Might be a silly question....

Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Might be a silly question....

but if you get given PR based on your qualifications and skill, without a job offer do you have to get a job doing what you applied with?? I know there is probably a simple answer but I just need to know! Is there something that states you must get a job in 'this' proffession. How do they know? Silly maybe but have searched other threads and can find no answer to my query.
Thanks to anyone that can put me out of my frustration at not knowing the answer!!
Cheers Chris
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might be a silly question....

Hi Chris
It's not a silly question! I had wondered the same since I need to find a job in a specific area and it's possible one may not come up for a while. Could I get a temporary job doing something else until one came up? I would want to do my normal job evenually as I [mostly] enjoy it and not sure I'm that skilled at anything else!!!
Hoping someone can answer

Sue
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by alchris
but if you get given PR based on your qualifications and skill, without a job offer do you have to get a job doing what you applied with??
Cheers Chris
If you gain an 'unconditional PR' then you are free to work at any job as a Permanent Resident.

Many people that gain PR with a job offer have a condition attached which requires them to remain with that job for 3 months. After that they are free to work at any job .

If you gain PR without a job offer attached, it is likely you will be free to choose any employment , inside or outside of your skill.

Originally Posted by SueR
It's not a silly question! I had wondered the same since I need to find a job in a specific area and it's possible one may not come up for a while. Could I get a temporary job doing something else until one came up? I would want to do my normal job eventually as I [mostly] enjoy it and not sure I'm that skilled at anything else
You may well be offered PR Sue before you hit NZ soil.

If you have PR when you are ready to take up employment, then you should be free to take up any employment . You cannot know for certain until you receive your PR blue sticker and letter of confirmation but it is most likely that your PR status will be unconditional.

If you don't have PR and want to take up work , then you would have to apply for a temporary work permit.
If that work is not ont he shortages lists then the employer has to show there is no NZ resident for that job.
If the work is on the shortages list then they are free to offer you the job .
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS here
If you gain an 'unconditional PR' then you are free to work at any job as a Permanent Resident.

Many people that gain PR with a job offer have a condition attached which requires them to remain with that job for 3 months. After that they are free to work at any job .

If you gain PR without a job offer attached, it is likely you will be free to choose any employment , inside or outside of your skill.

You may well be offered PR Sue before you hit NZ soil.

If you have PR when you are ready to take up employment, then you should be free to take up any employment . You cannot know for certain until you receive your PR blue sticker and letter of confirmation but it is most likely that your PR status will be unconditional.

If you don't have PR and want to take up work , then you would have to apply for a temporary work permit.
If that work is not ont he shortages lists then the employer has to show there is no NZ resident for that job.
If the work is on the shortages list then they are free to offer you the job .
Thanks again Bev for your answer,
Sue- glad I'm not the only one who thought about the question!

OH has telephone interview this Friday cant believe how quick its been only sent in ITA two weeks ago so according to NZIS website we can expect an answer in about 2 weeks time! House has just gone on the market so hopefully that will sell quick too.!! Again a big thanks to you Bevs here as without your words of encouragement at the very beginning we may have never reached this stage
Also thanks to everyone who has answered my questions, even the silly ones. Will let you know how hubby gets on
Cheers Chris