Police checks and Medicals

Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

welsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the rough
Default Police checks and Medicals

Hi guys,

When would you apply for these, and how long do they last.
My EOI was selected early last month, and I want to be as prepared as possible.

I have recieved an email that states EOI can take anywhere upto 6 months for a decision, so am of course worried if I applied for Med's/Police check too early they will expire.

Many thanks

John
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:05 pm
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future
Default Re: Police checks and Medicals

Originally Posted by welsh213
Hi guys,

When would you apply for these, and how long do they last.
My EOI was selected early last month, and I want to be as prepared as possible.

I have recieved an email that states EOI can take anywhere upto 6 months for a decision, so am of course worried if I applied for Med's/Police check too early they will expire.

Many thanks

John
Hi John,

speaking only for ourselves, we were on holiday and got a call from the immigration consultant saying the EOI was going in and we would hear next day - which we did.

The next thing was the invitation to apply. The police clearances take about 4 weeks, (maximum is 10 I believe). The medicals have to be valid for a few months I believe but I dont have access to all my info here. There was a hurry on when we did ours as the medicals have become stricter, (and of course a little more expensive). Basically the medical is Standard GP medical, Chest X-Ray and Blood tests. Takes perhaps two weeks on the conservative side once you have an appointment. Appointements are relatively easy as they are private though Christmas will delay matters.

Basically, once you get to the ITA, (Invitation to Apply), it wont take a huge amount of time to get police clearances or medicvals sorted, so do it then. No point paying for medicals until you get the EOI OK IMHO. It took me longer to get the rest of the required papaerwork sorted - proof of relationship, employer references, etc.

Good luck with the EOI anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

welsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks

Bodgit,

If the paper work does not take that long then, as you suggested, it might be best to wait.
I was hoping to have everything in place for when I am made redundant end Q1 early Q2 next year, and just be able to go.
Guess I might have to take on some temp work to pass the time if it takes any longer.

Thanks Again

John

Originally Posted by Bodgit
Hi John,

speaking only for ourselves, we were on holiday and got a call from the immigration consultant saying the EOI was going in and we would hear next day - which we did.

The next thing was the invitation to apply. The police clearances take about 4 weeks, (maximum is 10 I believe). The medicals have to be valid for a few months I believe but I dont have access to all my info here. There was a hurry on when we did ours as the medicals have become stricter, (and of course a little more expensive). Basically the medical is Standard GP medical, Chest X-Ray and Blood tests. Takes perhaps two weeks on the conservative side once you have an appointment. Appointements are relatively easy as they are private though Christmas will delay matters.

Basically, once you get to the ITA, (Invitation to Apply), it wont take a huge amount of time to get police clearances or medicvals sorted, so do it then. No point paying for medicals until you get the EOI OK IMHO. It took me longer to get the rest of the required papaerwork sorted - proof of relationship, employer references, etc.

Good luck with the EOI anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

Got our police checks back on Saturday - they have 40 days + postage time in which to reply and in our case took the full 40 days.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:05 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Medicals are valid for 3 months and police checks for 6 months. You usually get to hear whether or not your EOI has been successful quite quickly, within a month in our case. I would suggest applying for your police clearance now as it can take up to 42 days to arrive, although in our case it only took 17 days! Medicals are usually fairly easy to get booked as they are done by panel doctors on a private basis and you can usually get in fairly quickly.

Hope this helps...
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Pinkie,

It's been 4 weeks to the day from when I submitted my EOI, but not heard a thing, but if police clearance will last for 6 months then as suggested I might apply for it now, as hopefully I will get an ITA within that time scale.

Thanks

John

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Medicals are valid for 3 months and police checks for 6 months. You usually get to hear whether or not your EOI has been successful quite quickly, within a month in our case. I would suggest applying for your police clearance now as it can take up to 42 days to arrive, although in our case it only took 17 days! Medicals are usually fairly easy to get booked as they are done by panel doctors on a private basis and you can usually get in fairly quickly.

Hope this helps...
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:51 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Hi John,

Hope you hear from NZIS soon. The police check here in Kent took just over 2 weeks. If you go on the NZIS website they will give you a list of the panel doctors you need to visit for your medical. We chose the one near Gatwick after a friend of ours used it . It was superb as the Xray centre was next door.It was all done in a morning. We booked it early but the average waiting list there was about a week if you are flexible.
Good luck..........did you see the Aussie game .... ? awesome....!!!!

Taff
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Taff,

Fingers crossed I will know something soon.
I yes I did see the Aussie game I think..... Unfortunately the pub was serving good old Strongbow @ £1.27 a pint so I cant remember much.

Cheers

John

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Hi John,

Hope you hear from NZIS soon. The police check here in Kent took just over 2 weeks. If you go on the NZIS website they will give you a list of the panel doctors you need to visit for your medical. We chose the one near Gatwick after a friend of ours used it . It was superb as the Xray centre was next door.It was all done in a morning. We booked it early but the average waiting list there was about a week if you are flexible.
Good luck..........did you see the Aussie game .... ? awesome....!!!!

Taff
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:18 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by welsh213
Thanks Taff,

Fingers crossed I will know something soon.
I yes I did see the Aussie game I think..... Unfortunately the pub was serving good old Strongbow @ £1.27 a pint so I cant remember much.

Cheers

John
£1.27 a pint...................???? Ive been living near London too long...!!!!

Its £2.20 a pint in my local...!!!!!..............bugger !!

Will be back in ol` Swansea for a week in January to say goodbye to family and friends. Will take full advantage of the local beer prices..........lush !!

Taff and more.......
Old Dec 8th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Taff I know what you mean though,

I now live in Milton Keynes, and on a good night out it can be cheaper for me to drive back to Wales to have a drink or 6

Originally Posted by taffinkent
£1.27 a pint...................???? Ive been living near London too long...!!!!

Its £2.20 a pint in my local...!!!!!..............bugger !!

Will be back in ol` Swansea for a week in January to say goodbye to family and friends. Will take full advantage of the local beer prices..........lush !!

Taff and more.......