Catch 22

Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Stumpyfraser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Catch 22

Hi I have just come back from NZ for the 3rd time looking for work and I'm getting frustrated!
My job is on the ISSL, and I need a job offer to secure a PR visa but companies are reluctant to talk to me unless I have a temporay work visa and I can't get that without a job offer! Help! Does any one have any advice for me?
At present we are going to go out there for 6 months to look for work in February.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Catch 22

Ah ! NZ employers are still not understanding that it is a job offer first and then a work visa. Perhaps try to explain to would be employers that in order for a temp work visa to be issued NZ immigration require sight of the full-time permanent employment contract.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Stumpyfraser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I have explained this to prospective employers and also agencies but they just don't seem to understand!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had the same problem, he managed to secure an offer of a position after explaining to them that as soon as he had the offer letter in his hand he would go to the local Immigration office and get the Visa that day. Which is what he managed to do.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

It really is the 'chicken and the egg' syndrome. For us my husband kept applying for jobs but getting nowhere, then in July when Baker came on to the ISSL list the first job he applied for he got an interview eventhough he;s been out of the trade for 10 years. His new employer didnt mind that as he was more interested in the management side he's done since, and he proved during his visit he could still 'bake'.

It might have helped that he telephoned BEFORE sending his application so knew if there was any point in sending his CV etc or not.

He had a skype interview, then was asked to go to NZ for a formal interview (we paid the airfare, the prospective employer put him up foc and picked him up at the airport etc).

He got the job and they did the paperwork etc whilst he was there, immigration forms, job offer, job contract etc. the lot.

We are now going for our medicals this week and then sending off final paperwork.

His job ideally starts mid February.

It also probably helped that the kiwi employer's accountant is an ex pom too!
so knew the routine.

Last edited by ellenarosemary; Nov 28th 2011 at 2:15 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:43 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpyfraser
Hi I have just come back from NZ for the 3rd time looking for work and I'm getting frustrated!
My job is on the ISSL, and I need a job offer to secure a PR visa but companies are reluctant to talk to me unless I have a temporay work visa and I can't get that without a job offer! Help! Does any one have any advice for me?
At present we are going to go out there for 6 months to look for work in February.
I'm not surprised you're frustrated. It's understandable that they may not know exactly how the visa system works [after all I wouldn't know about the UK system] but they should be willing to listen when it's explained to them. How about sending/emailing/turning up with printouts from NZIS??

Just one thing to be aware of is that a job on the ISSL does not give you bonus points for 'absolute skills shortage' on the EOI. You may already know this but you did mention a PR visa.