Not enough points............Is that it?

Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Edinburgh Family is on a distinguished road
Default Not enough points............Is that it?

OK, with hindsight we maybe went about it the wrong way.
We decided we wanted to leave the UK, so started looking in where to move to. Fell in love with NZ, THEN started to look into how to move there.

WE HAVE NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH POINTS

Neither me or my wife completed university (too much cheap beer to be drunk), and we don't seem to have skilled jobs. In fact as far as I can see we only have 45 point

My question is this..........

Do we give up on NZ, or are there ways we could still move to NZ

Thanks guys
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:01 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not enough points............Is that it?

do you have any qualifications? What lines of work are you both in?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Both got A Levels, and I've got my IMC (Investment Management Certificate)

I work in an investment house, but not an analyst or fund manager.
My wife is a medical secretary.....

I feel its not looking good.....................
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I think the only way would be for you to get a job offer and then apply for a temporary work permit for up to 3 years as you wouldn't have enough points even with a job offer [50 for this].

The employer must provide evidence that there are no NZ workers available to do the job and that they have advertised. The bit below is from the NZIS website

Evidence there are no New Zealand workers available
To get an approval in principle before you apply, or to show us that there are no suitable New Zealand workers available when you are applying, the employer has to show that they have have genuinely searched for suitably qualified and trained New Zealand workers.

The employer also has to explain why:

their particular job specifications are necessary for the work
New Zealand applicants are not suitable
New Zealand applicants cannot be readily trained.

We also need to be satisfied that the employer has previously met – and will continue to meet – New Zealand employment and immigration laws.

We usually conduct a labour market test to confirm that no suitable New Zealand workers are available.

We will not consider that the evidence is sufficient if either of the following situations apply:

The advertising for the position is written in a way that discourages New Zealand workers from applying.
There are suitable New Zealand workers available. This includes cases where New Zealand workers are unwilling to take up the work because of the terms and conditions, such as salary or wages, the employer is offering.

It looks like neither of your jobs are on the intermediate skills shortage list so the above applies I'm afraid.
What about retraining if you're really serious, look at the ISSL and LTSSL to see what NZ wants and see if anything catches your eye
Maybe try looking at jobs over there and see what's on offer first

Good luck
Sue

All the best
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:27 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all

Hi there.

It depends whether you want to take the risk of landing with nothing in place.
We are having to do this because NZIS confused themselves with our application. 130 points including 15 for job on skill shortage list, only to be told by case officer I could only claim points with a job offer:curse: Straight back to 65 points I only put in and paid for the EOI after many long conversations with NZIS to make sure the application was correct. Still can't do much about it now so we move on. We are just waiting for the house to sell like a lot of others, then we will be on our way.

Land, get job get PR. Simple really

There are many on here that have done it this way and I am sure many more will follow.
Goodluck with whatever you decide

Martin and Jo
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

We were contemplating coming over on a 3 year work visa and keep getting it renewed. But I wanted to know that we will get PR. So I am off to college in Sept to do hairdressing for a couple of years, get my quals, over to NZ, get a job then put in for PR. There is always a way round it if you look hard enough. Check the skills they need and see if anything catches your eye you could retrain in.

Good luck!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this guys, really useful.
Sounds like its not dead in the water just yet then

Marjol - Have I understood you correctly. You don't have enough points and you are just going to arrive in NZ and hope you get a job?
Does this mean you just go 'on holiday', find a job, than apply for a work visa?

We are considering retraining. My wife is looking at hairdressing funnily enough. Am I right that our 45 pts wouldn't matter if she did this because she would then be on the 'wanted list'?

Sorry if these questions are daft, just trying to get my head round all of this as we thought we had no chance
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:53 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all

Marjol - Have I understood you correctly. You don't have enough points and you are just going to arrive in NZ and hope you get a job?
Does this mean you just go 'on holiday', find a job, than apply for a work visa?

[/QUOTE]

Thats the plan, 6 month holiday visa, although we do have the advantage of the Father in law living there so we have someone to land on.
In some ways we are better off because more employment doors have opened up because of experience over qualifications.
If you look at the ANZSCO website or ask BEVShere experience is another way in, bit complicated but might be worth looking at.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Best of luck, very brave, but hope it works out.

Here's a thought. \i see that plasters are required in NZ at the moment.
If I retrained as a plaster (could be done in less than a year according to what I've read) could we get in this way?

Would I need to work as a plaster once I got there?

What I'm thinking is that the type of job I currently do pays better, but retraining would get us in.

Is this possible?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

I'm doing hairdressing which should take me two years of hard work to get my NVQ3. Then I will get an assessment and get enough points to bump us up over the 100 mark. With a job offer it would take us well over. I figure that I don't have to do that once over there but it is a skill I can use whenever and work it around my family if need be. Hairdressing isn't a 'wanted' skill over there but if you look on the NZIS webiste they list some C&G qualifications which are worth quite a few points - hairdressing is one of them.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:04 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

WOW what alot of info

I think there are many people who do just go to NZ on a holiday visa, find a job and get a work permit. I know of a few families who have done this and it has all worked out fine.

If retraining is an option then its a good plan. There are many 1 year courses that you can do which qualify for points.

Same thing has happened to us as has happened to Marjol. We thought we had 135 points, but to get the bonus points for skills shortage hubby would need a degree in IT! Not gonna happen! So now we are down to 85! I was thinking about doing an HNC in Business which qualifies for 50 points (or 20 as a partner)!

We are planning to go on a holiday visa and hope for the best. Although we are not gonna sell up here until we have work permits in NZ, just incase... You never know!! Plus its a good security blanket!

I think if its what you want you have gotta try and get it... So good luck and hope it all works out well.

C xxx