Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Question about qualifications/work experience and EOI

Question about qualifications/work experience and EOI

Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough
Default Question about qualifications/work experience and EOI

Hi Everyone

Can anyone help. I'm so confused! I'm fairly new to this forum and we are trying to work out the best route to get into New Zealand. At the moment we are trying to figure out which one of us (me or OH) has the most points to submit the EOI and I'd be grateful for any help you can offer.

so many questions:

1. for the general past work experience you can claim points for skilled work experience but what constitutes skilled - I've read the notes on the topic over and over again but I can't decide. I did a degree in Accounting but then went on to do Payroll Administration & Bank Reconciliations and Accounts Assistant work - do you think this counts as skilled work? Don't know - it was not high level accounts by any means but I'm sure I was more suited to the job than someone who did no Accounts training? What do you guys think?

2. OH is a bit of a funny one. He studied something that is on the skills shortage list - so technically he can claim points for having a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage HOWEVER, since leaving Univeristy he has never worked in this occupation and instead has done many other things. At the moment he is a Teacher in a Seconday school (but doesn't have a recognised Teacher qualification) so what do you suggest? You can see the dilemma - Teaching is his current occupation but surely they will question the fact that he has no recognised qualifications in Teaching (well, at least not that NZ will recognise) and yet if he says he's a research scientist they will laugh at him surely because although he has the qualifications to do this job he has NEVER done it!! What to do. What do you guys suggest?

I think long term we'd be better off getting a job first but this I'm just trying to do my research and you never know, one of these days they might lower the points and we'll get in as we're borderline 100 at the moment.

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:14 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about qualifications/work experience and EOI

Wannabee this could be your lucky day

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=accounts

Try & email him, but be warned, the weather up in Northlands has been atrocious this week ( it IS winter after all!!) and some areas are experiencing problems with comms.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question about qualifications/work experience and EOI

Ohhh, very helpful thank you! I'll get onto it straight away.
Thanks