Sponsoring your parent

Old May 11th 2010, 3:33 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring your parent

Had an 'intresting' phone conversation with my mother at the weekend, during which she commented that she could come and live with us (I think she'd recently had yet another minor disagreement with my sister).

Whilst I think it was probably an off the cuff remark, I thought I'd have a little look into it.

We have been out here for 7 years - 18 months since citizenship and 4+ years PR prior to that, so should meet that requirement plus the financial stuff. But... I came across the 'centre of family' issue. If I read that right, we/she'd get turned down since I am her only child not living in the UK; my sister and brother are there (although my brother is in Scotland, and mum lives in Devon so she doens't see much of him and his family).

Has anyone here been down this route?
Old May 11th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Question Re: Sponsoring your parent

Your Mum has to have 50% of her children living as residents for over 3 years in New Zealand. As your Mum has 3 children and 2 do not live in New Zealand then unfortunately she will be unable to apply for a Parent Visa.

I am applying for a parent visa and I have 100% (2 children) living as residents in NZ - so I am eligible to apply.

You have to show evidence on your application where all your children live and it will be checked by immigration too.

If one of her other children decides to live in NZ in the future then she could apply for a Parent Visa as she would have over 50% of her children living there.

But remember she can visit you each year for up to 6 months on a visitor visa for a long holiday.

Last edited by Paula2007; May 11th 2010 at 8:19 pm. Reason: wrong information given
Old May 12th 2010, 2:14 am

Default Re: Sponsoring your parent

Originally Posted by Paula2007
Your Mum has to have 50% of her children living as residents for over 3 years in New Zealand. As your Mum has 3 children and 2 do not live in New Zealand then unfortunately she will be unable to apply for a Parent Visa.

I am applying for a parent visa and I have 100% (2 children) living as residents in NZ - so I am eligible to apply.

You have to show evidence on your application where all your children live and it will be checked by immigration too.

If one of her other children decides to live in NZ in the future then she could apply for a Parent Visa as she would have over 50% of her children living there.

But remember she can visit you each year for up to 6 months on a visitor visa for a long holiday.
So she just has to choose who to cut inhalf, her eldest daughter or son, and post one half of them to NZ

I thought that was the case, thanks (OH will be very relieved!).

Tbh I couldn't really see her upping sticks and shifting out here at her age anyway. But I will have another talk with her about coming out for an extended holiday - if nothing else it might stop my sister from taking her for granted.
Old May 12th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paula2007

I thought it was at least half of the children had to live outside of the UK, with at least as many in NZ as in another country (including the UK).

So with three children, one in the uk, one in another country outside the UK and one in NZ, you would be able to apply?

maybe i have it wrong..

Last edited by newkiwi; May 12th 2010 at 4:25 am.
Old May 12th 2010, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of

Have a look at www.immigration.govt.nz website.

If you look under Family Catergories - Parent - it explains somewhere about the centre of gravity question in more detail - I don't think you have to slice one of your children in half!!

Last edited by Paula2007; May 12th 2010 at 8:10 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

scubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Sponsoring your parent

Hi - we went through this a while ago. If there are three siblings and two are still in the UK then you won't meet the family weighting. However if one is in the UK, one is in another Country and one is in NZ then you will meet the weighting.
All that said my two brothers are in the UK and so we did not meet the family weighting. There is a legal type process for appealing the decision based on family weighting. You have to apply for residence and then be refused residence so that you can then appeal. All the past cases are available on the web with detailed info and decisions. It is a difficult route and most people are unsuccessful, however reading through the cases informs you of what arguments you should or should not make for a positive outcome.
We started to prepare our case for appeal but I then wrote a carefully worded letter to the minister for immigration, after submitting the residence application. The minister waived the family weighting issue for us so that was no longer an issue. However the waiting time from submitting your application to being assigned an officer is 2 years in London, so that creates yet more issues! Also see note below:

Expatriation is also big business. Nowhere is this more true than in New Zealand. In 2006, migrants paid a net total of NZ$3.3 billion (US$2.5 billion/€1.77 billion) in taxes into the New Zealand economy, an astounding figure considering the "real" New Zealanders contributed a net of $2.84 billion, despite being 3/4 of the total population.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
So she just has to choose who to cut inhalf, her eldest daughter or son, and post one half of them to NZ

I thought that was the case, thanks (OH will be very relieved!).

Tbh I couldn't really see her upping sticks and shifting out here at her age anyway. But I will have another talk with her about coming out for an extended holiday - if nothing else it might stop my sister from taking her for granted.

I wish you would change your avitar its horrible.

I have a son here with no family & a daughter in NZ with family so I take it we would be eligible.

June
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I wish you would change your avitar its horrible.

June
I do apologise. The avatar was a (winning) entrant in the halloween avatar competition and unfortunately I have been just too busy during the first two and a half days of November to get round to changing it

I will go and do so right away.