Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Advice sought please re: sponsoring parent

Advice sought please re: sponsoring parent

Old Jan 26th 2020, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Born in Somerset is just really niceBorn in Somerset is just really niceBorn in Somerset is just really niceBorn in Somerset is just really niceBorn in Somerset is just really niceBorn in Somerset is just really niceBorn in Somerset is just really niceBorn in Somerset is just really nice
Default Advice sought please re: sponsoring parent

Hi!
I have been in NZ since October 2006 and am glad I made the decision to leave Blighty and seek a new life here. I am married to a Kiwi and we have 3 lovely children. Anyway I am making some initial enquiries about bringing my mum who is 72 out to live here (my sister is in Newcastle, Oz and my mum has no other children or family in the UK).
My mum is not wealthy so cannot prove the funds required to emigrate independent of a sponsor, however I note that the parent category that reopens in Feb 2020 is requiring a minimum income (for at least two of the three years preceding the application) double that of the medium income for NZ (that is around the $105,000 mark). Unfortunately, despite considering myself reasonably well paid I do not earn that much and we remain a single income family as my daughter has down syndrome which necessitates my wife staying at home until she reaches school age.

I guess my first question to forum members is whether this criteria is likely to change in coming years (that is to be less inclined to favouring the rich only) given the fact that I understand it is influenced by political issues. Secondly, if my mum were to take the route of emigrating to OZ via my sister sponsoring her how would she stand on spending time in NZ on a OZ visa?

Any advice, constructive comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Old Jan 26th 2020, 8:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice sought please re: sponsoring parent

Originally Posted by Born in Somerset
Hi!
I have been in NZ since October 2006 and am glad I made the decision to leave Blighty and seek a new life here. I am married to a Kiwi and we have 3 lovely children. Anyway I am making some initial enquiries about bringing my mum who is 72 out to live here (my sister is in Newcastle, Oz and my mum has no other children or family in the UK).
My mum is not wealthy so cannot prove the funds required to emigrate independent of a sponsor, however I note that the parent category that reopens in Feb 2020 is requiring a minimum income (for at least two of the three years preceding the application) double that of the medium income for NZ (that is around the $105,000 mark). Unfortunately, despite considering myself reasonably well paid I do not earn that much and we remain a single income family as my daughter has down syndrome which necessitates my wife staying at home until she reaches school age.

I guess my first question to forum members is whether this criteria is likely to change in coming years (that is to be less inclined to favouring the rich only) given the fact that I understand it is influenced by political issues. Secondly, if my mum were to take the route of emigrating to OZ via my sister sponsoring her how would she stand on spending time in NZ on a OZ visa?

Any advice, constructive comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Can't help on the NZ side, but re the Aus visa -she would need a skills visa, she can't just come to Aus on sponsorship from her sister, though she might get a few extra points Once she has an Aus permanent visa she can move to NZ and live there but eventually her AUs visa will expire if she is over there. Then I think she would be OK staying in NZ, but if she ever left and wanted to return (even for a holiday) things could get difficult.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 8:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Advice sought please re: sponsoring parent

Can't see the criteria changing for a number of years as the opening and selection of the criteria is only happening in May this year with the current changes.
there is only going to be 1000 applications per year and those that already had their application in when it closed will be selected first on first in first looked at, so I'm guessing it will take a number of years before any application you may put in now will be looked at.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice sought please re: sponsoring parent

Just noting that nobody has replied to the question that I think I read.

If I understand correctly, the OP has a sister in Oz and a Mum in the UK.
The question was can the daughter in Oz sponsor her Mum to emigrate to Oz then can the Mum benefit from easier access to NZ for Oz citizens.

Possibly better adressed in the Australia forum?