Language tests for Nurses.

Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:37 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Language tests for Nurses.

Apparently, Nurses, and i dare say other professions have to sit a language test,even if they are born and bred in the U.K. Is there anyone out there that can expand on this.Cheers.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language tests for Nurses.

Not aware of this; where do you need to do the test for?Is it for the nursing council,on EOI???? I have registered with the NZNC and have a job waiting and nobody mentioned a language test.

Phyl x
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Is that something specific to nurses to do with their registration?
Everyone submitting an EOI has to prove proficiency in English in some way or another. If not a native English speaker then you have to do an IELTS test or show a qualification gained in English.
If you have lived in the UK all your life then there is no need to sit any test. If you have a qualification that was obtained in the UK then that is enough proof.
On my EOI I said I met the minimum standard required and filled in the box explaining that I had been born and lived in the UK all my life and that all my education had been in English. This was enough to get me PR
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:12 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phyl
How are you getting on? Looking forward to getting over here
Before you know it you'll be driving to the airport and wondering where the time went!
All the best
Sue
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

kerinurse75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Language tests for Nurses.

Originally Posted by gedsy
Apparently, Nurses, and i dare say other professions have to sit a language test,even if they are born and bred in the U.K. Is there anyone out there that can expand on this.Cheers.
I think its called IELTS- International English Language Test. I am an American- born nurse, who is marrying a UK citizen, and this is what I was told I would have to take and pass with a certain score before I can even apply to the NMC. I found all this info on the UK board of nursing website.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

jakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nice

Hiya, Im just starting the emigration process myself and after reading through the nursing council site last night I read that I am also required to take an english language assessment before I can register as a nurse. I was also puzzled as to where to take this as I couldn`t find any more information on this subject. I was also wondering if anyone else has taken this test and what it consists of.

Jaks. X
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

kerinurse75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Language tests for Nurses.

Look up IELTS in google or another search engine- go to the main website- it can tell you where testing sites are. There are study books/guides for this test, much like SAT/ACT and other tests. I have not taken in yet myself- the study guide seems to be about reading/writing comprehension, etc, in English.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

jakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nice

Im posting you this link this is from the nz nursing council for international nurses applying to work in nz, it looks like this is new because its under Febs media entry.

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/App...%2019Feb09.pdf

Jaks
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

newbie 667 is on a distinguished road

Hi

It is a new requirement for nurses registering with the council this year, even if you are a british born national and lived in the UK all your life.

I got an advance warning about this so registered with the NZNC last September.

Regards
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense now as I registered way back last year.....thought it was something else I had to do!!

Phyl x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I'm just going through this now so I'll tell you what I know. The IELTS academic english test is required for all overseas nurses applying for New Zealand registration. This came into force from the 1st January 2009. I would think it may apply to other professional bodies too.

I wish I had known about this before as I could easily have applied for the registration last year.....Ho hum!

NZ registration is for life so all those that applied pre 01.01.09, don't have to do it unless english is not your first language.

There are two types of IELTS and the NZ Nursing council will only accept the academic version with a pass grade of 7.

The test can be taken at numerous colleges around the country but you need to get it booked as they book up quickly. Cost is £105 and mine is booked for the 18th April 2009 in Plymouth.http://www.ielts.org

I spoke with a nice lady at the college. It involves Reading, listening, talking and writing. Sounds silly but it isn't that easy....apparently

It looks like it is held once a month on a saturday and pretty much lasts all day.

Results are usually sent out about 10days after the test. You get a copy and the NZ registration board get one too. This sounds a bit on the daft side to me.....as you can't apply for registration until you have your result, so the NZNC will get the result and have no clue who I am.

Anyway if anyone needs more info, just let me know
Maria x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:41 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Maria. Guess what? My wife applied before 1-1-09 so she does'nt have to do it.Good luck with yours.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Maria. Guess what? My wife applied before 1-1-09 so she does'nt have to do it.Good luck with yours.
LOL...You are so lucky