WTR Help!!!

Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default WTR Help!!!

There's a good chance we wont get picked via the SMC pool (not high enough up the pecking order) - so will probably have to try the WTR route.

Couple of questions to anyone who has gone this way:

a) Is the accredited list on NZ immigration the only way to find out who's accredited and who's not - it says its not a complete list - (i.e. ploughing through each web address and then seeing if there are any suitable vacancies etc in your preferred area) before you go

b) Is there any easier way to find this out?

c) Also if I went over with the intention of trying to find WTR work, I would have to do a sneeky and go on a visitors visa as too old for WHV, how hard/easy would it be from NZ itself.

d) Is it worth registering with recruitment companies before you go (or wont they take you unless you are actually in NZ)

Any info would be great as will probably go over late summer if all else fails - I have family Upper Hutt so can go and stay with my brother. ps family visa probably not an option (far too complicated a story so I wont bore you with it).

We have 3 small children, so either myself or my husband would probably go on our own and not drag the children along too.

Thanks
Alison
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WTR Help!!!

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary View Post
There's a good chance we wont get picked via the SMC pool (not high enough up the pecking order) - so will probably have to try the WTR route.

Couple of questions to anyone who has gone this way:

a) Is the accredited list on NZ immigration the only way to find out who's accredited and who's not - it says its not a complete list - (i.e. ploughing through each web address and then seeing if there are any suitable vacancies etc in your preferred area) before you go

b) Is there any easier way to find this out?

c) Also if I went over with the intention of trying to find WTR work, I would have to do a sneeky and go on a visitors visa as too old for WHV, how hard/easy would it be from NZ itself.

d) Is it worth registering with recruitment companies before you go (or wont they take you unless you are actually in NZ)

Any info would be great as will probably go over late summer if all else fails - I have family Upper Hutt so can go and stay with my brother. ps family visa probably not an option (far too complicated a story so I wont bore you with it).

We have 3 small children, so either myself or my husband would probably go on our own and not drag the children along too.

Thanks
Alison
As for as I know it is not illegal to enter NZ on a visitor permit with the intentions of looking for a job (unlike the UK where you are not allowed to enter to look for work on a tourist visa). You will still have to satisfy immigration that you will leave NZ before your tourist visa runs out, and that you will abide by the tourist visa restrictions (ie not working). So you will need to show a return ticket and sufficient funds to cover your stay as a tourist. Going to job interviews may be incidental to your trip. I would caution about saying that is your mai n purpose (looking for a job), something like you are visiting with the view to immigrating later on may be a more acceptable explanation. Immigration can deny you entry i they feel you are going to breach conditions of your tourist visa.

Lots of recruitment ads state that you have to have the right to work in Nz before you can apply. It may be worth calling a few companies once you have your itinerary done, a few weeks before going to NZ, with the view to going to see them about possibilities once you are in Nz. Look at approaching companies directly too, mainly large ones who have employed expats before.

It is a bit of a chicken and egg situation, good luck though!