Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Brit grad heading to NZ in Jan 2017 - visa advice

Brit grad heading to NZ in Jan 2017 - visa advice

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

londoner91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit grad heading to NZ in Jan 2017 - visa advice

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and have done a fair bit of research on the range of visas out there that might be suitable for me. But, having spoken to a NZ consulate technical adviser who suggested I just go for the WHV, I thought it would be great to get some more opinions and advice from here.

A little bit about myself. I'm an environmental graduate, just coming to the end of an MSc in Environmental Technology at Imperial College London. I've also just finished a 16 month placement as part of the masters programme, which was based with a water company in their technical innovation team (testing new technology, sussing out water quality science, and all sorts of fun stuff). I'm heading over to NZ in January 2017 (flights booked), with the aim of trying my hand at life here. I'm committed, and want a permanent, skilled job, rather than a backpacker job (as I did on my WHV in Aus - great fun, but hopefully want to stay put in NZ).

I recently spoke to a technical advisor at the consulate in London (over the phone), who told me to just come on a WHV, and I shouldn't have a problem getting a job, although I did stress I was looking for permanent work, hopefully in the environmental sector, as that is where my skills / qualifications lie. Having read up on people's experiences, it does seem to limit people massively, and really put employers off the moment they see you are just on a WHV.

So I went looking for other options too.
- I'm really keen on applying for the Silver Fern Job Search visa. That seems to fit my goals and lack of many years experience, although I understand its highly popular and hard to get hold of one! However, on November 3rd, I will be trying to find the fastest wifi in costa rica to sit in and try and get a visa. My question is, if I am lucky enough to get through the application stage, I understand they will ask for passports / chest x rays? However I will be backpacking from October til January in Central America, so won't be able to send off my passport. Would they accept a copy, or a birth certificate? I'm hoping I can get the documents prepared to send off, on the off-chance / miracle I manage to get hold through the application, and then my mother can send off the documents from the UK? Does anyone know if this is possible? the technical advisor didn't seem to know about this.

The other option is the Long term Skills Shortage list work visa - I could qualify for that under the job "Environmental Research Scientist" as I have both the relevant qualifications and work experience (I have 16 months, they ask for 1 year). But then the issue comes with the requirement of a job offer - how on earth do people get skilled employment without the visa in the first place!? is it pot luck!?

The other option I looked into was the SMC visa - but, as was confirmed by the NZ technical advisor, my lack of work experience (need 2 years minimum to count towards points) and lack of job offer means I wouldn't stand a chance. I just wanted to get some kind of confirmation from you guys that this was correct? And I should just forget this visa as I wouldn't even be picked from the pool...?

The other option is the talent (accredited employer) visa. I assume, if I manage to get a job from an employer on this list, this visa would be the best option to go for? However, again, how on earth do you manage to persuade a company from the list to employ you without having this visa in the first place? It's great that there is such a huge range and number of employers on the list, but I just keep reading unless you have a work visa, the chances of being offered a job are slim, even if you are in the country ready to work. what are people's thoughts on this?

I feel I will better my chances of permanent employment by actually being in the country, so flights are booked from Central America to NZ for 18th January 2017. I will sort my WHV before I set off travelling, and will apply for the Silver Fern whilst travelling, as I would regret it if I didn't. It seems like the perfect visa, but near on impossible to get hold of!!! However I'm really keen to get myself into the best position possible for a job when I arrive, but I get a bit confused over which comes first - the job or the visa! I don't want prospective employers being put off by the fact I will likely be on a WHV when I apply for jobs, but then again it seems like I need to actual persuade an employer to a) either employ me as an environmental research scientist so I can then apply for the LSSL visa, or persuade an accredited employer to employ me so I can get the Talent visa.

Sorry for the ridiculous ramble. I just keep reading off-putting things about how limiting the WHV is, so was keen to get people's thoughts on my situation. Any similar experiences much appreciated!

Oh my Uncle is a kiwi in Auckland, and my mother has her Kiwi passport, but I can't get one by descent, as she wasn't born in NZ. Most inconvenient, mum

I have been to NZ many times due to our family links there, and love the country, and thought if I don't go when I finish my Masters, I may never go.

But anyway, any tips / advice / stories / opinions much appreciated.

And thank you for providing such a useful resource for people like myself. Your stickied threads are great!!!!

Many thanks,
Liz
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit grad heading to NZ in Jan 2017 - visa advice

Hi Liz, my you are going to be busy over the coming months.
Have you attempted the EOI points calculator to see how many points you get? if you get 140 or over you can apply without a job offer.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi MrsFychan,

Thanks for the swift reply.

Unfortunately, my points only came to 100, which seems a bit useless.

I got points for my age (24), level 9 uni qualification, a qualification which is in the "area of absolute skills shortage".

Couldn't get points for the family aspect, as my mother doesn't actually live in NZ.
Also, I couldn't get points for work experience in the "area of absolute skills shortage" as my relevant work experience is only 16 months, and frustratingly they won't award points for anything under two years.

So its not looking too good for the SMC visa.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Being on a WHV will not hamper your prospects of gaining a full time permanent job offer if there is one out there. If anything it will help as it means yo could start work strawight away and then simply apply for a temp work permit.

What you may be up against is actually being able to secure a post.

It is job offer first, then visa. Not the other way around.

From there you should have enough points to go the SMC route if you wish.

Yes. NZIS accredited employers are free to offer overseas people employment. They pay for that priviledge.

For the SMC route you really need a job offer in place .
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Being on a WHV will not hamper your prospects of gaining a full time permanent job offer if there is one out there. If anything it will help as it means yo could start work strawight away and then simply apply for a temp work permit.

What you may be up against is actually being able to secure a post.

It is job offer first, then visa. Not the other way around.

From there you should have enough points to go the SMC route if you wish.

Yes. NZIS accredited employers are free to offer overseas people employment. They pay for that priviledge.

For the SMC route you really need a job offer in place .
Hi BEVS, thank you very much for the reply. It's good to know there is potential out there on the WHV. So I'm assuming, if I can get a job offer, I should be able to start the process of the SMC visa, hopefully getting it in time to hop over onto that visa before my WHV runs out.

Many thanks for the reply!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by londoner91
Hi BEVS, thank you very much for the reply. It's good to know there is potential out there on the WHV. So I'm assuming, if I can get a job offer, I should be able to start the process of the SMC visa, hopefully getting it in time to hop over onto that visa before my WHV runs out.

Many thanks for the reply!
In theory , yup.

From what you have written, by the time you would perhaps have a job offer and then apply under the SMC for residency, you could well have the 2 yrs exp.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
In theory , yup.

From what you have written, by the time you would perhaps have a job offer and then apply under the SMC for residency, you could well have the 2 yrs exp.
Thanks BEVS!