Health Requirement

Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

samans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Requirement

Hi,
I'm 30yrs old. I have 115 points on Analyst programmer.

my concern is as follows.

My BMI is 46 (way over ).
I may have diabetes (not sure).

Will this affect on my migration to New Zealand.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Requirement

I've just dug back to where I asked a similar question and I was advised that over 35 will usually get the medical referred. Referred does not mean a straight out no but I would be lying if I said its not likely to have at least some impact. You mention you have diabetes, is this type 1 or 2, I ask more out of curiousity as to how well controlled it is and what medication you require as this may affect how your medical is aseessed. However, I dont have any inside knowledge so feel free not to answer.

More pressing are the 115 points. The current threshold for automatic selection is 140 with or without job offer. I think you do have a small chance if you have 100 and a job offer but its far less likely as there are often more than enough 140 point candidates to fill the quota.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 7:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as Laura has stated you would be highly unlikely to be pulled from the pool with 115 points, even with a job offer (you would have to go an alternative visa route). I have seen people get through the selection and not get through due to too high BMI so I would say you would need to be trying to bring that down somewhat before you go any further
Old Jan 10th 2015, 8:37 am
Just Joined

samans is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
Is this BMI applicable for Australia also ?
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum health requirements for Australia differ depending on the visa being applied for but yes I'd say they are also keen on the BMI figure.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:27 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was 37 when I had my medical. I was told to lose weight by the doctor as if It could get referred I'd have to then lose weight ie bmi under 35 to pass.
So I lost 2.5 stone within 3 months. Anyway it was all approved. Wasn't sent to be reviewed ect.
I was shocked and relieved. I spoke to immigration officer and they said since I was over 6ft and in otherwise perfect health everything was ok. HOWEVER my bmi needs to be under 35 for my work to residency visa to be granted to residency after Iv been here for the two years . I'm well under 35 now.

Points aside.....It's very unlikely you would pass a medical.

Perhaps go see your gp so they can weigh you and give you some advice. Try losing some weight. Then at least when your medical is referred you can prove how much weight you've lost.

All the best x

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Jan 13th 2015 at 1:30 am.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:49 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I also think you may have problems passing the medical side of things. MovingtoNZ2013 has good advice about speaking to your doctor.

I also want to mention the chances of being selected as there is some incorrect information above.
Every single draw in 2014 and 2015 [so far], I didn't go further back, has included pretty much only the following categories:

All those with 140 pts or above-with or without a job offer
All those with 100 -140 pts WITH points for a job offer.

So your chances of being selected with 115 points and a job offer are no different to someone with 140.
However your chances of being selected with 115 and NO job offer is extremely slim.
P