Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How long can one delay activating the PR?

How long can one delay activating the PR?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:55 am
Just Joined

xj25vm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long can one delay activating the PR?

This might be a slightly strange question - and possibly the opposite of what is normally asked. If one is to apply for the Skilled Migrant category for permanent residence while outside NZ, go through EOI, invitation to apply - and then receive the permanent residence from NZ immigration (or do they use some transitional visa before actually entering the country?) - how long would one be allowed to keep hold of the permanent residence (or permanent residence offer) before it expires? In other words, if the whole process is complete - how long does the applicant have before they actually have to move to NZ - or else the PR would expire if not used. I'm assuming there is a time limit - as most other countries seem to operate in a similar fashion.

I've sifted through the wiki and other sources - and can't seem to find the answer. I guess most people would want to know how quickly, not how slowly, they can get there
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can one delay activating the PR?

If you get full PR straight away, then it's a year from when you get the blue stickers in your passport to get there. However, they may give you work to residency PR, which gives you three months to arrive, then a certain time in which to get a job before you get full PR. Some occupations, due to registration reasons, can only get WTR PR. Have a search on "pharmacist" on this board, as I think they fall under this category.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

xj25vm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you janiejones. That's exactly the info I was after
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:21 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I would add is that if PR is issued on the basis of a job offer and that offer gets withdrawn because you don't show (or any other reason), then the wheels fall off.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:20 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You also have 6 months to get the blue stickers in your passport once residency is approved. You could delay your move to NZ to just under 18months if you do everything as close to the expiry date as possible.