Parent application

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

MimosaB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent application

Hi everyone - my first time posting.

My daughter has permanent residence in NZ and I am thinking of joining her. However, I probably won't do this for three or four years but I am starting to investigate the best way to do this.

My circumstances are:

My daughter is 25 and settled with a partner (been in NZ 6 years now)
I am over 55 but still working full time
I am divorced
I have two other children: a 21 year old daughter who lives independently in Greece with her boyfriend there, and a son, who is 23 who is just finishing university. He is living at home at the moment and has a temporary job.
I work in a shortage area (skilled migrant) at a high level in UK, but I am over the age for 'skilled migrant category'
I own my house and have savings
I will have a good occupational pension (would meet Tier 1 parent requirements)
I am of good health and character
I am British (English first language)
If I stay in the UK I will retire within next 4 years

It appears that the Parent Category would be the best for me - Is this correct? I don't think I have the investment funds for the Parent Retirement category, although I may have the income.

However, in an ideal world I would like to work part time in my profession in NZ. Would I be able to do this or would I have to stop work, if I enter under the Parent Category?

I've trawled the various sections of the Immigration NZ site and can't seem to find all the answers, and I know some forumites will be very knowledgeable.

Thanks for any help that can be given

PS I have been to NZ twice and have spent about 6 weeks there so have a feel for what it is like.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 7:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent application

Hello and welcome to BE,
I would say that the parent category is going to be the best option as neither the SMC or a WTR visa is available for you.
Work visas [if you have a job offer] are only temporary and it's residence that you need to stay permanently.
Only other way to get residence would be under partnership which would mean meeting a NZer and living with them for 12months

I would assume you can work after gaining residency this way but do not know for certain. The website doesn't make it clear
I would suggest emailing INZ via the address of the website or if you're in London pop into NZ House and ask directly. They're usually very helpful.
P
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

MimosaB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parent application

Thank you - that's helpful. I'm not far from London so could pop down and ask directly.