps we should have booked a return ticket to save any problems. I have read that as long as we can prove we have enough money for return tickets for the whole family we should be ok. Do you think this will definately be the case?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:48 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Concern

Im sure they will be with you in time. Long time since I had anything to do with NZIS but I thought working visas could be got in a matter of days?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:42 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gameroll
Hi, this is the first time I have ever ventured onto a forum, but thought it was about time to received some help for some niggling concerns. My husband has a teaching position awaiting him in NZ even though he still awaits the ok from NZQA. We have only booked one-way tickets but are now getting a little concerned that we may have problems if the working visa hasn't come through in time for Feb. Perhaps we should have booked a return ticket to save any problems. I have read that as long as we can prove we have enough money for return tickets for the whole family we should be ok. Do you think this will definately be the case?

I have a job offer and was turned fown for a work visa! The company who offered me the job asked NZIS and they told them to get me to go for a work visa for 18months initially to get me there quicker but the London NZIS decided that they have a different view on this and sent all my documentation back and told me to reapply as in their opinion that I was going to be in NZ longer than 2years (this has now been changed to 1year)as I had been offered a perm. job.

I have since had a successful EOI, this only took 4days, and will be submitting my PR in 2weeks once I have my police reports, I have been told I will have my PR if everything is ok before New Year.

Moral - have a plan B in place.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:48 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Gameroll
I got my working visa in about 5 days - but I went to the NZ embassy in person with xrays and police certs etc and put them in the officers hand and showed them the bump on my (Kiwi) wifes tummy!! that did the trick!..... that was obtain a visa on the Family basis - i dont know if the Work basis will have different timings and requirements (would make sense if it did)....

One potential plan B that seems to work.... as long as you have an Onward (outbound) ticket for your whole family (to Australia for example), you should still be allowed in on a visitors permit - you wont be able to work of course.... .. there are lots of EasyJet/RyanAir equivalents operating between NZ and Australia.... JetStar being the newest among them (their advertising has me in stitches) but ther are others whos names escape me....

hth

Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:42 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to say but no visa you must have a return ticket. Also if you are shipping goods over you will get taxed at the NZ side of things and/or have to leave a bond for when your visa comes through. The other hurdle is if you have applied for the visa in teh UK they require your passports to be sent with the application so you wont be able to fly anyhow.

Other thing you could do is buy return ticket apply onshore. Much quicker and cheaper. Just make sure you have all the paperwork in order and dont end up like my mate who has had to wait a year to have her PR processed. Saying that they gave her a visa to tide her by... more money for them is teh way I see it.

I would call the travel agents and make the return 6 months from date of flying. Thats the max you can stay anyhow.

ps do you have kids or animals going with you. If so your kids will be charged as overseas students to enrol in school and your pets wont be allowed to enter the country unless you have someone there that says they are theirs.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Your work visa is reliant on NZQA then. NZIS need to know that your husbands quals match the job offer and that he has the correct license/registrations in place with the Teaching Council of NZ.

teaching council link

Your visa will not be processed until the qual. and registration requirement has been satisfied.
You should chase NZQA.

NZIS normally process completed applications in order of job start dates.
Its not unusual for applicants to be panicked by communications from NZIS telling them their applications will be processed just before the job start dates. Visas always turn up in time. NZIS need to keep NZ employers happy.

Have your husbands employer contact NZQA or the Teachers council to try to hurry the process up.
Once you have the necessary , you can ask your case officer to prioritise your application. Do this very politely though.

No completed assessment or registration = no visa.

Without the work visa , the only way you can enter New Zealand is by visitors visa. This means a two-way air ticket.

Let us know how you are getting on .
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:19 pm
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

theduke, is it really the case that they wouldn't process your work visa request. Or did they suggest that you could go for PR in the first instance & that it would be processed in time?

I have a job starting March & am anxious about the timing of going for medicals, etc for the 2yr work visa. I'm thinking of just applying for a 12 month one, as we're planning to apply for residency when we get there anyway. That way we can avoid the medicals & XR until we get over there (usual story, passports need renewing too, 1st available medical appt is 10th Jan...etc). Didn't expect that NZIS might refuse work visa on the basis that the job is clearly long term.

Danny

Originally Posted by theduke
I have a job offer and was turned fown for a work visa! The company who offered me the job asked NZIS and they told them to get me to go for a work visa for 18months initially to get me there quicker but the London NZIS decided that they have a different view on this and sent all my documentation back and told me to reapply as in their opinion that I was going to be in NZ longer than 2years (this has now been changed to 1year)as I had been offered a perm. job.

I have since had a successful EOI, this only took 4days, and will be submitting my PR in 2weeks once I have my police reports, I have been told I will have my PR if everything is ok before New Year.

Moral - have a plan B in place.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by drdan
theduke, is it really the case that they wouldn't process your work visa request. Or did they suggest that you could go for PR in the first instance & that it would be processed in time?

I
Danny
NZIS would not suggest this as an alternative. They simply would not suggest this. It is not how the NZIS work.

If you apply for a work visa - they process this.

if you apply through EOI for PR , then they process this.

If you apply for a work visa [permit if in NZ] they will allow or refuse the application. They will not be contacting you with an alternative. I have never heard of this before unless it comes from an acredited employer. An employer having to make a case for employment of overseas in principle to NZIS may have had to show the employment is long term, permantent in order to satisfy NZIS requirements.

Equally i have never heard of anyone being told by NZIS when their PR WILL come through within xxx amount of weeks. The most you can hope for is that your case officer, once you have one, will state where in the process you are. NZIS do not make promises.

having a successful EOI depends on what date you submit your EOI within any one month.