SMC and age limit

Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Fizzburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SMC and age limit

Hello - I am sure there is an answer here somewhere but I cannot find it.

Could somebody explain the age limits for the skilled migrant category please?

If the applicant's 56th birthday is in May 2010, is it the ITA that needs to be issued whilst they are still 55 for them to get a visa under this category?

Or is it just the EOI that needs to be submitted whilst they are still 55? As I understand it currently, as long as they have submitted an EOI whilst aged 55, doesnt matter if it takes 18 months for a visa to be granted......?

And does anyone know if its preferential to get the medicals done before 56th birthday - are the medicals any different after 56?

Thank you

Fizzie
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: SMC and age limit

OK this is not good news.
I called NZ immigration this morning and this is what they advise:

The ITA needs to ahve been received and processed and visa issued before the 56th birthday.

So, even if we have paid up for the ITA, migrant levy and all that, but they take their time processing it, they have to drop the application if the applicant turns 56 in the meantime

They also advised that in reality, even with a job offer, it is very unlikely that an EOI can be selected, ITA offered and processed within the 5 months frame we have.

There are no other options available to our particular situation.

It's gutting. I can't help but think the woman I spoke to has this wrong. Does anyone know any different?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - this is from Immigrations website

Quote -Depending on how old you are, you may qualify for points based on your age. We’re looking for people who can make a long-term contribution to New Zealand, so the younger you are, the more points you’ll qualify for. However, this category also has an age restriction, meaning, if you are 56 years old or older, you are not eligible for residence under Skilled Migrant category.

The amount of points you can claim for your age is determined at 2 stages. Firstly, your age is assessed at the time you submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) into the Pool. So, if you are 55 years old when you submit your EOI into the Pool, you will qualify for 5 points. If your EOI is selected, verified and you are then invited to apply for residence, your age is finally assessed on the date you are submitting your residence application (Invitation to Apply - ITA). So, if you are still 55 on the date of ITA-residence lodgement, you still qualify for those 5 points, even if you turn 56 after the application has been accepted for processing.

However, if you turn 56 between lodging your EOI and your ITA, (ie, you are 56 years old when submitting your ITA), you no longer qualify for residence, and your application will not be accepted for processing. Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to this requirement. More information on the Age requirement can be found on our website. End quote

So, this says that provided under 56 when you lodge your ITA, you will be ok - that's how I'm reading it any way!

Last edited by chippy64; Jan 13th 2010 at 11:42 am. Reason: put my quote in the wrong place
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes you're absolutely right.
I called back immigration because it didnt sound right, and was told what you have quoted there. I asked the chap to go and check 3 times LOL.

Initially he confirmed my original thoughts - thats when I suggested he go check because his colleague said something different.

Funnily enough I didnt see that on their website. Mind you, find it very random to navigate.

So we have 4 months to get everything together and pray we get an ITA in that time. We can only hope
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:26 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fizzburn
Yes you're absolutely right.
I called back immigration because it didnt sound right, and was told what you have quoted there. I asked the chap to go and check 3 times LOL.

Initially he confirmed my original thoughts - thats when I suggested he go check because his colleague said something different.

Funnily enough I didnt see that on their website. Mind you, find it very random to navigate.

So we have 4 months to get everything together and pray we get an ITA in that time. We can only hope
A sneaky way round that problem is :
Marry someone who is 19yrs younger than yourself ( making sure they are on the skills shortage list first) then make sure they have a job offer.Also
making sure they have a degree as well as begin on the skill shortage list you get more points that way
then you both get residency and even have your flight paid.
If my wife reads this i am in so much trouble
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:09 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bdclayton
A sneaky way round that problem is :
Marry someone who is 19yrs younger than yourself ( making sure they are on the skills shortage list first) then make sure they have a job offer.Also
making sure they have a degree as well as begin on the skill shortage list you get more points that way
then you both get residency and even have your flight paid.
If my wife reads this i am in so much trouble
Mind you, you did say on another thread you were an optimist!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:16 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Mind you, you did say on another thread you were an optimist!
yep i did
optimistic she doesn't read this