British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Permenent Residency - Submitted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/permenent-residency-submitted-776076/)

TommyLuck Nov 19th 2012 10:08 am

Re: Permenent Residency - Submitted

OK - so the online thingy where you track your application is telling me I've been approved, but there is no date under the expiry date.

I'm not sure if that's because technically Permenant Residency doesn't expire, or that they've approved me in principle, but are yet to formally produce the relevant documentation.

Either way, all through this process I've not taken anything for granted and wont be happy until I've got my passport back in my hand with the bluey.

Any idea how long after approval I will actually be able to realise this process is over?

skends Nov 19th 2012 7:23 pm

hi tommyluck, we were approved on the 31 october, sent the form that they email you straight off with the details to pay for the levy, and we havent got ours yet. There is also no date on the webpage, but i understand that the date gets put on the webpage on the day they actually issue your blueys in your passport. In the letter that they send you and email you, it says that this process should take 5-10 days but ours still hasnt been done - i have emailed our CO and they said that ours is in a queue waiting to be done and it should be the latter part of this week - the money also gets taken from your account on the day that the visas are put in your passport too. Hope this makes sense.

skends Nov 19th 2012 7:25 pm

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thu mbsup:

TommyLuck Nov 19th 2012 7:38 pm

Lovely. Thanks.

One question, I haven't got any confirmation email/letter yet, other than the initial one telling me about the process once they allocate you a person to process the application, etc ... Should I be expecting a second one?

Exciting!!

skends Nov 19th 2012 7:44 pm

On the day we were approved we had an email to say our status had changed, then the next day we had an email from our CO with some attatchments - this was the official letter of approval and the migrant levy form. The letter also said that we would also receive it in the post too -which we did get 5 days later. Hope this helps.

TommyLuck Nov 19th 2012 8:51 pm

Cool. Very helpful.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

TommyLuck Nov 27th 2012 1:12 pm

Well, well ... I got my "Approval in principle" email yesterday, just popped back the migrant levy form with MORE credit card details on.

This. Is. Happening.

I was expecting this to take much, much longer that it has, certainly given the fact that they manage expectations by telling you it'll be 10-12 weeks.

NB I would update my signature thingy, but I don't know how to do this. The same reason applies to my lack of avatar.

simonsi Nov 27th 2012 4:26 pm

:thumbsup:

MrsFychan Nov 28th 2012 6:15 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10403577)
NB I would update my signature thingy, but I don't know how to do this. The same reason applies to my lack of avatar.

below Discussion Forum, left hand side, is My Profile. Click on that and the options to add signatures and avatars is on the left handside

thepinkone Nov 28th 2012 6:43 am

Congrats TommyLuck

skends Nov 29th 2012 8:10 pm

Well done Tommyluck and congratulaions!!
All systems go for you guys then. When are you planning on leaving the UK?
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

TommyLuck Nov 30th 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by skends (Post 10408412)
Well done Tommyluck and congratulaions!!
All systems go for you guys then. When are you planning on leaving the UK?
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers.

Although I'm sure time will fly, it'll be a while yet as we already had a few holiday plans for 2013 to the USA and figured we may as well tie them in with the journey to NZ.

We'd planned to go to friends birthday party in Las Vegas in May, so it all centred around that really. Then being a Rugby fan, it dawned on me that the British & Irish Lions are touring Australia in June, so I wondered if we could do that too.

Turns out we could; managed to get 11 flights in all between Heathrow and Auckland for a touch over £4k for me, the OH and the kid.

So on the way to Vegas we're visiting family in Canada, then after Vegas, family in California. Then to Aus for the Lions, where we'll catch up with all sorts of folk we've made friends with in the UK who have moved over to/back to Australia.

To cut a long story short; leave the UK on the 6th of May, arrive New Zealand on the 1st of July.

Whilst I feel I'm relatively well travelled, I never did the travelling experience. So I'm really look forward to two months off work, hanging out with friends and family.

My wife and I have already written out some ground rules to try and ward off falling out over really silly things due to the fact we'll be simply spending too much time together :rofl:

And, as a Dad, spending 2 months solid with my 2 and a half year old will be magic. I'm lucky if I see her for more than 2 hours on a normal weekeday at the moment, so I'm going to cherish every second.

skends Dec 1st 2012 2:39 pm

WOW, how exciting.
Enjoy that time with family and friends, and the travelling bit. Groundrules are good, me and hubby will be spending a whole 6 weeks together from this week. We will have to see how it goes!! Lol

TommyLuck Dec 3rd 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by skends (Post 10411015)
WOW, how exciting.
Enjoy that time with family and friends, and the travelling bit. Groundrules are good, me and hubby will be spending a whole 6 weeks together from this week. We will have to see how it goes!! Lol

We fully intend to, at least two months off work is worth the effort alone :thumbsup:

Good luck on your 6 weeks together, just try and remember to enjoy it when time is stressful - I suppose the mantra "At least I'm not in the office" should be remembered when the stress levels begin rise.

I have now made contact with and sent my CV to the NZ branch of my employer, who are keen to keep in contact about any roles that come up.

I heeded the "It's not what you know, but who you know" comments about employment in NZ and a colleague here in London used to work with one of the senior managment in NZ (at one of our competitors, no less) took it upon herself to contact him on my behalf.

I realise that immigrants do get emloyed in NZ purely on the basis of their own skills and experience with by reglaur means of simply applying for a job. However, moving within my current organisation has always been my number one choice, though never taken for granted. Hopefully, with a bit of luck I can keep my continuous service if a suitable job does come up!!!

TommyLuck Dec 7th 2012 10:55 am

Off to NZ House to pick up my passport shortly ...