Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

still not sure which visas for partner & children

still not sure which visas for partner & children

Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

wannabekiwi will become famous soon enoughwannabekiwi will become famous soon enough
Default still not sure which visas for partner & children

Hello there,

could you please give me some advice or your personal experience on the best choice of visas for us?
My OH has got a job offer with an accredited employer on the talented route, so
he is applying for a work to residence visa.
Where does this leave our children 3 & 6 and me in the visa jungle?
Would it be one extended visitor visa for me (no plans to work for a while) including our 3 year old and one student visa for our 6 year old?
We are also waiting for our ITA (150 points with job offer) to come through and are hoping to get permanent residency within the next 4 months having used the same medical as we use for our wtr visa.
Are we going to pay too much on fees? Is it better to pull out of our skilled migration route and lose the NZ$ 400 and having to do new medicals in NZ after the 24 months wtr visa is up?
Or do we keep to the above mentioned visa order instead?
Can you think of any pros and cons?
Thank you.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: still not sure which visas for partner & children

Originally Posted by wannabekiwi
Hello there,

could you please give me some advice or your personal experience on the best choice of visas for us?
My OH has got a job offer with an accredited employer on the talented route, so
he is applying for a work to residence visa.
Where does this leave our children 3 & 6 and me in the visa jungle?
Would it be one extended visitor visa for me (no plans to work for a while) including our 3 year old and one student visa for our 6 year old?
We are also waiting for our ITA (150 points with job offer) to come through and are hoping to get permanent residency within the next 4 months having used the same medical as we use for our wtr visa.
Are we going to pay too much on fees? Is it better to pull out of our skilled migration route and lose the NZ$ 400 and having to do new medicals in NZ after the 24 months wtr visa is up?
Or do we keep to the above mentioned visa order instead?
Can you think of any pros and cons?
Thank you.
You (and the children) are allowed to send in applications as dependents of a NZ Work Permit holder immediately, reference your husbands pending application when applying. (under the family stream i think)

You could (ideally should?) have sent in your application with his so it all went in together. When he gets his Work to Resident Visa you automatically get an unrestricted work permit valid for the same period as his (ie you are able to work in any job without the need to get any other workl permit or authorisation to work).

The kids become dependents of a work permit holder. So no need for you of your kids to enter as visitors.

You can keep the Perm Residency application current while you are living in NZ as work permit holders, that is what we did.

When it comes to immigration you pay too much anyway..lol..so yes you do double up on some fees doing it this way but the upshot is you get to NZ sooner and can start working and earning sooner also. It also helps not having to wait for 4 months or more for the Perm Residency to come through. Personally I would not wait for the 24 month wtr to be up before getting your perm residency, get your perm residency as soon as possible.

Immigration is costly unfortunately, yull get used to handing over money for lots of little whims the immigration service comes up with, dems da breaks when your immigrating...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

wannabekiwi will become famous soon enoughwannabekiwi will become famous soon enough

Great advice newkiwi.Thank you very much.

Luckily we have not posted my OH's WTR Visa application as yet because we are currently waiting for our medical results to come through.

Can we please talk about which forms and sections need to get filled in for us 4?
Is it form INZ 1015 for OH and must he mention us in section "I""I1" where it says "How many people do you intend to include in your residence application?"
And do I then have to fill in my own INZ 1015 form including section N the Family work policy? But where do we mention the children?

Your help is much appreciated.
Many thanks
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wannabekiwi
Great advice newkiwi.Thank you very much.

Luckily we have not posted my OH's WTR Visa application as yet because we are currently waiting for our medical results to come through.

Can we please talk about which forms and sections need to get filled in for us 4?
Is it form INZ 1015 for OH and must he mention us in section "I""I1" where it says "How many people do you intend to include in your residence application?"
And do I then have to fill in my own INZ 1015 form including section N the Family work policy? But where do we mention the children?

Your help is much appreciated.
Many thanks
NZ1015 is a work permit application, not a residence application, so yes that is what your OH fills in for his WTR visa application. He ticks the "work to residence" box on the first page. He completes all the relevant sections including section I. He must mention you and ALL the children intending to move to NZ in I1.

You fill in your own form, fill in the relevant details such as "applying under faimly/partner policy" and fill in section N, not section I. You tick the box that says your partner holds a NZ work permit.

You should all be applying for multiple entry work visas.

Your kids( I think.... we did not have kids so only did the parnership application) have to fill in their own forms for student visas (NZ1012) as a dependent child of a NZ work permit holder. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Send the whole package together, so that it is processed together.

Lots of form filling, but thats just the way it works. get used to filling in forms and handing over cash..lol

good luck

see below for a quote from NZIS on children applying

"If you are a partner or dependent child of someone who holds a New Zealand work permit you may be issued with a student visa or permit for the period of your partner’s or parent’s work permit*. You won’t need guarantees to cover your accommodation and living costs, provided your partner or parent has the income to cover them or has met this requirement in their own application. If you’re the dependent child of a work permit holder, you won’t have to provide evidence of enrolment if you’re a primary or secondary school student, and you’ll be regarded as a domestic student, so you won’t have to provide evidence that you’ve paid your course fees. If you’re a tertiary student you’ll need to meet our general requirements as an international student, including paying foreign student fees."