Refused entry for hols to NZ?!

Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:19 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice
Default Refused entry for hols to NZ?!

After emailing our CO to check it would be ok to go to NZ this summer for a holiday to visit some potential employers and do a bit of a rekki before activating our skilled migrant residency visas in December, this is the reply I got:

Thank you for your email, I hope that the following helps to answer your queries:

You can try to enter NZ visa free before your Residence visa is issued, but you need to be able to demonstrate to customs staff at the border that your primary intention is to holiday.
Customs staff will be able to see that you have applied for residence in NZ, and therefore may well question your intentions in NZ.
You will need to meet all of the standard requirements for people travelling visa free, see the link below:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rs/default.htm
Please be aware that we cannot guarantee whether or not staff at the border will grant you entry to New Zealand, this is at their discretion. Attempting to travel visa free is at your own risk.

We've just paid a lot of money for our flights and are now panicking thinking we may not get into the country as holidaying visitors this August. We can't leave the UK permanently until December as we can't leave our jobs here until then, so thought we'd just go for a visit this summer before going for good later.

Anyone else tried this and been refused entry?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refused entry for hols to NZ?!

hi there, I'm just driving by the NZ forum today but your question is also very common for people coming to the US for a visit before they immigrate, and I imagine the answers are very much the same.
Every time you attempt to enter a country, the immigration officers are checking to make sure that you are there to do what your visa class and story say. You can't (and don't want to) hide that you are trying to immigrate, so you want to make plans that are consistent with a tourism visit. That is, not to take up residence or employment.

For the US, we usually recommend that people bring evidence of their continued ties to their home country *in case* the officer asks for them. A letter from work saying when you are expected back, your mortgage or lease agreement at home etc are the sorts of things that show you're not dropping everything and planning on staying in NZ. The link also gives the specifics that qualify you to enter as a tourist; onward ticket, sufficient funds etc.

The warning you got from your agent is pretty standard, and true. No one can guarantee your entry ahead of time, but it reads to me more like they are covering their behinds. Just don't plan on showing up with all your worldly belongings (or an excess of inappropriate luggage)!

Hope you have a great visit; I can't wait til I get to go myself!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:19 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

More or less what I was going to say...

If you're holidaying and sussing the place out:
- You shouldn't have 10 thousand Kilos of luggages
- Have you return book within a few weeks
- Proof you're still in employment back in UK, perhaps your holiday rqst form from work showing your return date matching your flight return should do??
- And other proofs as such

At the end of the day, I see the reply you got as a standard one too.

Remember, the staff at borders are there to check and ensure the right person are getting in they are not here to give you trouble (unless you're doing something you should not be doing of course) so just relax.

I would not hide either the fact you've applied for residency - Nothing wrong in going on holidays in NZ while you're waiting on your residency to come through (or not).

Enjoy
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We arrived in NZ in July 2007 for the intention of finding a job while on a Visitors Visa, we told customs this when we arrived as didn't want to be stopped cause we looked apprehensive at the counter and therefore get pulled aside!! She happily chatted to us as to what job hubby was looking for then wished us luck as she sent us on our way! Whether this has changed due to the recession or we just had a nice person at the counter that day,i don't know,but if you are coming to the country permanently anyway i cant see it being a problem,have a great holiday

Helen
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:19 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Thanks for the replies, think we'll just take some evidence to prove we're coming back to the UK as you all suggest. Will get work to write on headed paper that they'll be expecting us back in September, will also have our return tickets and accommodation booked on the return journey. Hope this will be sufficient!