Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Caught in the catch 22. Do I need to alter C.V to suit kiwi Job market

Caught in the catch 22. Do I need to alter C.V to suit kiwi Job market

Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Martin234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caught in the catch 22. Do I need to alter C.V to suit kiwi Job market

Hi I’m now caught in the catch 22, (can’t get a visa without a job, can’t get a job without a visa).
I’ve heard that you need to modify your C.V for the Kiwi job market. Is this true or is it just a sales gimmick from one of these companies who claim they can do everything thing for you, for a price?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:26 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caught in the catch 22. Do I need to alter C.V to suit kiwi Job market

I got this advice recently:-

The recommended New Zealand layout for a CV is as follows (According to the Auckland Chamber of Commerce):

Page 1
Personal Data (Centred)
Christian Name & Surname only, mailing address, home & mobile numbers & e-mail address. No need to include things like age, marital status, date of birth, health and so on. You can include NZ residency status if you wish.

Career Objectives
2 Sentences that is your career goal and leads the direction of your CV. Paragraph needs to be short and specific to the post you are applying for (Update this part for every application) Include career field, area, no. of years experience, what you bring the employer.

Personal Attributes
Personal trates & strengths that honestly describe you. List 5 or 6. These judge your "Company fit" so make sure you understand the Kiwi meanings.

Specific Skills
Vocational & transferable skills. List soft skills first, then hard skills. (My understanding is that NZ employers like employees with soft people skills, so list these first) Maybe 8 total.

Page 2
Work History
New Zealand work experience first (most recent to least recent) then other world work experience (again, most recent to least recent) Include dates ie 03/2002 - 09/2005 (right hand side) and include major responsibilities and achievements. Try not to use "I did this or that", instead appear a team player "We did this or that".
Work history should support your skills & attributes on page 1.

Page 3
Qualifications
List in reverse with highest qualification first. Include institute name and year graduated.

Education
Same as qualifications.

Training
Same as above 2. This section is for any further training done.

Other
Use discretion, but you can include hobbies, achievements, interests and languages.

References.
Usually 2 personal and previous 2 employers (for 4 in total). Most people will just put "References available on request" rather than list them.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all
Default Re: Caught in the catch 22. Do I need to alter C.V to suit kiwi Job market

Can you clarify what counts as a hard and soft skill
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:15 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilester
Can you clarify what counts as a hard and soft skill
Yeah, a hard skill is explaining things to you and a soft skill is candyfloss making.

WP
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Yeah, a hard skill is explaining things to you and a soft skill is candyfloss making.

WP