Residents Visa - Partner category

Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

mittmitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residents Visa - Partner category

Hi,

My partner is a kiwi living in England and we intend to move to NZ in a few years time. I would like to apply for my residents visa before I need it and would like to know what happens if I apply for a visa and then don't move to NZ for maybe 2 years? I don't want to leave everything until the last minute as I'm sure emmigrating will be stressful enough as it is.

Is there any time limit for entering NZ when you get your resident's visa or does it just sit in your passport until you choose to use it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mittmitts
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:07 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residents Visa - Partner category

IIRC you have to activate the residents visa by travelling to NZ within 12mths. They don't give you an open ticket

If you arrive and then get a returning residents visa (RRV),then that is valid for return to NZ within a fixed period too, only after the subsequent return to NZ (and maybe some other qualifying factors) can you get an indefinite returning residents visa (IRRV).
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

mittmitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply - that's really helpful. Do the periods in NZ have to be a certain length or would a couple of weeks visiting relatives be sufficient?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:44 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's something like 184 ot 185 days out of every 12 months you have to be resident here but really is best to check NZ immigration website as things can change.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Sarah1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

The processing time frame for resident visas via the partnership category is only 4 months rather than the standard 12 months so you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting it so far in advance.

Sarah