Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

135 points no job - Podiatrist and Gasfitter

135 points no job - Podiatrist and Gasfitter

Old May 23rd 2011, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 135 points no job

Originally Posted by BEVS
Nursing and Podiatrist

HHmmm.....

As you know Nursing is on the Long Term Shortage list, so this means it is the strongest occupation to apply under.

Nero had also let the UK nursing registration lapse but now seems to have NZ registration.
Hi Bev

In response to your email, you are quite right I have recently gained my NZ Nursing registration after having let my UK Nursing registration lapse.

It was not a quick process to get my NZ Nursing registration it took nearly two years (which included finding my old nursing school which had morphed into a Uni; getiing my paperwork from my original nursing course; persuading the NZ nursing council and the colleges that I spoke to here in NZ that I did not need to go and complete a degree course here but that I could complete a return to practice course instead! and finally finding a return to practice course that was affordable and not $6,000).

As you can see it was not a quick process and at one stage the NZ Registration people suggested that I return to the UK to get my UK registration and then return to convert that to a NZ Nursing registration. So if you are able to get your nursing registration in the UK and you are not in a race to get to NZ I would certainly recommend that you take that path as it may be easier and much quicker than the path I took. If you are able to take some time to get your NZ registration and you do not need to be working immediately and do not need your nursing registration to claim your points then be my guest and follow in my footsteps.

Happy to discuss in more detail or answer any specific questions if that will be of assistance. Good luck whatever you choose.

Nero

Last edited by BEVS; May 23rd 2011 at 10:36 pm. Reason: tidy quotes is all
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

hi nero,wife not sure of best option,re register here in uk and then again in nz,or just apply for reg in nz,either way she needs nz reg,bloody complicated,and thats before i start to try and register my gas qualifications,which will probably be similar,thanks again folks keep it coming,
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pcmay10
hi nero,wife not sure of best option,re register here in uk and then again in nz,or just apply for reg in nz,either way she needs nz reg,bloody complicated,and thats before i start to try and register my gas qualifications,which will probably be similar,thanks again folks keep it coming,
Hi pcmay,

After doing my own prof' registration for NZ I would be tempted to do the nursing reg' in the UK as it could be easier to gather any info' needed from various places. For my registration I had to put together a portfolio to evidence that I met all NZ standards for practice and in addition needed police checks, certified copies of degree, bith cert', marriage cert', degree content handbook, letter of good standing from UK registration body etc etc which were easy to get without too great a distance.
I know it may be a little different for me as I am an occupational therapist but I am sure there will be some simmilarities.

Good luck with it all, I am sure it will all come together for you
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

hi again,she is actually a qualified senior2 podiatrist employed by nhs,but this is not on shortage list,that is why she has not kept her nursing up,however nursing seems to be the thing to make this happen...
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pcmay10
You are welcome pcmay

The gas/plumbing registration and licensing thing is a chicken and egg thing with NZIS.
You can't claim points without the PGDB registration . You can't get full PGDB registration without having taken their assessment course and sat their exam . Mega $$. You can't do that without really having worked here for a while as you need to know NZ rules , regs & working practices.

What you can do is to start your PGDB assessment process as you will need this anyway. Gather together your apprenticeship proof, C&G/NVQ certs as applicable, plus proof of work experience. Include as much as you can get hold of. Once the PGDB come back to you and state in writing that you are eligible to sit their PGDB registration, then you have something to show to NZIS. You also have something which will show to an NZ employer that you can be upskilled to NZ standards.
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: 135 points no job - Podiatrist and Gasfitter

Podiatrist ANZSCO 252611

I may have had a bit of a moment pcmay10. It would depend on your wife's qualification in this occupation I think. Is she of degree standard?

Commonly New Zealand District Health Boards appear on the NZIS list of Accredited Employers. In theory, this means that the District Health Board is free to offer an overseas person a job without having to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could do that work or be trained for it.
In the case of an accredited employer it doesn't matter if the occupation is on the shortages lists or not.

So - if there was a vacancy for a Podiatrist within one of the NZ DHB's your wife would be free to apply for that position and the DHB would be free to offer her the position.

Of course, this relies on her overseas Podiatry qualifications matching that of NZ & that she could gain NZ registration..

Podiatrist Board of New Zealand - please click the link

List of District Health Boards -

Hopefully link to NZIS accredited employers list
. Type in the DHB name to check it is accredited. I think most all of them are.

It's certainly another avenue for you to explore .
Old May 25th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: 135 points no job - Podiatrist and Gasfitter

Thank you for all you replies. Yes her podiatry qualification is to degree level the qualification and university is recognised by the podiatry board in new zealand and getting registered doesn't sound too tricky just costly. The 135 points did not include points due to nursing qualification or years of nursing experience.
points I think were made up of:-

individual (think this is age mainly) 25
Qual's (Podiatry Degree) 40
work experience (Podiatry only) 20
Family in NZ (her sister,nieces etc )10
my quals 20
my experience 20

Still not sure if worth submitting it or only worth it if our jobs , qualifications or work experience were in an area of long term skills shortage ?