British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   AU 176 Visa in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/au-176-visa-nz-696936/)

oz_dreamz09 Dec 14th 2010 6:35 pm

AU 176 Visa in NZ

Is an australian 176 visa valid in New Zealand? Is one allowed to work in NZ with a 176 visa?

BEVS Dec 14th 2010 7:23 pm

Re: AU 176 Visa in NZ

This is an employer sponsored Australian work visa isn't it .

Please check out the New Zealand Immigration website.

If you wish to come to New Zealand and work , you must first find a job offer and then apply for an NZ temporary work visa. If your occupation is on one of the New Zealand shortages lists an NZ employer would be free to offer you a job . If not , then the NZ employer must prove that there is no NZ resident or citizen that could fill that vacancy.

From the above I am assuming you do not have Australia Permanent Residency.

oz_dreamz09 Dec 14th 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks for you reply. This is a state sponsored Australian PR visa. I got this visa recently, so I am actually collecting more info. I guess you can advice me better now

BEVS Dec 14th 2010 7:34 pm

from the NZIS website.

If you are entering New Zealand with
  • a valid Australian passport, or
  • a current Australian Permanent Residence Visa, or
  • a current Australian Resident Return Visa
you will normally be granted a New Zealand residence class visa on arrival.

Pollyana Dec 14th 2010 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by oz_dreamz09 (Post 9040249)
Is an australian 176 visa valid in New Zealand? Is one allowed to work in NZ with a 176 visa?

Have a read of the Wiki article here - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Austra...ts-New_Zealand

Remember that if you are on a State Sponsored 176 then you should live and work in that Aus State for two years before moving elsewhere.

oz_dreamz09 Dec 14th 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks Pollyana and BEVS.. I was only trying to undertsand my options..

BEVS Dec 14th 2010 11:10 pm

Although you have now removed your timeline , I seem to remember that you have only had your AU 176 for a couple of days, hence the puzzlement over your request for this information . Given that there is a moral obligation that you remain in OZ as a courtesy to the Oz state that sponsored you, it does seem a wee bit early to be looking at your options.

You may not realise but there is a problem with people who get Oz state sponsorship and then immediately want to renage on the deal & use that as a back door into New Zealand. One has to hope that both Oz and NZ Immy tighten this up . After all an NZ PR or citizenship doesn't give this same automatic right for entry into Oz.

Buzzy--Bee Dec 14th 2010 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9040729)
Although you have now removed your timeline , I seem to remember that you have only had your AU 176 for a couple of days, hence the puzzlement over your request for this information . Given that there is a moral obligation that you remain in OZ as a courtesy to the Oz state that sponsored you, it does seem a wee bit early to be looking at your options.

You may not realise but there is a problem with people who get Oz state sponsorship and then immediately want to renage on the deal & use that as a back door into New Zealand. One has to hope that both Oz and NZ Immy tighten this up . After all an NZ PR or citizenship doesn't give this same automatic right for entry into Oz.

Bevs, it's my understanding that if you are awarded an Aus PR visa, regional or not, and then you arrive in NZ, you will be on arrival granted NZ PR. It then does not matter what happens to your Aus PR, so long as you continue to satisfy the requirements of your NZ PR.

This route is used by so few people that I'm not surprised there is confusion about it.

BB

oz_dreamz09 Dec 14th 2010 11:47 pm

I removed it so that I wont be questioned if my intentions like I just was for my previous post..and I dont mind putting it back too. As I said, after I got the PR, I happened to read about the advantages of a PR, and I only wanted to clarify about it. I understand that immigration rules can change, and that I have submitted a declaration form with my commitment. I would not want to bypass that.

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9040729)

Expat Kiwi Dec 14th 2010 11:49 pm

Yes. But be aware that you may not be able to get back into Australia if your Aussie PR lapses, or if Australia changes the rules for offshore holders of PR.

robbyarg Dec 19th 2010 6:36 am

This is a 176 visa which grants your rights in Australia, not NZ. However, it may be conducive to getting some job offer in NZ. And it's strange to see people advocating on where people should live and work with a PR for a particular country. There is something called a resident return visa which allows you to return to any particular country for which you have gained your PR. People move from one country to another and often use one country as a means of getting to another in the long-term. Nothing wrong with this.

Buzzy--Bee Dec 19th 2010 7:29 am

Originally Posted by robbyarg (Post 9048781)
There is something called a resident return visa which allows you to return to any particular country for which you have gained your PR. .

....assuming that you meet the requirements of the visa.

For instance if you gain Australian PR and do not validate within 1 year and live in Australia within 5 years you will not be eligible for a residents return visa.

BB

Pollyana Dec 19th 2010 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9048836)
....assuming that you meet the requirements of the visa.

For instance if you gain Australian PR and do not validate within 1 year and live in Australia within 5 years you will not be eligible for a residents return visa.

BB

.....which is exactly why we warn people that they may find themselves losing their PR status here and be unable to return to Aus ;)

BEVS Dec 19th 2010 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by robbyarg (Post 9048781)
This is a 176 visa which grants your rights in Australia, not NZ. However, it may be conducive to getting some job offer in NZ. And it's strange to see people advocating on where people should live and work with a PR for a particular country. There is something called a resident return visa which allows you to return to any particular country for which you have gained your PR. People move from one country to another and often use one country as a means of getting to another in the long-term. Nothing wrong with this.

That is your personal opinion and you are perfectly entitled to that, .The Oz employer and OZ state might well see things differently.