British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   skill shortage lists (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skill-shortage-lists-529455/)

aysh Apr 15th 2008 9:05 am

skill shortage lists

what is the difference between the short and long term skill shortage list

happynz Apr 15th 2008 6:00 pm

Re: skill shortage lists

Both lists describe jobs where the employer has approval-in-principle to hire foreigners without having to demonstrate to New Zealand Immigration Service that no suitable local resident or citizen of New Zealand could be found.

Those with qualifications and skills on the Long Term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL) are considered 'skilled' and are eligible to apply for permanent residency. Those on the Immediate Skills Shortage List (ISSL) are not necessarily considered 'skilled' for immigration purposes. One could work here on temporary permits indefinitely by periodically extending one's work permit (in theory), but not qualify for permanent residency. However, one can still get residency through a work-to-residency scheme if the job offer is NZD$50,000/year based on a 40 hour week.

I think this is how it works.

Good luck.

jorose Apr 15th 2008 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6213191)
Both lists describe jobs where the employer has approval-in-principle to hire foreigners without having to demonstrate to New Zealand Immigration Service that no suitable local resident or citizen of New Zealand could be found.

Those with qualifications and skills on the Long Term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL) are considered 'skilled' and are eligible to apply for permanent residency. Those on the Immediate Skills Shortage List (ISSL) are not necessarily considered 'skilled' for immigration purposes. One could work here on temporary permits indefinitely by periodically extending one's work permit (in theory), but not qualify for permanent residency. However, one can still get residency through a work-to-residency scheme if the job offer is NZD$50,000/year based on a 40 hour week.

Good luck.

So if your job is on ISSL (like mine), then do you obtain offer of employment then apply for work permit? :confused::)

happynz Apr 15th 2008 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jorose (Post 6213531)
So if your job is on ISSL (like mine), then do you obtain offer of employment then apply for work permit? :confused::)

Depends on where you are. If you are outside New Zealand you apply for a work visa and will get a work permit on arrival in New Zealand. If you are already in New Zealand you apply for the work permit. At any rate you will need to have a job offer first.

jorose Apr 15th 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6213546)
Depends on where you are. If you are outside New Zealand you apply for a work visa and will get a work permit on arrival in New Zealand. If you are already in New Zealand you apply for the work permit. At any rate you will need to have a job offer first.

Thank you:)

aysh Apr 15th 2008 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6213191)

Good luck.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

I have one question though, will i get a work permit even though my occupation is not on either lists. If I am able to get a job offer, is it possible to apply for a work-to-residency scheme, and if so, after how long?

BEVS Apr 15th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by aysh (Post 6214293)
Thanks again for your kind assistance.

I have one question though, will i get a work permit even though my occupation is not on either lists. If I am able to get a job offer, is it possible to apply for a work-to-residency scheme, and if so, after how long?

If your occupation is not on either list , then any Nz employer offering you a job must prove that there is no-one in New Zealand that could take this job. They would do that by showing adverts they have placed in papers & the response. They would also state what training they offer New Zealand people for that occupation. There is a form and declaration for the NZ employer to fill in to send to New Zealand Immigration Service.

If the job you are offered is OK with immigration , then you will be able to apply for a temporary work permit.

For a work-to-residence ,the job must be $50K a year for around a 40 hour week .

BEVS Apr 15th 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jorose (Post 6213531)

Are you thinking to emigrate to New Zealand?
What is your occupation?

aysh Apr 16th 2008 2:30 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6214402)
What is your occupation?

Yes, I would love to migrate. The only thing now is to convince NZ Immi that I am able to add value :).

I am an Executive Assistant (job profile is records keeping, rostering, scheduling, gather information from the web, create reports for nearly everything which enables us to monitor and check whether proper business strategies are adhered to, expense reports, budget finalization, Monthly, quarterly and yearly performance variance reports, etc. etc. etc. etc.) Regularly use MS Office and prepare powerpoint presentations. I have over 15 years of experience in this. I am from India and my English is pretty good :) Scored 7.5 in IELTs.

Any suggestions that will be able to assist me in getting a job offer for a work visa? :confused:

happynz Apr 16th 2008 5:25 am

Originally Posted by aysh (Post 6215243)
Any suggestions that will be able to assist me in getting a job offer for a work visa?

Look at www.seek.co.nz for an idea on what sort of work is available here in New Zealand. However, to be honest I think that your chances of securing work as an executive assistant from India are very slim. I'm sure you'd be a valuable addition to someone's organisation, but I'm afraid your chances now are slim unless you get some added qualifications.

Kiwiprincess Apr 16th 2008 5:44 am

Just one thing sprung out to me - the description you have provided is not exactly what an Executive Assistant is in NZ. Essentially, in NZ, an Executive Assistant is a senior level personal assistant who tends to work with either a CEO or the Board Members of an organisation. An Executive Assistant, in NZ, may well do many and perhaps all of those tasks but a primary role will working with a CEO or General Manager for the organisation.

I wonder if perhaps you should possibly look further into what the equivalent job would be in NZ? It might help.

Unless a portion of your job (and one you haven't mentioned because it is obvious to all except me) is what in NZ would be called an Executive Assistant then I suspect you could be wasting your time applying for those particular roles. This could be rather disheartening for you only to find out that you were actually applying for the wrong type of job.

Good luck - but like i said, check that if you are applying as an Executive Assistant that is what you would be in a NZ context.

jorose Apr 16th 2008 6:29 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6214402)
What is your occupation?

Hi Bev

I am a UK qual Dental Nurse. We have been looking at Australia but are finding it extremely difficult to find sponsorship. My OH is a bathroom fitter/general plumber who also fully tiles too. We are now wondering about the possibility of New Zealand but as of yet we are not familiar with the application process so are just starting our research then possibly a trip over.

Jo :)

aysh Apr 16th 2008 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6215630)
Look at www.seek.co.nz for an idea on what sort of work is available here in New Zealand. However, to be honest I think that your chances of securing work as an executive assistant from India are very slim. I'm sure you'd be a valuable addition to someone's organisation, but I'm afraid your chances now are slim unless you get some added qualifications.

Hi.. What do you suggest that i study... thanks

aysh Apr 16th 2008 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 6215656)
Just one thing sprung out to me - the description you have provided is not exactly what an Executive Assistant is in NZ. Essentially, in NZ, an Executive Assistant is a senior level personal assistant who tends to work with either a CEO or the Board Members of an organisation. An Executive Assistant, in NZ, may well do many and perhaps all of those tasks but a primary role will working with a CEO or General Manager for the organisation.

I wonder if perhaps you should possibly look further into what the equivalent job would be in NZ? It might help.

Unless a portion of your job (and one you haven't mentioned because it is obvious to all except me) is what in NZ would be called an Executive Assistant then I suspect you could be wasting your time applying for those particular roles. This could be rather disheartening for you only to find out that you were actually applying for the wrong type of job.

Good luck - but like i said, check that if you are applying as an Executive Assistant that is what you would be in a NZ context.

To be honest, many companies in India do not give the correct designation which should link to the job profile. This is so that the level of income is kept on the lower side. I have run through the roles of a PA & EA and they are just the basic roles with not much of solely independent handling. I will go through the seek website and see exactly where I fit in. What is the difference between an EA & Office Manager. We do not have that designation here?

happynz Apr 16th 2008 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by aysh (Post 6218985)
Hi.. What do you suggest that i study... thanks

Nursing, food technology, culinary diploma, pharmacology, early childhood education, cabinet making and so on. Take a look at the long term skills shortage list and see what catches your fancy and what looks achievable to you.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/8511.htm

I know you are keen to get to New Zealand as soon as you can, but with your current qualifications unless you become the partner of a New Zealand permanent resident or citizen, your chances of getting permanent residence are not too high. Your best course of action is to get yourself qualified in one of the skill shortage areas. This will mean a delay in getting here, but it may be your only way to successfully emigrate.

Good luck.