Poo to the NZQA pre-assessment

Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all
Default Re: Poo to the NZQA pre-assessment

I was just wondering about that.

I am sure you guys know much more than I do about the rules to get here. I am here purely by an accident of birth.

I have a feeling that we are planning on staying here now. We have it really good. We have a TERRIBLE time finding plumbers who are willing to work and who are not complete dummies.

Maybe I will look into the process of sponsoring immigrants. Thanks for the idea.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all

It is extremely late. Sorry.

The last post should have said
My husband needs plumbers desperately for his company. Does anyone know if we can sponsor immigrants to come here? If so, I will gladly help get a couple of people here!!

The irony of living here is that you don't really need to have a visa at all. Haven't you heard, this country does nothing to stop illegal immigration.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:30 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Ashby, I can read that you are feeling frustrated, but I don't think that New Zealand is raining on your parade because you are American. If your husband is skilled and can get documents to back that up there are ways to get over the roadblocks. You just have to hang in there.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Ashby

Pleased that you have found this little community and forum.

I have been talking with Ashby elsewhere and have to say that she has been given a rough ride and the complete run-around when it comes to finding simple answers to coming to NZ as a US plumbing migrant.

I'm hoping that by posting to the BE site, she will gain more help and advice than I, just one person, can give & also as the BE site is a large one, she may be able to explore all sorts of other options.

What Ashby may also see from this multi-national site is that many migrants have all manner of hurdles to overcome. The whole world does not hate all Americans, though I can quite understand why some Americans might have this perception. Not all Australians and Kiwis hate all Poms. Yes - you get the odd tunnel visioned bigoted tosspot out there but on the whole , people are very welcoming to us migrants.
In New Zealand we have a good contingency of US of A folk and they just mingle on in with everyone else.

Originally Posted by ashby
We have concluded that NZIS has put "plumber" on the list but PGDB doesn't really want outsiders (maybe just Americans??) and so has made it impossible since 30 July to actually get in. Problem solved for PGDB.
Having been through the PGDB mill ourselves and knowing other migrant plumbers that have also had extreme difficulties, I have to say that the consensus of opinion would probably agree with you Ashby. Much though that pains me.
It will be cold comfort farm but many of their own Kiwi Plumbers have little good to say about their own trade board.

New Zealand needs and wants plumbers desperately. That doesn't mean that the PGDB does.

I could write tomes on my perception and the perception that others have on the mechanisms and agendas of the PGDB which is, essentially, an old boys network. a closed shop. Most of which makes me steam .This isn't some automated unit similar to the NZQA or the UK CORGI . It's a committee made from carefully selected plumbing business men and other associates in the plumbing trade. An example of this is the recent sacking of the entire PGDB board. You would think that sacked meant sacked !
Here is a riddle. When is a sacking not a sacking?
Answer - When the sacked chairman of the board remains with the board as registrar.
My husband has actually heard some of the views held by an ex-chairman and a couple of other committee and ex-committee members insular views on the subject of plumbing outside of NZ.

I will say briefly that it seems the PGDB would prefer all plumbers to be homegrown & if you are coming from overseas, it doesn't matter to them how qualified or how many decades experience you have, it counts for nothing in the boards eyes.
Remember - " New Zealand plumbers are the Best in the World" New Zealand plumbers are head hunted and sought after world-wide"

What you have to remember, as the overseas migrant, is that you count for something in your own eyes. You are a skilled quality tradesman and once here , you will find many will welcome you & your skills with open and friendly arms.

Bottom line for us plumbing migrants is, that if you wish to come and live in NZ and let's face it, that's a great choice of a country to live a life in, then you have to find a way through the PGDB maze despite the blocks they seem to put in the way.

It's a toughie to get through ,but to live in New Zealand it's worth it.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:23 am
`

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Sorry, but what are the chances of a NZ or UK plumber getting into the US?
Zero.

Because they have to be US qualified and licensed.

Quite interested in this actually.

What does an overseas plumber wanting to live and work in America have to do ?
Have their qualifications assessed, that's for certain but then what ?
I mean purely from the plumbing trade point of view.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:26 am
`

Originally Posted by happynz
Ashby, I can read that you are feeling frustrated, but I don't think that New Zealand is raining on your parade because you are American. If your husband is skilled and can get documents to back that up there are ways to get over the roadblocks. You just have to hang in there.
Good post.
I don't think New Zealand is raining on Ashbys parade either. What I do think is that the PGDB pours buckets of unhelpful cold water over any overseas plumber.

I also think that New Zealand will love Ashbys qualified plumbing husband once they get here and that they would love and enjoy New Zealand life and all that has to offer
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks BEVS here for the encouragement.

We call what the PGDB is doing a "good ol' boy" system here in Texas--catering to what they consider their "own kind" in some ignorant attempt to control things.

The irony is that it looks like NZ could use a little help. Not to be condescending but I must laugh a little about the NZ plumber being the "best in the world". We look at pictures of real estate in NZ to get some idea of the plumbing. We have been looking at houses of at least $700,000++ and we have found the plumbing, in many cases, to be far inferior. For example, we have seen a tankless water heater mounted on the exterior of a home--exposed to the elements--no protective box, nothing. And this was on new construction!!!! The installation requirements are not American in origin--but, in fact, manufacturer requirements so I don't understand how it was done so wrong. (I mean, each tankless WH comes with instructions that includes pictures and diagrams!!)

As for the American immigration requirements, I have absolutely no idea. But, I will be looking into it. I am totally serious about sponsoring plumbers here. It is the grandest idea in the world. The absolute hardest part of running our company is finding/retaining skilled plumbers! (and that is what was making it so easy to talk my OH into leaving. I waved photos of NZ in front of him and told him that he wouldn't work 90+ hours a week over there!)

BTW, I would love to post some photos of our jobsites and finished homes (actually, I am working on a website) and have some international plumbers look at them and tell me what the differences are--between US and UK or NZ plumbing styles. And I am sure that OH would love to see any photos from intl plumbers!!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

And I was feeling "picked on" for being an American because of the email that I got from PGDB. I will post those here if BEVS here thinks it will be helpful after she has read them.

Basically, PGDB will not assess my OH's quals because he is American. NZQA won't do it because that is PGDB's job. So basically, PGDB has the last word on it and it won't be done. The PGDB referred me to ITO to see if they will give OH credit under National Certificate in Plumbing. ITO hasn't returned email.

Otherwise, I totally don't blame the world for being leary of us. I am leary of us--that is the #1 reason we wanted out.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

This is the last email that I sent out to ITO. Does anyone know anything about them or the Recognition of Current Competency?
I am going to chase it to the end. I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst!

Dear Ms. Gunther,

I was given your contact information by Melissa Kinealy from the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board. I am trying to find out how to have my husband's US plumbing qualifications assessed. The NZQA sent me to PGDB for assessment. PGDB will not assess because the US is not covered by ANZRA. Ms. Kinealy suggested that I contact you to have my husband's qualifications looked at in terms of Recognition of Current Competency.
What does this process entail? What forms will I need? What information will you need? How much does it cost? And what are the possible outcomes (i.e. could he be favourably assessed and granted the National Certificate in Plumbing)?
I have requested certified copies of all the licensing requirements from the Texas Board of Plumbing Examiners including proof of his 12,000 hours of training and scores for his required examinations.
Additionally, I have come up with the brilliant idea of putting together a portfolio of his work and a video of him performing all stages of the plumbing in a residential new construction. I am sure that this will unequivocably demonstrate his level of skill but I am unsure if anyone will be interested in helping us enough to look at the information. I am in the process of setting up a website with all of this information to make it easy to access.
I know that "plumber" is on the Skills Shortage List and my contacts in NZ say that they are sorely needed. Why has the process for plumbers been made so difficult (more than other professions)? Are we, as Americans, unwanted?
I have been working on this for nearly 4 months now and we still don't even know who is supposed to do the assessment. NZIS seems completely unaware of the process and has, in fact, made immigration impossible for the overseas plumber with their 30 July change to the requirements--now requiring that a plumber be "registered" with PGDB before they can get a work visa or emigrate. PGDB will not even assess our quals. And will not allow us to fly out for the examination in November if you will not assess his qualifications to the National Certificate level.
Can you please help me? Or, if you can not help us, can you please explain how this works or who to contact?
I appreciate any answers you can give me--even if the info is bad news, please let me know.
Thank you very much in advance!

Sincerely,
Ashby
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:54 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Quite interested in this actually.

What does an overseas plumber wanting to live and work in America have to do ?
Have their qualifications assessed, that's for certain but then what ?
I mean purely from the plumbing trade point of view.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=plumber