Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

135 points no job - Podiatrist and Gasfitter

135 points no job - Podiatrist and Gasfitter

Old May 20th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all
Default 135 points no job - Podiatrist and Gasfitter

hi everyone,myself,wife and 2 young children 5 and 1,have filled in eoi and got 135 points,but no job offers,my wifes profession and my trade are not on shortage lists,however we think we would not struggle for work,have visited 3 times in last 4 years,got good idea and feel for place,any advice on whether worth applying .thankyou...

Last edited by pcmay10; May 20th 2011 at 6:28 pm.
Old May 20th 2011, 7:50 pm
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 135 points no job

Originally Posted by pcmay10
hi everyone,myself,wife and 2 young children 5 and 1,have filled in eoi and got 135 points,but no job offers,my wifes profession and my trade are not on shortage lists,however we think we would not struggle for work,have visited 3 times in last 4 years,got good idea and feel for place,any advice on whether worth applying .thankyou...
hi guys,

what jobs do you both do?
Old May 20th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

hi again,my wife is a qualified podiatrist presently employed by nhs,i am a qualified domestic and commercial gas service engineer employed by local authority,wife also trained as a nurse,but her registration has lapsed,i am also a time served plumber and a registered oil service technician with additional commercial gas catering qualifications,thanks for reply
Old May 21st 2011, 6:36 am
Nottingham

when are you looking to emigrate?

if it is soon you may wish to apply for jobs from the UK but if you are not ready yet you will need to gamble a little and wait as NZ employees haven't got the capacity to wait for people whom they have given jobs too. i think your absolutely spot on and you would not struggle to get jobs but the work will come getting a job before you go over to sponser you.

i am a qualified social worker so will not struggle being offered a job but my husband is a qualified bricklayer and he is a little worried.

you can alternatively use a rep agency to do this forward as we have done, it aint cheap but it certainly takes away all the stress of it and they have offices and contacts in NZ for jobs, houses etc.

let me know if you would like this number

jo
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by josephine123
if it is soon you may wish to apply for jobs from the UK but if you are not ready yet you will need to gamble a little and wait as NZ employees haven't got the capacity to wait for people whom they have given jobs too. i think your absolutely spot on and you would not struggle to get jobs but the work will come getting a job before you go over to sponser you.
Um. I'm not sure I understand this from you Josephine123 & for what it is worth , in my totally unknowing way & you may so much more know about this that me or others here but NZ employers do not sponsor. That is Australia.

They have written
my wife is a qualified podiatrist presently employed by nhs,i am a qualified domestic and commercial gas service engineer employed by local authority,wife also trained as a nurse,but her registration has lapsed,i am also a time served plumber and a registered oil service technician with additional commercial gas catering qualifications
You have written

i am a qualified social worker so will not struggle being offered a job but my husband is a qualified bricklayer and he is a little worried.
Quite.

you can alternatively use a rep agency to do this forward as we have done, it aint cheap but it certainly takes away all the stress of it and they have offices and contacts in NZ for jobs, houses etc.

let me know if you would like this number
Why

Actually and more

I will add here on the open forum that I , as a moderator and also as a person that emigrated to NZ, would prefer you made your recommendations on the open forum and not behind the scenes please.
I would say , beware of any Immy agent that can offer jobs or a house as part of a package &ask yourself how they do this.

Josephone123. You are not even here yet . you haven't an NZ resident visa by your own admission & you hang on an NZQA report about your qualifications but suggest to these people, who are in a totally different situation to you, that that spend money on a certain Immy agent.

I am a bit shocked.
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:52 am
Nottingham

bev's can you please look at the message i have sent to you as this does not need to be discussed in the open forum but i found the above to be quite agressive and completely unecessary as i am only informing people of my expereinces being in the UK trying to emigrate on today's market.

i can only appologise if i have given conflicting info to pcmay. i am not advertising on behalf of any agency which seems to be insinuated but can only say how these guys have been a tremendous help and support to me in my circumstances and merely suggested they get some expert/legal advice which i don't see anything wrong with that? and that is pcmay's choice.

sorry again pcmay if i have misled you.

Last edited by josephine123; May 22nd 2011 at 9:02 am.
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou for your inputs,i do realize asking for advice on an open forum on selling up leaving 2 good jobs and dragging a 1 and a 5 year old half way round the world is not ideal,however,if we can learn from other peoples experiences then its worth it,whether we act on the advice will be our decision,but dont stop trying to help....thankyou....
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:56 am
Nottingham

your very welcome mate and do as i do keep asking
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Just thought I would put my bit in here although not truly on the topic.

I used an agent for our visas (before they needed to be registered) and I thought it was the best £300 ish we have spent. It did take a lot of the stress out of the whole process for me which I was only too pleased to be rid of. I found our agent through a friend who had recommended him and used him for their NZ visas (not for jobs/houses etc).
Since that time in my own experience I have found INZ to not be as scary as I had imagined and can appreciate others views that you can do the visas without involving agents, as it is a straight forward process of gathering all the doc's required. I suppose for those with more complicated situations an agent may be advisable, but I have found INZ to be helpful and do still email the immigration officer who delt with our application to ask questions as they arise.

I suppose each person needs to consider all the options when applying for visa's and the help they may or may not want ?!?!?! I know I could have completed our application with my eyes shut but the worry wart in me too over and as this was such a life changing opportunity I did not want to risk anything going wrong .
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:16 am
`

Originally Posted by josephine123
bev's can you please look at the message.
I will . I have been meaning to have a wee chat with you about Immy forum posts and the like.

Originally Posted by Josephine123
I think your absolutely spot on and you would not struggle to get jobs but the work will come getting a job before you go over to sponser you.
Actually, they might struggle with the exception of possibly nursing. The trades are in the doldrums. Work can be very hard to come by and many tradesmen are on short working hours

I will repeat though. NZ employers cannot 'sponsor' prospective employees.

If the occupation is not on the shortage list , then any NZ employer wanting to employ the overseas person will need to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident or citizen that could do that work. They do this with proof of training scheme, advertising etc. NZIS won't just accept this either. They will look to the NZ Dept of Labour and apply a Labour market test to see who, in that area could do or be trained for that work.

The exception to this, would be NZIS accredited employers. They pay to be accredited and to be allowed to offer work to overseas people.

i am not advertising on behalf of any agency which seems to be insinuated
No. You'll find if you look around the BE Immy forums that most all Immy discussions & recommendations remain on the open forum. Those of us that give regular pointers & guidance tend not to accept interchanges via PM. There is a practical and sensible reason for this. It protects both parties.

When it comes to Immy consultant recommendations the consultant should be personally registered with IAA & in my opinion ( I am entitled to an opinion as a poster ) should be 'tried and tested' with good positive outcomes. People should also shop around for best price.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe this is all worth a thread or Wiki entry of it's own. After all it comes from personal experience & years of reading other people's experiences, trials and tribulations. I'll find the time.
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:31 am
`

Originally Posted by pcmay10
hi again,my wife is a qualified podiatrist presently employed by nhs,i am a qualified domestic and commercial gas service engineer employed by local authority,wife also trained as a nurse,but her registration has lapsed,i am also a time served plumber and a registered oil service technician with additional commercial gas catering qualifications,thanks for reply
Getting back to these posts.I'll split my response up into a couple of posts.

What is the make up of your points? Have you used the nursing quals for this please & have you also used the trade quals ?
Who have you used as the principle applicant and with which occupation?

135 is a good score but it isn't just about the amount of the points. It will be about the selection criteria too. Please read HERE

Looking at the history of selections. Have a good read HERE , you will see that a job offer does strengthen an application big time. Another thing that strengthens an application is points for an occupatin in shortage here. Gasfitting and plumbing is not in shortage as you have correctly identified. Neither is Podiatrist. Nursing is . The question being - again as you correctly identified - whether her lapsed quals would be recognised.
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:41 am
`

Plumbing and gasfitting.

Are you aware that to claim any points for this trade you must first have your UK quals and work experience assessed by the PGDB. I'm guessing that you probably do having been here several times already. Please have a good read here if not.

As you know plumbers and gasfitters are not in shortage here so an NZ employer is not free to offer you any work at all unless they are NZIS accredited. Both you and the NZ employer would need to go through the NZIS & Dept of Labour checks to ensure that there would be no NZ resident or citizen that could take up or be trained for that job. *

* Of course, if you come into NZ as NZ residents, maybe on the back of your OH being principle applicant, then the above paragraph doesn't apply. You would be free , as an NZ resident, to apply for any gasfitting job if the NZ employer would take you. You would work under a restricted license & your work must be 100% supervised and signed off until you pass NZ PGDB registration.
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:54 am
`

Nursing and Podiatrist

HHmmm.....

As you know Nursing is on the Long Term Shortage list, so this means it is the strongest occupation to apply under.

RobDon has indicated that it is the qualification that counts.

I seem to think , from reading posts from nurses, that you will need NZ nursing registration first to claim the points

Here is a useful but older nursing registration thread. also Nero had also let the UK nursing registration lapse but now seems to have NZ registration.

With regard to jobs, others have indicated that you can apply to District Health Boards directly or use a dedicated Health Workers agency. You will see which on the threads I have linked to. As your UK nursing registration has lapsed, you may want to wait until you have your NZ registration before applying for jobs. I'd suspect that as nurses are in long term shortage here, you'd have little problem getting a job offer in place.
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:01 am
`

Finally . Going back to the EOI with 135 points .

If this includes nursing and points for being in 'absolute shortage' , then yes, this is definately worth a shot. However, if it is using the nursing as principle then, in my personal opinion of course, it would be better for you to wait for the NZ nursing registration and , even better, gain a job offer in nursing to sew the application up tight.

HTH
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:46 am
Nottingham

[QUOTE=BEVS;9381388]I will . I have been meaning to have a wee chat with you about Immy forum posts and the like.

that would be nice, a freindly chat i take it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.