UK Electrician's Mate to NZ

Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

claret73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Electrician's Mate to NZ

Hi
Went to the Manchester Expo today to find out my position as to gaining Visas to NZ. Positives from the 'Immigration NZ' & Confusion from Agents...

I Took a retraining opportunity from my previous career to work with a UK Electrician. I've now had around 15 months experience, with the last 2 as a 'Self Employed Subcontractor', still working as an Electrician's assistant.

My 3 year (Level 3) City & Guilds course finishes in June and have been advised to wait (by Immigration NZ) until I have that qualification before I apply to NZQA for Trade assessment.

So here's a few questions if people may be able to help?:

1/ Should I apply for a Pre-assessment or the full International to determine if my qualification is on par with a NZ employee of similar stature?

2/ I was thinking of going over once exams are finished to see if I can make contact with recruitment agencies or employers to get a feel for the employment prospects; ie: can I work as an 'Electrician's Mate' in NZ, gain their Terminology and regulations prior to sitting their exam, what I imagine I'd have to do.

3/ Could I look at a Visa to residency if I found a position, as from what I heard today, a catch 22 exists of 'needing a visa to get a job, but needing a job for a visa'...or should I be looking at Permanent Residency as my job is on the Long Skills Shortage List (atm).

4/ Should I look at Employment Agents who are on the ground in NZ to assist with the job search or like the application process, just roll along on my own?

I was going to be charged for an assessment of eligibility from an Agent, but surely once I know my employment status from the NZQA, the points table should be easy to work out to apply for an EOI.

I'm 37, Single, no dependents, no house to sell, pets to rehouse or ridiculous outstanding finance. Could pretty much get on a plane in The Summer...
Any thoughts or assistance on this would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks
Andy
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Electrician's Mate to NZ

Originally Posted by claret73
I was going to be charged for an assessment of eligibility from an Agent, but surely once I know my employment status from the NZQA, the points table should be easy to work out to apply for an EOI.
Yes! And there is plenty of help here too, don't splash with an agent for something that is quite straightforward to do yourself....
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

gavin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah mate i came over after qualifying in the uk two years ago on working holiday visa, if the work is here you will habve no problem picking up work/getting a work permit whilst here, working under a employers licence till you get set up.this ties you to the one employer but thats ok to get some experience. Some bigger companies purchase an employers licence which you can work under, though its better to get registered yourself, you can get a provisional licence after you can prove 4years work exp. and your uk qual, they should get you exempt from some of the nz exams, you have to do the regs exam here and normally stage 3 practical. I am doing the exams this june, though have had work for the 2 years ive been here, inbetween travelling abouut, yoou just get paid 5-6dollars less than if you are registered. good luck mate, its worth it, all the houses are wood so no chasing out walls here!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

claret73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the info Gavin!
I'm going to come over in July for a RoadTrip. I'll keep you in mind & if you're about I'll see if I can catch up with you. My Mate from OZ is coming over so will be out & about for some beers...would be good to have a name in the Trade.

So are you applying for PR or are you still on your Holiday Visa or WTR Visa?
No Chasing!! Liking it already...
Where abouts are you now in NZ? If I can keep in touch I'll probably have some direct questions for you if OK?
Cheers again Mate
Andy
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

gavin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah mate, no worries. My 2 year working hol visa just expired so i am now on a 2 year work permit, but have also applied for pr via the skilled migrant. me and the missus are in new plymouth, send us a msg will try help you out with any other questions you may have. there is a lot of heavy industrial work through the oil and gas industries here, also lots of work in the main centres like auckland etc, keep an eye on trademe.co.nz, good place to scout for work. good luck!!