Parent retirement resident visa

Old Mar 30th 2022, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Rockhoppers is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Parent retirement resident visa

Hello

We are Jersey residents and have just had our house valued and will have the $NZ1 million investment funds, also the settlement funds and income over $60k a year so hope to join our daughter who has full NZ residency.
So many questions, if anyone has been down this road?
Medicals, we are generally fit and active in late 60's,(I have a bit of high blood pressure and hubby slightly raised cholesterol but controlled on low dose meds) , I presume we need to travel to the UK to have medicals done by one of the panel practices as there are none in Jersey. We are thinking to get this done first before even thinking of putting our house on the market just in case for any reason we didn't pass.
Medical Insurance, I'm presuming we would need private medical insurance for the first 4 years before applying for residency, any recommendations please?
Living, we plan on staying with our daughter and partner in South Island and using our Campervan to travel and see more of NZ, if we are granted residency after 4 yrs, we would buy when we get our investment back.
Investments - how easy is it to arrange from here? We were thinking of HSBC who are licenced in NZ, we already hold a small investment here with them.
Importing vehicles, can you bring two over with your belongings without paying import duties, both have been owned over 3 years, rhd and would comply with NZ regulations.
Shipping the vehicles, the camper would need to go on a Roro vessel and the rest of our goods in a container, any recommendations please?
Dog, we plan on bringing our little dog with us, I know it will cost in the region of £3-5k, any recommendations for a good pet transport company? Can you visit in the quarantine facility?
I think that's all my questions for now, if anyone who has moved under this visa can help and share their experiences, how easy was it, should we get an advisor to set us on the right track and make sure we've dotted the i's and crossed the t's
Thank you

Old Apr 7th 2022, 2:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent retirement resident visa

I wouldnt bother with an agent, all they do is check all the documents you have provided are the correct one and you can do that yourself and save money if you just follow the information pack closely.
There is a limit of a thousand people eligible per year, July-June.
As for selling house now I wouldnt as the application processing time can take up to 2 years & I know there is a very long back log to get through before they starting looking at new applications, trying to find into on the website but the website is awful unless you log on to it.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 7th 2022 at 7:48 am. Reason: added some info
Old Apr 12th 2022, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Adding that as far as I know the Parent Category is in limbo until immigration opens up again.
At that point we should know what the new rules are.
The rules seem to change each time they restart immigration.
We have been waiting since 2016.
Fortunately we still qualify under the latest (so far) set of rules, but anyone with children who don't earn the minimum required will have dropped out.

I do (pessimistically) wonder if the massive rise in house prices and rents will raise the bar for qualifying income when (if) everything reopens.
The parents do have to be able to support themselves and the children do have to be able to pick up the load if required.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Rockhoppers is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you but the visa we want is not the parent retirement visa where the children sponsor the parents, this is the confusingly named Parent resident retirement Visa, which the parent must put in place an investment of 1 million, this visa is still open, we have found an immigration advisor who we are happy to pay for the correct help.