NZ Permanent Resident am I free

Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:15 am
Just Joined

cheval is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Permanent Resident am I free

to live and work in Australia? Or do I have to become a NZ citizen? Or is that not enough anymore?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: NZ Permanent Resident am I free

from the Oz Immy site

Re: NZ Citizens

New Zealand citizens
Australian Citizenship for New Zealand Citizens living in Australia

Since 1973, the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement has allowed Australian and New Zealand citizens to live and work in each other's country without restrictions. On arrival in Australia, most New Zealanders are automatically granted a Special Category Visa. This visa allows the holder to remain and work in Australia indefinitely. However, not all New Zealand citizens living in Australia are eligible to apply for Australian citizenship if they arrived in Australia after 26 February 2001.
As far as I am aware having a NZ PR visa does not give you the right to go work in Australia.

You will need to become an NZ citizen.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:36 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
from the Oz Immy site

Re: NZ Citizens

As far as I am aware having a NZ PR visa does not give you the right to go work in Australia.

You will need to become an NZ citizen.
Hi Bev is spot on if you are unable to get into AUS the only way is if you are NZ Citizens
Lin
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:54 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Yeap ! Sorry to say the back door is closing. NZ citizen or get someone to sponsor you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahahahahaahahahhaahahahha Best of luck
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

littlelollipop is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has NZ permanent residency. When flying to Aus to my brothers wedding he was not allowed to board the plane as he did not have a valid entry visa for Aus. We had to wait several days to get his passport stamped in the city! Unless the rules have changed I have always thought that live and work is based on your citizenship and therefore although you have NZ PR you need to apply to live and work just like all migrants.

We are currently living in the UK and planning on returning to NZ soon. We had hoped to go to Australia but as my oh didn't get his citizenship even though he had been in NZ for 15 years, I thought we would need to go back to NZ and live there long enough for him to get his citizenship before we can contemplate a move to Australia.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelollipop
We are currently living in the UK and planning on returning to NZ soon. We had hoped to go to Australia but as my oh didn't get his citizenship even though he had been in NZ for 15 years, I thought we would need to go back to NZ and live there long enough for him to get his citizenship before we can contemplate a move to Australia.
Why on earth did he not apply for New Zealand citizenship?

Have you looked to see if you meet Australia's migration requirements?

See also http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why on earth did he not apply for New Zealand citizenship?

Have you looked to see if you meet Australia's migration requirements?

See also http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia
I haven't got citizenship and I have been here 10 years! I'd rather pay the $20 for a visa to aussie..I have no intention of representing nz in a sporting evrnt.
My understanding tho is that as PR...I cannot come and go in Aus
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:59 am
`

However, your circumstances may be different to that of littlelollipop.

When you migrate to another country and settle, then citizenship is always the safer and longlasting way to go.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
However, your circumstances may be different to that of littlelollipop.

When you migrate to another country and settle, then citizenship is always the safer and longlasting way to go.
I do get that it's a good idea...but it's expensive and offers little more than PR. I don't plan to try to get in the back door of Australia and for the little that I go there (once in 10 years) it's not worth it to save on VISA fees.

It is worth knowing though, that on PR YOU WILL NEED A VISA for Aus.
You can buy these online..and from your travel agent.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:34 pm
`

Yes. That's all true & folks exxist very well in Nz with just their PR permits and IRRV visas. However for littlelollipop, in her current predicament ,it would have been better that he had his NZ citizenship.