Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

LTBV application approval and your experiences

LTBV application approval and your experiences

Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: LTBV application approval and your experiences

They have already moved and are in the Tauranga region.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Chris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
Hi

Can anyone who has submitted a long term business visa application please share their experiences and indicate how long their application took to progress and approve.
It would also help if you could indicate business type

Thanks
Hi Nelly,
My daughter and I decided to visit NZ in 2006 to see if we would be able to get LTBV, as we had been speaking to a broker in Auckland regarding a 'Franchise' business opportunity. Immigration would only consider this because I was 58 and my daughter 41 and they preferred us to have the security and backing of a 'Franchise'. We met up with the 'Franchisor' and decided that this would be good for us. My daughter had worked in the Health & Fitness industry in the UK for many years and I had worked in various management roles so this 'Franchise' here offered us a new Health & Fitness Club (women only) opportunity in Napier as this is the area we had chosen to live. My daughter had two young daughters so we looked at good schools for them and looked at available houses in the area. We also met with local banks and a 'Migration Business Advisor' at the local City Council whom to this date has been our 'mentor'. This service is 'free' and so helpful to us. While here in 2006, we secured a building to lease in Napier. That started the ball rolling for immigration. We expected to wait a long time for the LTBV to be granted, but at Christmas 2006, we had the 'go ahead'. We both had houses to sell in the UK and notice to our employers, so the panic hit!! But we did it and we actually emigrated over here on 5th April 2007. Once here, we rented an apartment and got the 'Franchise' sorted. We took the leased building over in May, which was an empty shell, had a complete refit and managed to open the Club on 10th September. Even though it is a "Franchise', we had to pay for all of this, all the equipment, the franchise software and employ staff etc. Was really hard work for us as we didn't know anyone here at all. Our aim when we decided to emigrate, was to get here, buy a house each, get the children into school, open and run the business and get residency. We have done all that now, got our residency December 2009. Our Business Plan was to run the Club for 3 to 5 yrs, then sell and move on and do something else. We will stay in Napier as we all love it here. Hawke's Bay weather is great. The way of life here is very different and a culture shock but we think far better than what we left in the UK. We have had no regrets!! We have put the business up for sale now, big decision after all the hard work and money we have put into it but it has helped us start our new lives here. The business is a great success, lovely health and fitness club for women and we have almost 600 members and growing. We are very proud of what we have achieved. So we say to anyone out there who are looking at taking the plunge, go for it, you will never know until you try it. Good luck!! Christine - Napier
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:33 am
Just Joined

anewstart is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got news I've been given my LTBV. A long process starting back in June 2010. Now if I can just sell my house in this market! Anyway, first big hurdle out of the way!!

Look out North Shore, Auckland.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Chris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your house sale, it sounds pretty slow over there. The housing market is slow over here at the moment but that should be good for you when you get here as there is a lot of choice!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:08 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anewstart
Just got news I've been given my LTBV. A long process starting back in June 2010. Now if I can just sell my house in this market! Anyway, first big hurdle out of the way!!

Look out North Shore, Auckland.
Hi anew sorry for long delay. I am thrilled you got your LTBV and would love to hear where you are with your move now.

We have settled in Tauranga area and love it! We arrived in November 2010 but still haven't secured the business long story but happy to share our experiences with you via private message if you like.
Old May 28th 2011, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

stiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

How crucial is the business plan for LTBV application, considering I have already successful running company which I intend to move to New Zealand?
Old May 28th 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi, When we came to NZ we were buying into a Franchise for our LTBV application, so had to have a Business Plan anyway, even though it was a NZ franchise. I guess you would need to give a business plan as it would be a new business in NZ and they would need a solid plan even though you had run a business elsewhere. How far are you into your application? Maybe you should ask the question, will be interested in the outcome.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris-Napier
Hi, When we came to NZ we were buying into a Franchise for our LTBV application, so had to have a Business Plan anyway, even though it was a NZ franchise. I guess you would need to give a business plan as it would be a new business in NZ and they would need a solid plan even though you had run a business elsewhere. How far are you into your application? Maybe you should ask the question, will be interested in the outcome.
I haven't lodge the application yet. I am trying to find out all pros and cons of running a company in NZ. It is obviously much worse in terms of taxes than Singapore but I am looking at different aspects and place to settle down.

I asked Immigration NZ already on what's the easiest way of relocating my company but received rather generic answer explaining who is eligible to run a business in NZ.

Being the only director and 100% shareholder of the company, do I need to employ myself at such company on a fix salary basis and pay personal income tax rates or I would just need to pay corporate tax rates and withdraw dividends as my income? Do I need to pay additional income tax on dividends received?
Old May 28th 2011, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

My daughter and I are joint owners and have for the past 4+ years just taken drawings from our company so we have not yet got into the tax thing yet. But at the very beginning, we had to state that we would employ kiwi's etc. We have had great help from a Business Mentor at the City Council who helps people who have emigrated here - free of charge. Not sure that all Council's offer this service but that could be something you could explore as they have always given help and advice to us and still do.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris-Napier
My daughter and I are joint owners and have for the past 4+ years just taken drawings from our company so we have not yet got into the tax thing yet. But at the very beginning, we had to state that we would employ kiwi's etc. We have had great help from a Business Mentor at the City Council who helps people who have emigrated here - free of charge. Not sure that all Council's offer this service but that could be something you could explore as they have always given help and advice to us and still do.
Are you saying that your company pays 28% tax and you simply take the drawings out? So there is no need to pay any additional personal income tax on those drawings?