Help with NZ visa

Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:15 am
Just Joined

mike vernon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with NZ visa

help we need some advice, we are looking into moving from uk to NZ under the skilled migrant category (motor mechanic) i was going to send off expression of interest first and try to sort resident visa before leaving uk. I have now found out that i will very possibly be made redundant in the new year, so would like to speed up plans to emigrate, the problem is this the NZ government at Manchester emigration expo told us we could arrive in NZ with holiday visa with a return plane ticket and look and find work, then apply for a work visa whilst still in NZ, refund our air tickets if possible and stay on, Now my wife has just read in an emigration book that all expressions of interest and visas have to be submitted from our resident country before we can go and look for work, so now i am slightly confused and am not willing to sell up everything and transport wife and kids and pets to new country only to be booted out

mike n kas
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Help with NZ visa

Originally Posted by mike vernon
help we need some advice, we are looking into moving from uk to NZ under the skilled migrant category (motor mechanic) i was going to send off expression of interest first and try to sort resident visa before leaving uk. I have now found out that i will very possibly be made redundant in the new year, so would like to speed up plans to emigrate, the problem is this the NZ government at Manchester emigration expo told us we could arrive in NZ with holiday visa with a return plane ticket and look and find work, then apply for a work visa whilst still in NZ, refund our air tickets if possible and stay on, Now my wife has just read in an emigration book that all expressions of interest and visas have to be submitted from our resident country before we can go and look for work, so now i am slightly confused and am not willing to sell up everything and transport wife and kids and pets to new country only to be booted out

mike n kas
I would say your only sure way of finding out for definite is to speak to the New Zealand Immigration Office in London which is located within New Zealand House the immigration website lists the following
London Branch contact details
Phone
09069 100 100 National (calls charged at 1.00 pound per minute)

+44 13 44 71 61 99 International

Fax
+44 207 973 0370

Telephone Information Services
A 24 hour telephone information service is available seven days per week
Information Call Centres - UK: 09069100100 (calls are charged at premium rates 1.00 GBP per minute)
Outside the UK: +44 1344 71 61 99 (overseas call rates apply)
Requests for application packs are to be made using the above telephone numbers.

I'd speak to those that should know...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Re: Help with NZ visa

mike n kas
Hi there

My husband and I are using a similar method to that you described and going over in the new year on a working holiday visa. We then intend to apply for PR via skilled migrant route from that end once we have secured employment. We have never been lead to believe that this is not possible - quite the opposite in fact - we have always been told that this is a perfectly acceptable rout to take.

Of course there is never any harm in checking with NZIS but I am sure you will find you are able to apply once there. After all, the initial stages are completed online anyway!

Good luck with your venture.

Amy
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

mike n kas

Hi

We're looking at going out in the New Year on a work to residence visa and have being told by NZIS that we can apply for PR when we arrive. If you're in any doubt and don't want to phone the £1 a min. phone no. then you can always email them. I've used it a couple of times and its very quick ( 24-36 hrs) to get a reply

Good Luck
Sarah
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice

Yes - good questions!!! What do people think about the "trying to get a permanent work visa before being offered/ applying for a job" approach? I have had positive responses to my queries about jobs in my field in NZ, but could not take them up as they wanted me to start almost right away. Would it be better to try to get a permanent visa beforehand so I could just up and go if something comes up?

I have the points to qualify because I have teaching qualifications and experience - one of those wonderful "shortage professions" - but I do not intend to teach (I'm now in educational publishing/ children's books). In the EOI, they only ask if you _have_ the quals/ experience, not if you intend to use them.

So frustrating to work it all out - which comes first, the chicken or the egg?! At least The Other Half is a Kiwi so all is smooth sailing for him...

Any help would be v. much appreciated...
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I would say your only sure way of finding out for definite is to speak to the New Zealand Immigration Office in London which is located within New Zealand House the immigration website lists the following
London Branch contact details
Phone
09069 100 100 National (calls charged at 1.00 pound per minute)

+44 13 44 71 61 99 International

Fax
+44 207 973 0370

Telephone Information Services
A 24 hour telephone information service is available seven days per week
Information Call Centres - UK: 09069100100 (calls are charged at premium rates 1.00 GBP per minute)
Outside the UK: +44 1344 71 61 99 (overseas call rates apply)
Requests for application packs are to be made using the above telephone numbers.

I'd speak to those that should know...
It's odd how they can offer a standard rate phone number to those outside the UK, but a premium rate number to those inside it.

I wonder how many people realise it's much cheaper (from western countries) to call a UK landline from overseas than it is to call a premium rate number from within the UK?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris
At least The Other Half is a Kiwi so all is smooth sailing for him...

Any help would be v. much appreciated...
Errrmmm, if your husband/partner is a kiwi, then why aren't you applying under the spousal visa?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice

Need to be cohabiting for a year _before_ you start applying - haven't quite made it yet.

Originally Posted by Apple12
Errrmmm, if your husband/partner is a kiwi, then why aren't you applying under the spousal visa?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:19 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Need to be cohabiting for a year _before_ you start applying - haven't quite made it yet.
Can you not lie?

I mean exagerate the truth.......
Old Nov 10th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I wonder how many people realise it's much cheaper (from western countries) to call a UK landline from overseas than it is to call a premium rate number from within the UK?
It's much cheaper to call the UK landline from inside the UK too!

K.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Now my wife has just read in an emigration book that all expressions of interest and visas have to be submitted from our resident country before we can go and look for work
You can submit an EOI over the net. I did while I was studying in Canada. All the guides you need are online, but remember to take a big pile of certified copies of all your documents (birth certificates, passports, etc.) with you when you go since you'll need to assemble the final pack in paper form (you can take your medical wherever you are in the world; I took mine in Canada) and then mail it to the INZ office in the UK.

K.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

OK.
But wouldn't make sense to wait until you have been cohabiting a year and then apply? Those months will soon whiz by while you are getting the paperwork together for the other options, and I am pretty sure that coming in on your partners shirttails is easier then the other ways.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:04 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Apple12
OK.
But wouldn't make sense to wait until you have been cohabiting a year and then apply? Those months will soon whiz by while you are getting the paperwork together for the other options, and I am pretty sure that coming in on your partners shirttails is easier then the other ways.
Hi Apple, sorry to jump in, but as many regulars already know my hubby's a Kiwi and we don't have the not meeting time scale to prove it, I've spent nearly 20 years with the fool and have 4 kids to prove it!!!

But, as many don't realise, the paperwork is still a long, time-consuming, expensive exercise! £420 for PR. hubby sponsors me under the Partnership Policy. Pay for medicals and police checks. Submit mountains of forms. 8 weeks to be assigned a case officer. (Although, in balance, application automatically accepted) up to 4 months to receive PR & passports back.

Not as easy as we initially thought.

Yes we could just go and sort it out from there. But I like the i's dotted and the t's crossed! (Incase he dumps me!!)
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:24 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Bumping this thread back up the ladder. My OH has been told by NZIS to put in an app for work visa as she has a job offer and start date for the end of January. quite typically the xmas break happened in the middle of it all and now she has the form sent from employer, minus half a page, by fax. so we still need that half page then the app. goes in. IF we get her to NZ by the end of January, me and the kids still have to wait for the ITA to come, having been selected in mid november so we could be apart for ages. what are the pro's and cons of me going for family stream with the kids and finishing the PR app. in NZ
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Help with NZ visa

mike n kas
Hi Mike,
My husband, myself and our 3 children arrived in Auckland on the 15th Nov 2006. We had sold everything in the Uk and were hoping on my husband getting a job offer when we arrived so we could apply for a work permit and stay. We then hope to apply for residence asap.
My husband now has a job offer and is waiting for his work permit, we did our medicals and everything here. It is nerve wracking and very hectic but its totally possible. Just make sure when passing through NZ immigration you tell them your having a six month holiday looking around everywhere before using your return ticket. As long as you have a return ticket then there not bothered.
Good Luck and go for it. carole