Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Fly out on 30th Nov. NZ wife, UK Husband... urgent question guys!

Fly out on 30th Nov. NZ wife, UK Husband... urgent question guys!

Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

MyNZAdventure will become famous soon enoughMyNZAdventure will become famous soon enough
Default Fly out on 30th Nov. NZ wife, UK Husband... urgent question guys!

Hi everyone

Sorry, I should have researched this ages ago. I kind of buried head in sand as I've not traveled all that much. Fear of unknown sufferer I guess.

Really urgent question....

My wife (we married in Aug this year in England), was born and breed in NZ. Her parents are in NZ. She's been a bit homesick so I said we could go and live in NZ. We have a young daughter btw. Anyway, I'm not skilled, apart from a City & Guilds qualification in Sound Engineering. Her parents brought our air tickets because we've been struggling financially in Essex this last year. However, the alarm bell is ringing in my head right now because I just have this nightmare scenario playing out in my head that I'm not going to be given entry.

FYI, I applied for the police check certificate in England and I knew that would come back clean -No Trace- because I'm a law abiding citizen.

However, the air tickets are 'one way' therefore I really don't know how NZ immigration will view me when we arrive! Her parents said that we can apply for me to get a 'spouse visa' once we've arrived. I've just gone along with everything because I assumed they knew what they were talking about.

Please can someone explain to me before I worry myself to an early coronary attack, if her parents are correct.

I'm truly having nightmares about this. On top of the usual 'gonna miss my own family' type anxiety worries.

I thank you in advance for your time reading and replying.

Alan
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly out on 30th Nov. NZ wife, UK Husband... urgent question guys!

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...r/howdoiapply/

Hi Alan,

Looking at the above page in the Government site, it does mention dropping your application into your local Immigration Office in NZ.

However, as you are entering on a one way ticket, I'm really not sure if that is ok or not.

Unless anyone else on here with way more experience/knowledge than me says otherwise, I would contact Immigration and find out!

Hope all goes well.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

MyNZAdventure will become famous soon enoughMyNZAdventure will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply...

Yeah I really need to know as it'd literally break my heart to arrive after such a long flight, only to be kept in some kind of detention because I've only got a uk passport and the police check cert.

I really need to know if they'll frown because of no return flight... Oh God

Panic stations!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really nice

I have a feeling you need a valid return ticket if you haven't residency./
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

See, the way we both see it was as long as we applied for the residency within three months, we'd be okay.

My wife emailed NZI and they said just that. However, they don't know that we've only got one way tickets.

I really am panicking now, to the point of being sick.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:12 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Alan, calm down mate. To satisfy the entry requirements for vistors to NZ, you need to show a return ticket OR proof of onward travel.

Get yourself a oneway ticket to OZ from the Air NZ website, pay for a fully flexible ticket that will allow you to cancel it and get your money back. Then you have proof of onward travel.

Sorted.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Catch

I think the trouble's emailed NZI again and they're saying that as long as we've got a letter from her parents on their business headed notepaper it will be fine.

Phew
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:15 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Alan, just check with the airline as well, as they are liable for the cost of returning anyone home who is bounced by immigration. They might need some proof of onward travel or that immigration will let you in, before they will let you on the plane.

Have a good trip and hope you find NZ to your liking!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

ellenl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan,

I am a Uk citizen with Kiwi husband to be. We are applying for a visa before we go back but there was an option to get it once I was there.

Immigration may ask you for an onward ticket but I also know someone who went in with his partner on a one way ticket & nothing was said!!
It's true the airline may ask on check in if you have an onward ticket or visa.

I think you'll be ok, enjoy NZ, I can't wait to go back

Ellen
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Give yourself plenty of time to check in at the airport just in case the airline wont fly you on a one way ticket with only a tourist visa as it is not a usual scenario and they might need to investigate.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:04 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Catchafire and Capp. Make sure you arrive at the airport in plenty of time in case you have to buy a ticket out of NZ. Unless you buy a refundable one in advance just in case.

I have entered NZ three times as a visitor and each time the airline has checked my out of NZ flight prior to letting me check-in. I have also seen people having to urgently book a flight out of NZ or not fly.
It is the airline that will have to pay the fine for transporting someone without the necessary documents so they are going to be strict about this. You do not encounter NZIS until you arrive in NZ. The airline may agree to fly you there but I would suspect they will want to be absolutely certain that they will not become liable for letting someone without a suitable visa get on the plane-and this could take some time.

Another thing to make sure of is that you take all your documents-you will need to prove your relationship and how long you've lived together eg joint bills,photos, invites in both names etc Take everything!

Any reason why you didn't apply from the UK? NZ London are saying family/relationship applications are only taking 1-3 months to process.

Your Police certificate is only current for 6 months as well so you will need to apply before that runs out.
Good luck with the move!

Last edited by Persephone; Nov 28th 2011 at 12:08 am.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Fly out on 30th Nov. NZ wife, UK Husband... urgent question guys!

Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

We thought we'd be okay with NZI because like you say, you can apply once your in NZ for the partner visa.

However, I didn't realise that the airline will want to see proof that you have onward travel. This is going to cause even more stress now as we're literally supposed to be flying on the 30th. Not to mention the proposed super strikes that are likely to affect air travel on the 30th. Dire situation really for all travellers.

Hannah's just been on the phone to Korean air and they're saying we need a return ticket!

Impossible - we're leaving UK because we're struggling financially. To find that money (all be it refundable) is a hopeless uphill task.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:21 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

OK, let's look at what you'll need. I assume your daughter has a NZ passport so it's only you who needs a ticket for onward travel.
That ticket could be to anywhere, all you need is proof on onward travel out of NZ which is not the same as a return.

I've had a quick look on Expedia NZ, you can get a refundable ticket Auckland to Sydney on the 21/2/12 [I just picked a date] for $139 one way. That's not expensive and worth it for peace of mind and security, check with Korean Air before buying to make sure they're happy with it. I can't see why they wouldn't be as you have the required proof needed to travel.
Not wanting to pry but your financial situation sounds dire, would the inlaws be willing to help you out?
Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand
You will need to show us that you intend to leave within the period of your visa. For example:

•travel tickets (confirmed or open-dated) out of New Zealand to a country which you have the right to enter; or
•written confirmation from an airline or travel agency that onward travel has been booked and paid for.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Persephone; Nov 28th 2011 at 7:24 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone

OK, let's look at what you'll need. I assume your daughter has a NZ passport so it's only you who needs a ticket for onward travel.
That ticket could be to anywhere, all you need is proof on onward travel out of NZ which is not the same as a return.

I've had a quick look on Expedia NZ, you can get a refundable ticket Auckland to Sydney on the 21/2/12 [I just picked a date] for $139 one way. That's not expensive and worth it for peace of mind and security, check with Korean Air before buying to make sure they're happy with it. I can't see why they wouldn't be as you have the required proof needed to travel.
Not wanting to pry but your financial situation sounds dire, would the inlaws be willing to help you out? Hope this helps
Hi everyone...

Quick update:

We spoke to NZ house at the Strand at 4:55pm they weren't willing to email confirmation that we intended to apply for partner visa once we'd arrived (long shot but we thought we'd better try).

Hannah's parents therefore have purchased Madison and myself single ticket through their travel agent, think it was something like NZ$195 for me, NZ$150 for Madison.

Although I'd pointed out we could get refundable tickets, I guess because they've gone through their own agent (who more than likely wants to make some money on the transaction) They've gone and brought those.

I know what you'll all be thinking, exactly the same as me no doubt, but my hands were tied in terms of trying to explain.

We've checked with Korean and they have accepted the onward tickets, we've just got to take proof with us, which we'll print off.

At least we can relax now and spend tomorrow, our last full day in London with my family and try and put this behind us. Once Hannah and I are working we'll reimburse and everyone'll be happy (all be it minus my own family who'll miss me the moment we take off!)

It's a real compelling event for everyone, I know I'm not alone and 99% of expats go through the same emotions.

It's therefore reassuring to know that the expat community is strong and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys a lot more over the coming weeks, months and years.

Thanks a million guys!

AL
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:49 pm
Queen of the Underworld

There's usually a way round things if you take a step back and relax and good of the inlaws to arrange it. Shame it wasn't a refundable ticket though
Great news!

Enjoy your last day in the UK, at least you should have no problems at the airport [hopefully no strike!] and don't forget that printout

Have a safe journey, where are you going to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.