Confused with point calculation

Old Jul 6th 2013, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

harry79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused with point calculation

Hello All,
I am newbie to this forum. I have gone through the NZ immigration website but i am having difficulties to go through lots of link and calculating points. If anyone can help to calculate my points and process for applying immigration PR will be great.

My details are as follow

1) Education: Bachelor in Electronics Engineering(India), Graduate Diploma in computer science (Ireland), Master of Science in Computer (UK)

2) 5 years of total experience (Programmer Analyst- 1.5 year, Software/Technical developer - 6 months, Database Administrator - 3 years.

I have checked
Is your work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's: areas of absolute skills shortage?
Yes

and

Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's:
areas of absolute skills shortage?
Yes

3) Age 30-39

Spouse Details

1) Bachelor in Electronics Engineering
2) Working as a Assistant Professor in Engineering college ( More than 6 years)
3) Age: 30-39

One child : Age - 2.5 years.

Do i need to take IELTS? As i have read on NZ website that if you have done your diploma in English medium then i do not need to take IELTS. I have letter from my B.E engineering college as well from Ireland that my course was taught in English.

Also do i need to do Assessment of my qualification? If yes then when should i have to do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hear soon.

According to point calculator i am getting 140 points.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 10:08 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused with point calculation

firstly you can only claim for one qualification and it has to be through a recognised educational body, list is on the Immigration website not sure if you have checked that.

Check that first and redo the points calculator and see what points you get if you get the same then I would say at least fill it in and have it on hold ready to submit and then start looking for work to see how much work is out there in your field. and go from there
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

harry79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
firstly you can only claim for one qualification and it has to be through a recognised educational body, list is on the Immigration website not sure if you have checked that.

Check that first and redo the points calculator and see what points you get if you get the same then I would say at least fill it in and have it on hold ready to submit and then start looking for work to see how much work is out there in your field. and go from there
Thanks MrsFychan for your reply.
I have calculated as you suggested.
Bachelor in Electronics Engineering will get me 50 points. As i am working in IT industry i will be able to claim bonus point for my skills.
According to point calculator i am able to reach 140 points but i am not 100% sure. Should i get point for
1) work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's:
areas of absolute skills shortage? My work experience is in LTSSL list (DBA)
2) Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's:
areas of absolute skills shortage? As i have completed Bachelor in Electronics Engineering it comes under that list.
3) My wife has completed same degree as me and it comes under Level 7, so i can claim points for her as well, right?

Thanks for your time.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:12 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

You would be better to claim for your Masters, rather than your bachelor degree. As its from a UK institution, the process to recognise it should be straight forward and worth more points.

Provided it is from a recognised institution.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

What is your points breakdown please? It will be easier to say yes or no if we know how you've got to the total score

Should i get point for
1) work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's:
areas of absolute skills shortage? My work experience is in LTSSL list (DBA)
Only if you are working in NZ or have a job offer already. You can claim points for Work Experience in an area of skills shortage though [as long as you qualify under the LTSSL columns 3 and 4]

2) Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's:
areas of absolute skills shortage? As i have completed Bachelor in Electronics Engineering it comes under that list.
yes!
3) My wife has completed same degree as me and it comes under Level 7, so i can claim points for her as well, right?
20 points for a partner's level 7 qualification and it must be recognised also. When you say 'same degree', do you mean at the same university or the same subject at a different university to you? Her English ability needs to be equivalent to that required for the principal candidate to claim these points. So either taught in English or score IELTS 6.5