Immigration advisers - yay or nay?

Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

PJ1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration advisers - yay or nay?

I know this has been a favourite topic on these boards, but each set of circumstances is different. Just want to see what people think.

I've just spoken to an experienced licenced adviser to ask what value they can add (phrasing didn't go down too well, but hey ho). For £1800 (+VAT), the positives I draw are:
- Knowledge and expediency
- Strategic partnership with a recruitment consultant - helps with confirming I'm 'serious' about the move and will help with speed once job secured
- I was concerned that my qualifications aren't recognised - his opinion was that I could get the 100 points (incl job offer) without needing to validate those, thus saving around £400.
- I have little patience with paperwork.
- All his costs paid in instalments when defined stages are completed (the final one not being until visa application, by then job offer hopefully received).

Reservations:
- Is it really that difficult to complete the paperwork? How many 'tricks' could an adviser employ to get me enough points and the quickest route possible?
- A friend recently moved without using an adviser but used the same recruitment consultant - he's enjoying life there now.
- Mentioned going straight for the WTR visa as it provides greater flexibility of movement, although costs more.

I'm leaning towards engaging him, more for the convenience and knowledge around the process. I see that many experiences on this forum are quite negative, but wanted to see if anyone thinks it's worth it, given the points mentioned above.

Long post - sorry! But really appreciate some views.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 6:08 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration advisers - yay or nay?

Originally Posted by PJ1973
I know this has been a favourite topic on these boards, but each set of circumstances is different. Just want to see what people think.
It's true that everyone's circumstances are different. I think most of us that have done the visa application ourselves can see how easy it is to do and so find it astounding at the amounts quoted. I realise that you are paying for their expertise and they do come into their own when things get complicated but most people don't have such complicated lives I suggest taking a good look at the forms and what is involved and then deciding whether you feel you need extra help.
I've just spoken to an experienced licenced adviser to ask what value they can add (phrasing didn't go down too well, but hey ho). For £1800 (+VAT), the positives I draw are: And I presume you have the visa costs on top of that?
- Knowledge and expediency The knowledge is all on the NZ website and yes it does save you having to read through it so would save time in that respect
- Strategic partnership with a recruitment consultant - helps with confirming I'm 'serious' about the move and will help with speed once job secured Jobs for the boys? Could do, it depends on your profession. Some would be willing to accept that you know what you're talking about when it comes to organising a visa.
- I was concerned that my qualifications aren't recognised - his opinion was that I could get the 100 points (incl job offer) without needing to validate those, thus saving around £400.Interesting. Is your job one of those where a number of years of work experience can replace a formal qualification?
- I have little patience with paperwork.Do it online As I said above, have a look first before deciding that £1800 is worth it. It may be that you decide it is, it may be you find it not that onerous
- All his costs paid in instalments when defined stages are completed (the final one not being until visa application, by then job offer hopefully received).

Reservations:
- Is it really that difficult to complete the paperwork? How many 'tricks' could an adviser employ to get me enough points and the quickest route possible?I can't think of any 'tricks' that can get you more points. The points tables are what they are and you can either claim them or you can't. NZ Immigration do not give priority to an application that has used an advisor. The only gain would be the time you took in filling in the form. However this can be filled in in advance, saved online and only completed once you have a job offer in place
- A friend recently moved without using an adviser but used the same recruitment consultant - he's enjoying life there now.The majority of us on here have not used an advisor either! I'm sure he could help you as well
- Mentioned going straight for the WTR visa as it provides greater flexibility of movement, although costs more. You'd still need a job offer and are confined to that employer for two years. You can change employer but the new one still has to fit the conditions needed for a WTR visa to be issued eg on the LTSSL, accredited employer. Would this be instead of the SMC or as well? Often people apply for a WTR or work visa if the employer wants them to start work before a SMC application will have been processed

I'm leaning towards engaging him, more for the convenience and knowledge around the process. I see that many experiences on this forum are quite negative, but wanted to see if anyone thinks it's worth it, given the points mentioned above. If you have enough points then there is no advantage to using an advisor, they can't magic more points out of nowhere It sounds like you need a job offer first anyway so that will be your main issue. Once gained then you can apply. Those with 140 points and those with job offers tend to be selected at each draw at the moment.

Long post - sorry! But really appreciate some views.
Another advantage to doing it yourself is that you are intimately involved with the process and get to understand what needs doing and when a little bit more than going through an advisor. I'm thinking of a recent poster who used an advisor and had some issues with communication between NZIS, the advisor and herself. It was clear that the process hadn't been explained very well to her and things got confusing quite quickly...

Good luck with whatever you decide!