Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Help with filling out EOI please - re work experience/quals

Help with filling out EOI please - re work experience/quals

Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough
Default Help with filling out EOI please - re work experience/quals

Hi Everyone

We are just trying to fill out the EOI as with the new immigration changes it turns out we may have a sporting chance. So much information is required, I'm only half way and already am exhausted.

Anyway, I need a bit of help . .

Our situation is so complicated but I don't really know how to find the answer. Perhaps you could just give us some advice and guidance.

My OH is main application. He is a Teacher, has 5 years experience but no NZ recognised teaching qualification (so that means he can't claim to have skills in an area of absolute skills shortage) so we've scrapped that idea and realised that he has qualifications from his degree and honours degree prior to his becoming a teacher in another occupation on the skills shortage list that is not related to teaching at all - so we are applying based on his qualifications in this area BUT my concerns are:

1) can he claim to have qualifications in an area of skills shortage without having the work experience to back it up (ie he has only ever worked as a teacher and never actually used his first degree)

2) if he claims under the general work experience part for teaching, will they accept that this is skilled employment even though they won't recognise his teaching qualification?

3) is it better to leave off the work experience completely and claim zero points even though it means overall we get less points.

Hmm, would be grateful for your thoughts on the matter. It's expensive for us to submit the EOI so I don't want to do it if it is going to be rejected.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help with filling out EOI please - re work experience/quals

Hello,
Im in a similar situation to you, where as the current job im in is not on the skills list, but i do however have expirence in another different field which i did for years which is on the issl/ skills list. I do plan to submit this past experience etc and If need be take a job in this field. I think he should be able to change jobs once its all done and dusted. I havent filled in an EOI also, so i will watch your replies. Good luck. Gary.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

we were in a very similar situation, i have a degree in tourism which is recognised but is not on the skills shortage list but experience in other areas, i could claim points for both, as we did a quick check to make sure that we would have enough, and i came out with 110, however my husband is an electrician and he had 135 as all his experience is in the one area, but it can be done, if the qualifications and experience are not in the same field, but someone who has a bit more knowledge about the whole thing might be able to veryfy this.

good luck with it all

withr regards

kirstie
Old Aug 4th 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough

thanks guys. It tried to get in touch with NZIS about it and asked them specifically about the fact that OH's experience was in Teaching and if he could still claim general skilled work experience as a Teacher even though in the eyes of the NZ Teachers Council he is not qualified to teach.

Well cheesed off because they weren't very helpful at all and just quoted bits from the website that I had already read and I'm no closer to finding the answer. I guess I'll just submit EOI and see what happens. Worst case scenario is they look at it and throw us back in the pool.

Looking to find a job to boost points I think.