skill shortage lists

Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:39 pm
Banned

aysh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skill shortage lists

Originally Posted by happynz
Nursing, food technology, culinary diploma, pharmacology, early childhood education, cabinet making and so on. Take a look at the long term skills shortage list and see what catches your fancy and what looks achievable to you.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/8511.htm

I know you are keen to get to New Zealand as soon as you can, but with your current qualifications unless you become the partner of a New Zealand permanent resident or citizen, your chances of getting permanent residence are not too high. Your best course of action is to get yourself qualified in one of the skill shortage areas. This will mean a delay in getting here, but it may be your only way to successfully emigrate.

Good luck.
Thanks again for your kind assistance...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:32 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aysh
To be honest, many companies in India do not give the correct designation which should link to the job profile. This is so that the level of income is kept on the lower side. I have run through the roles of a PA & EA and they are just the basic roles with not much of solely independent handling. I will go through the seek website and see exactly where I fit in. What is the difference between an EA & Office Manager. We do not have that designation here?
I am speaking from my experience here which I admit may not necessarily be the same across the country(i know there are a couple of HR experts here whereas I can only comment from the job and industries I know of in Wellington).

Titles can vary significantly here too.

An office manager is often found in smaller businesses where they need a receptionist BUT the role is not simply a reception position. That person could be answering the phones but also organising the administration staff, possibly doing accounts payable, and other administrative tasks. It can vary in salary depending on requirements and seniority. Here is an example of an Office Manager roles which I know of (personally - gosh i hope she doesn't read this!).

1. Person who works in a school office. She is responsible for all administrative tasks (school and pupil files, health & safety rules) but also supervises the auxillary staff of a teacher aide, parent volunteers, does accounts work, prepares reports on those items. I should note that this is definitely senior to the receptionist position. The receptionist reports to her, but they are based in the same office and there is a similar component to part of the office manager role. However, there are various definitions of 'office manager' but i suspect the ones you are looking at are varying degrees of this type of description.

Basically, it tends to be either a sole charge position with the various other people kind of feeding into your job. Sorry, that is not very clear but if you remember that often the office manager is in a relatively small office (though sometimes part of a large organisation) who tends to be more responsible for particular parts of their work. The organisation generally wouldn't have a separate accounts clerk, a receptionist, and an administration assistant so the Office Manager does all of the above. Though in my example above the person does have a receptionist who comes in. They may have those people come in to help, but generally the Office Manager is the one who knows everything.

In Government departments branches (eg if you visited a local office rather than their head office) you might find an office manager. The office manager will often get referred to as the receptionist but this, while it could be perception, is incorrect.

The EA/PA split is a lot harder to define. In most government departments (most - but i think Min of Health still has a different structure?) the EA is senior to a PA. She (gender assumption here but it generally is female so for ease of writing that's what i am sticking to) tends to work with the CEO of the organisation or if it is a really large organisation there may be further EA's to higher level managers. She also tends to be on the senior management team in some capacity through the involvement with the CEO. A lot of people outside this area probably wouldn't realise what she does as it is still viewed as simply a typists role by some people. She would, however, often be expected to write reports and present information. Some organise conferences and events depending on the size of the organisation and whether they employ a conference coordinator. In government departments the EA may be responsible for organising the ministerial advisory panel meetings as many of the positions are moving towards having a project/event management (for administration) role.

Oh, and generally an EA will be paid more than a PA. Not a huge amount more but if, such as a government department an EA will get a bit more.

A PA actually tends to do very similar work and in private organisations i suspect they are more similar to an EA. But in Government departments at least, the PA is generally the assistant to either a team of managers or a personal assistant to one manager who is not as high as the Chief Executive Officer.

btw - when i refer to PA or EA, I am talking about larger organisations and NOT personal assistants for, say, a very wealthy person who wants you at their beck and call to buy the latest Grand Tourismo game.

Which is a really really really long way of answering your perfectly innocent question of "what is an office manager"!!

I am still wondering about your job though and whether it could be considered something else which while not on the skills list might be something people need? As I said, Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Please look through THIS LIST on the Anzsco register and tell us if any of the descriptions fit your occupation.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I am speaking from my experience here which I admit may not necessarily be the same across the country(i know there are a couple of HR experts here whereas I can only comment from the job and industries I know of in Wellington).

Titles can vary significantly here too.

An office manager is often found in smaller businesses where they need a receptionist BUT the role is not simply a reception position. That person could be answering the phones but also organising the administration staff, possibly doing accounts payable, and other administrative tasks. It can vary in salary depending on requirements and seniority. Here is an example of an Office Manager roles which I know of (personally - gosh i hope she doesn't read this!).

1. Person who works in a school office. She is responsible for all administrative tasks (school and pupil files, health & safety rules) but also supervises the auxillary staff of a teacher aide, parent volunteers, does accounts work, prepares reports on those items. I should note that this is definitely senior to the receptionist position. The receptionist reports to her, but they are based in the same office and there is a similar component to part of the office manager role. However, there are various definitions of 'office manager' but i suspect the ones you are looking at are varying degrees of this type of description.

Basically, it tends to be either a sole charge position with the various other people kind of feeding into your job. Sorry, that is not very clear but if you remember that often the office manager is in a relatively small office (though sometimes part of a large organisation) who tends to be more responsible for particular parts of their work. The organisation generally wouldn't have a separate accounts clerk, a receptionist, and an administration assistant so the Office Manager does all of the above. Though in my example above the person does have a receptionist who comes in. They may have those people come in to help, but generally the Office Manager is the one who knows everything.

In Government departments branches (eg if you visited a local office rather than their head office) you might find an office manager. The office manager will often get referred to as the receptionist but this, while it could be perception, is incorrect.

The EA/PA split is a lot harder to define. In most government departments (most - but i think Min of Health still has a different structure?) the EA is senior to a PA. She (gender assumption here but it generally is female so for ease of writing that's what i am sticking to) tends to work with the CEO of the organisation or if it is a really large organisation there may be further EA's to higher level managers. She also tends to be on the senior management team in some capacity through the involvement with the CEO. A lot of people outside this area probably wouldn't realise what she does as it is still viewed as simply a typists role by some people. She would, however, often be expected to write reports and present information. Some organise conferences and events depending on the size of the organisation and whether they employ a conference coordinator. In government departments the EA may be responsible for organising the ministerial advisory panel meetings as many of the positions are moving towards having a project/event management (for administration) role.

Oh, and generally an EA will be paid more than a PA. Not a huge amount more but if, such as a government department an EA will get a bit more.

A PA actually tends to do very similar work and in private organisations i suspect they are more similar to an EA. But in Government departments at least, the PA is generally the assistant to either a team of managers or a personal assistant to one manager who is not as high as the Chief Executive Officer.

btw - when i refer to PA or EA, I am talking about larger organisations and NOT personal assistants for, say, a very wealthy person who wants you at their beck and call to buy the latest Grand Tourismo game.

Which is a really really really long way of answering your perfectly innocent question of "what is an office manager"!!

I am still wondering about your job though and whether it could be considered something else which while not on the skills list might be something people need? As I said, Good luck.
Thanks for your time and patience in explaining the entire thing in so much detail... really appreciated. I will have to check out my options before taking any risk.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Please look through THIS LIST on the Anzsco register and tell us if any of the descriptions fit your occupation.
Thanks... will check it out...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:17 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aysh
Thanks for your time and patience in explaining the entire thing in so much detail... really appreciated. I will have to check out my options before taking any risk.
That's ok. I never answer anything quickly and succintly when 1000 words of rambling ineptitude works just as well
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

jevgeny is an unknown quantity at this point

Excavator operator and painter-decorator is not in long list.
How to obtain a work visa? What path - nzqa, ielts, dimia or job offer and all ready?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:08 pm
`

Originally Posted by jevgeny
Excavator operator and painter-decorator is not in long list.
How to obtain a work visa? What path - nzqa, ielts, dimia or job offer and all ready?

Painter is on the immediate list.
Do you have any trade certificates?

For you

1] IELTS test

2] NZQA trade certificate assessment.

3] Find a job first and then apply for a work visa
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:34 pm
Banned

Hi I'm back

If i chose study, can I study something from the immediate skills shortage list... what are my chances of PR from there. do i have to work in the specified field and if so for how long before i can apply....
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=BEVS here;6214395]If your occupation is not on either list , then any Nz employer offering you a job must prove that there is no-one in New Zealand that could take this job. They would do that by showing adverts they have placed in papers & the response. They would also state what training they offer New Zealand people for that occupation. There is a form and declaration for the NZ employer to fill in to send to New Zealand Immigration Service.

I understood that if the job offer was from an accredited employer then they do not need to prove that they cannot get anyone in NZ as they are pre-approved to employ foreigners. Did I get this wrong?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:12 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Dezza;6266472]
Originally Posted by BEVS here
If your occupation is not on either list , then any Nz employer offering you a job must prove that there is no-one in New Zealand that could take this job. They would do that by showing adverts they have placed in papers & the response. They would also state what training they offer New Zealand people for that occupation. There is a form and declaration for the NZ employer to fill in to send to New Zealand Immigration Service.

I understood that if the job offer was from an accredited employer then they do not need to prove that they cannot get anyone in NZ as they are pre-approved to employ foreigners. Did I get this wrong?
Thanks.... hopefully you are right... then, i can see a small light at the end of the tunnel....... i guess, only prayers can work here
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:20 am
`

Originally Posted by Dezza
Nope. You have that correct.