Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Applying for baby's 1st British Passport whilst in NZ

Applying for baby's 1st British Passport whilst in NZ

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Applying for baby's 1st British Passport whilst in NZ

I figured this could be useful information for others so deserved a post in its own right.

Our new baby boy is now approaching 4 weeks old. As detailed in my other post, him being born slightly earlier than planned caused some issues with our PR application.

We needed to get him a British Passport and was initially told by the Passport helpline in New Zealand that it'd take 4-6 weeks.

The timeline of what actually happened was as follows;
  • Saturday 18th June - Posted his passport application along with his Birth Certificate, our Marriage Certificate, both my wife's and my own passport too. Paid for a next-day service, but was advised by the lady in the post shop that it wouldn't leave them until the Monday.
  • Monday 20th June - {assumed} - Package leaves local post shop
  • Tuesday 21st June - {assumed} - Package arrives with The High Commission in Wellington
  • Thursday 23rd June - Shiny new passport (along with all of the ID we sent to them) arrives back with us. Passport shows an issue date of June 21st.

I don't imagine it's always this quick, but assuming your application form and ID etc checks out, it just proves that "4-6 weeks" can easily be a considerable over-statement too!!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:45 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for baby's 1st British Passport whilst in NZ

We renewed our youngests passport earlier in the year and that was 5 days start to finish so its not unusual for their service to be that quick.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Applying for baby's 1st British Passport whilst in NZ

Originally Posted by simonsi
We renewed our youngests passport earlier in the year and that was 5 days start to finish so its not unusual for their service to be that quick.
We were told that renewing a passport could be quite quick but that an application for a 1st passport would take considerably longer.

Nevertheless their service has been excellent... short of the 10min phone call I had with them to discuss the fact that nobody in NZ has known us for more than 2 years therefore I wasn't sure what to do about the counter-signatory.... $45??? but... the passport got here so it's worth it... kinda.