Student Visa - What about Family?

Old May 2nd 2007, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Tentun will become famous soon enough
Default Student Visa - What about Family?

Hi there

Quick question! We've applied for PR but we're in the 'OMG what if we get turned down' stage of thinking.

I was just rambling through the 'what if's' and given that I want to study further (although I was planning on doing that here in the UK before we arrive in New Zealand) it suddenly occurred to me that I could study in New Zealand and get a study visa. But my questions is - what would happen to my family (husband and child) would they be able to come and live with me for the year/2 years while I study or would that not be allowed?

Just curious if anyone knows the answer?

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Student Visa - What about Family?

Originally Posted by Tentun
Hi there

Quick question! We've applied for PR but we're in the 'OMG what if we get turned down' stage of thinking.

I was just rambling through the 'what if's' and given that I want to study further (although I was planning on doing that here in the UK before we arrive in New Zealand) it suddenly occurred to me that I could study in New Zealand and get a study visa. But my questions is - what would happen to my family (husband and child) would they be able to come and live with me for the year/2 years while I study or would that not be allowed?

Thanks
mmmm no sorry don't know the answer but would you not be classed as an international student...which is quite expensive to study over here as one?
Debbie
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:20 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tentun
Hi there

Thanks
If you get PR of course your husband and child can accompany you. And if you plan on studying in NZ, as mentioned, as an international student the fees are quite steep NZ$14500/year and up. But if you had permanent residency the fees would be maybe a fifth of what international students pay.
But, say you are loaded and you aren't put off by the fees, if you were to be a postgraduate student your husband could come and work full time and you'd be eligible to work twenty hours a week and full time during the holiday periods. As for undergraduates, erm...dunno there, sorry.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

sunny side will become famous soon enough

Hi,

What about the children's education? international or local fees for them? pls advise.

many thanks
Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:26 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I'm afraid they'll be on visitor visas or will have to pay international student fees.

Partners and children of students
If your partner or children want to come to New Zealand with you, they will need to apply for a visitor visa, or if they will also be studying, their own student visa.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...sasandpermits/

Sorry.